Diabetes burnout on the horizon

ConorD29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi folks, hopefully this is on the right thread? Well I’ve been going threw a tuff time recently and I’m on the verge of diabetes burnout. I’ve never burnt out before but I feel I’m coming extremely close to it.
I’m drinking a lot of alcohol trying to void my feelings. I’m really looking people to talk to before I end up ruining my life.
Any advice on how to manage stress and depressed feelings from a marriage breakdown? Any advice would be greatly appreciative.....

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been there myself.....diagnosed 3 years ago, kept on top of it for 2 years then last November diagnosed with heart trouble.....really lost it, got depressed, started drinking and not looking after myself.....deteriorated quite a bit, neuropathy accelerated but "came to" about 2 months ago and got it back together now trying to regain lost ground. Don't keep stuff to yourself....come on here and share it. You'll be amazed (and I know it sounds trite but it's true) how just knowing someone else is going through **** as well can make you realise it is worth keeping on.....so don't lose hope.

Reactions: ConorD29

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @ConorD29
Life sucks at times and diabetes makes it worse. It’s really easy for burnout or depression to creep up on you especially if alcohol is making you feel down as well.
So, deep breath. Talk to your DSN about how you are feeling. Keep testing and injecting- just the minimum if need be (food and driving).
Time will ease the relationship pain. You just need to look after yourself and work through it.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well you did the first bit by coming on here and telling others how bad it is right now.
Diabetes can feel really lonely and so is getting divorced. I think if you were to find some support you may get some perspective as bottling it up magnifies the issues in your head. Do you have anyone you can just lay it all out to?
When I feel rough I stick to the basics but am a little slacker on testing and carb counting etc. It gave me some sense of achievement that I was keeping my head above water at least during a tough time.
The other thing is the drinking - clearly a rubbish solution but especially when you are t1D. Are you drinking alone? Are you getting help from Relate to achieve an amicable 'un cioupling'?

ConorD29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Been there myself.....diagnosed 3 years ago, kept on top of it for 2 years then last November diagnosed with heart trouble.....really lost it, got depressed, started drinking and not looking after myself.....deteriorated quite a bit, neuropathy accelerated but "came to" about 2 months ago and got it back together now trying to regain lost ground. Don't keep stuff to yourself....come on here and share it. You'll be amazed (and I know it sounds trite but it's true) how just knowing someone else is going through **** as well can make you realise it is worth keeping on.....so don't lose hope.

Thanks for reply, great to hear you are on the mend now! I feel I will have a long way to go yet but your positive outcome has giving me hope :)

ConorD29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well you did the first bit by coming on here and telling others how bad it is right now.
Diabetes can feel really lonely and so is getting divorced. I think if you were to find some support you may get some perspective as bottling it up magnifies the issues in your head. Do you have anyone you can just lay it all out to?
When I feel rough I stick to the basics but am a little slacker on testing and carb counting etc. It gave me some sense of achievement that I was keeping my head above water at least during a tough time.
The other thing is the drinking - clearly a rubbish solution but especially when you are t1D. Are you drinking alone? Are you getting help from Relate to achieve an amicable 'un cioupling'?

Hi Nicole, yes I’ve massive family support who are helping with everything bar diabetes. I’m the only diabetic in my family so nobody quite understands how it can make you feel worse?
Drinking.... I’m drinking out with friends at home ect it’s I’m just drinking too much even for a none diabetic but I think I’m getting there with it and trying/have to cut down :)
No we aren’t at relate or anything like that, everything is very amicable so far so that’s a big plus I suppose!

ConorD29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @ConorD29
Life sucks at times and diabetes makes it worse. It’s really easy for burnout or depression to creep up on you especially if alcohol is making you feel down as well.
So, deep breath. Talk to your DSN about how you are feeling. Keep testing and injecting- just the minimum if need be (food and driving).
Time will ease the relationship pain. You just need to look after yourself and work through it.

Hi diaket, yes I’m due for an appointment at my DSN in 2 weeks so I’ll get talking to them properly then.
I’m just about doing enough to keep me a float at the minute but even talking to people that understand it makes you feel better :)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nicole, yes I’ve massive family support who are helping with everything bar diabetes. I’m the only diabetic in my family so nobody quite understands how it can make you feel worse?
Drinking.... I’m drinking out with friends at home ect it’s I’m just drinking too much even for a none diabetic but I think I’m getting there with it and trying/have to cut down :)
No we aren’t at relate or anything like that, everything is very amicable so far so that’s a big plus I suppose!
Hi. Sorry my OP sounds very nosy! Well you have good friends, family and are amicable so these are all things to be grateful for. I think non diabetics are usually amazed at what we have to think about on a daily basis because it appears as if we are 'just getting on with it' without any apparent effort. I know nobody else can really help but have you tried talking to someone about what you are going through before you've had too many pints etc.? It sounds as if you are doing loads of things right btw but need a little faith in a happier future given you're peddling quite hard right now.

Reactions: Diakat