Removing birthdate

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone tell me how I go about removing my birth date from my personal details. I do not put any personal details on any group that I belong to and have never been asked for my birth date as being something that was required it has always been optional When I was born is not relevant to this group at all and I object to not having the choice to add it or remove it if I want to. I asked some time ago now to have it removed but it has never happened

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you change it in your profile to something else?
Mine shows as empty so I guess I never filled mine in, but if you can change it, just change it to some other random date.
I also make sure mine is not shown anyway (uncheck the checkboxes under where the date is in your profile), so no-one viewing the forums can see it.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you go to 'personal details' it says this: "Once your birthday has been entered, it cannot be changed. Please contact an administrator if it is incorrect."
To contact an admin you can send a mail to [email protected] to ask if it can be removed.
Or, if that's enough for you, you can uncheck the boxes that allow members to see your birthday.

Reactions: Brunneria

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pinkorchid - Nobody else would know your date of birth, so I guess at some point you must have entered it. As others have said, there are two options:

You can ensure you untick the boxes highlighted in yellow, on the image below. As your account confirms, that will ensure nothing is visible to other members.

If you are certain you want it removed, I may be able to do that for you.

Just confirm you want it deleted as opposed to hidden.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pinkorchid - Nobody else would know your date of birth, so I guess at some point you must have entered it. As others have said, there are two options:

You can ensure you untick the boxes highlighted in yellow, on the image below. As your account confirms, that will ensure nothing is visible to other members.

If you are certain you want it removed, I may be able to do that for you.

Just confirm you want it deleted as opposed to hidden.
Why is there even a field for birthdays? Member's data would be a bit more secure without it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is there even a field for birthdays? Member's data would be a bit more secure without it.

There is. Just like diabetes status or management regime, it can be very helpful, when responding to someone to know whether they are 18, 48 or 88. It is also useful for the site managers to know their site's chronological profile, if nothing else to hope to keep the published articles and content member appropriate.

Of course, not everyone chooses to publish their birth date, or birthday details. I don't. This can be managed on a self-service basis in the member Account.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is. Just like diabetes status or management regime, it can be very helpful, when responding to someone to know whether they are 18, 48 or 88. It is also useful for the site managers to know their site's chronological profile, if nothing else to hope to keep the published articles and content member appropriate.

Of course, not everyone chooses to publish their birth date, or birthday details. I don't. This can be managed on a self-service basis in the member Account.
That only needs to be their age or age group it doesn't need to be accurate to the day.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you go to Account settings, there is a heading Personal Details. The options are in there.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying this upload again:

upload_2019-10-30_13-49-55.png

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you go to Account settings, there is a heading Personal Details. The options are in there.
I realise that, but my point is that if you had a data breach, which has happened to banks and other household name companies, you are holding people's email address and date of birth, the latter is unnecessary in my view.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I realise that, but my point is that if you had a data breach, which has happened to banks and other household name companies, you are holding people's email address and date of birth, the latter is unnecessary in my view.

I'll pass on your feedback.

Reactions: Mr_Pot

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The age of a person should be sufficient the D/O /B is not needed to give advice
Carol

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The age of a person should be sufficient the D/O /B is not needed to give advice
Carol
You're not in any way obliged to fill that part out when joining the forum. If you're worried about security it's also good practice to change your birthday by a couple of days on any website asking for it.

Last edited: