Type 1 Eating habits and weight gain

Aladin

Hi everyone, this is my second post in the forum and I really need some help, my fiancé said she is gaining weight, she said that if I inject 16 units of insulin itss too much, if I inject 5 it's too less, if inject 6 or 7 still too less, she is lost on how to balance her food and injection, she has a factor that ruins her calculations, the stress and lack of sleep, due to the nature of her responsibilities, can you guys help me out with useful info or guidance. Your help is much appreciated.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
We can't advise on exact dosages, but we can give general advice and explanations.

Firstly, what type of insulin regime is she on? (Does she have one injection of long acting insulin a day, plus short acting before meals?)

Really, her clinic/doctor should be answering questions like this, or giving her enough information so that she can do the calculations. Diabetes is one of those illnesses where it's best for the patient to understand how to calculate and adjust their own doses. And unfortunately stress does make diabetes control more difficult.

I understand that you want to help her, and that is admirable, but it may also be a good idea for her to come on the forums and ask questions.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You should consult with her doctor about doses if you are unsure about it. Your insulin dose is based on what you need to stay in control of your blood sugars. You don't change it because of weight gain, you change it according to what you eat and need to keep your blood sugars in the proper range.

Losing weight or not gaining weight is still the same problem as everyone else has. It's just if you change your insulin doses, you have to change your food intake with it so you don't hypo or let your blood sugars go too high. So maybe set up a consult with the doctor or a nutritionist for help.

Aladin

We can't advise on exact dosages, but we can give general advice and explanations.

Firstly, what type of insulin regime is she on? (Does she have one injection of long acting insulin a day, plus short acting before meals?)

Really, her clinic/doctor should be answering questions like this, or giving her enough information so that she can do the calculations. Diabetes is one of those illnesses where it's best for the patient to understand how to calculate and adjust their own doses. And unfortunately stress does make diabetes control more difficult.

I understand that you want to help her, and that is admirable, but it may also be a good idea for her to come on the forums and ask questions.
Thank you for your helpful advice, I tried to convince her to participate in the forum but she doesn't have time at all, so am replacing her

Aladin

You should consult with her doctor about doses if you are unsure about it. Your insulin dose is based on what you need to stay in control of your blood sugars. You don't change it because of weight gain, you change it according to what you eat and need to keep your blood sugars in the proper range.

Losing weight or not gaining weight is still the same problem as everyone else has. It's just if you change your insulin doses, you have to change your food intake with it so you don't hypo or let your blood sugars go too high. So maybe set up a consult with the doctor or a nutritionist for help.
Thank you so much, I'll let her know

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Pls read and have her read Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution (book or ebook).
A study from the US states that Type One diabetics as a group are becoming overweight at a faster rate than the general population with less good control of BSLs so your fiance is not alone.
Experts are stating that certain dietary patterns and courses are part of the problem.
The book mentioned above is an alternative approach to dealing with the problem and gaining better BSL control. Best Wishes
And if she is too busy to read it she is not spending enough time on her own health to stay healthy.
She may also ? be comfort eating to cope with stress maybe - which if true is not good for her health either.
Her health is more important than any other responsibilities one would think and if she needs to see a professional to help her deal with the stress of work and find better ways to cope with it - that sounds like a priority too.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your helpful advice, I tried to convince her to participate in the forum but she doesn't have time at all, so am replacing her
Not going to advise on doses but all of us type 1 s or type 2s on insulin, need to get our basal insulin dose correct. If she is injecting that is the dose she takes once or twice a day. I can vary mine to account for stress/hormones by about 25%+ for example.
With regards to weight, it is good to get a minimal dose of insulin to keep blood sugars in check as treating hypos or eating more because you are afraid of them will cause her to gain weight more easily as any excess carbs not used for activity are then easily stored as fat. Plus a little too much insulin will make her hungry!
Stress can also cause comfort snacking and makes it much harder to control blood sugars so sticking to 2-3 main meals at similar times and amounts of food should help her stabilise too.
The diabetic clinic should give access to a dietician.
Ultimately though, although you are worried about her and that's very loving and supportive, she needs to find time to take care of herself. A little bit of time invested there will make her feel better and save time spent dealing with feeling too high or too low or too fat!