Hotness please help

GeordieMark88

I don’t actually know if this is related to my Diabetes or not but my GP seems to think so.

I’ve been experiencing feeling very hot to the extent so just want to put my whole face in a bucket of ice. The hotness is on top of my head, my forehead, across top of my upper lip and my neck.

It’s a very hot feeling but not actually sweating. When I touch the areas they are dry.,

My GP says it’s down to nerve damage but there’s nothing she can do.

Any ideas? Could it not be linked to my diabetes?

It’s uncomfortable and affecting me day to day.

It can last a day or two then stop for two or three days.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That must be really uncomfortable for you - how long have you been t1 and what is your control like?

GeordieMark88

I’m 31 now and diagnosed when 13, so 18 years.

I had my moments where my control was bad, it’s stable again now.

GP had said wait until January to see consultant, but that’s too long, I can’t cope.

Rang DSN and left message, hopefully they have some ideas.

I thought it might be hot flashes but are those uncommon in men?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I honestly don’t know, I’m afraid - sadly symptoms we get tend to be put down to diabetes, whether they are or not. We’re just as prone to other illness as anybody else. Keep pushing for help and a diagnosis, it could be completely unrelated to your T1.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m 31 now and diagnosed when 13, so 18 years.

I had my moments where my control was bad, it’s stable again now.

GP had said wait until January to see consultant, but that’s too long, I can’t cope.

Rang DSN and left message, hopefully they have some ideas.

I thought it might be hot flashes but are those uncommon in men?
There are other reasons beyond the menopause which you could thnk about are:
Also do you have any other neuropathy symptoms e.g. hot/cold/tingly or numb feet/toes ? It s a pain when everyone attributes symptoms to diabetes. A bit lazy!
Other Causes for Hot Flashes

• Thyroid problems, such as hyperthyroidism, which causes an overabundance of thyroid hormone, can increase the body’s metabolism and lead to hot flashes and sweating. While hypothyroidism is the usual culprit in these cases, non-menopausal hot flashes can also be due to thyroid cancer.
  • Food and drink, including spicy foods, caffeine, and alcohol, can trigger hot flashes. While the symptoms appear after a meal or a few drinks, this type of hot flash can often be stopped by eating lighter and limiting or eliminating caffeine and alcohol.
  • Medication can bring on flushing and continue as long as you are taking them; changing medications often makes the condition go away.
  • Stress accompanied by a rush of adrenaline can produce a feeling of warmth like a hot flash, so if you live a stress filled life, you may set off this reaction.
  • Hormone-secreting tumors such as pancreatic tumors override the organs’ ability to help the body function properly and can lead to hot flashes and sweating.
  • Other conditions such as HIV and tuberculosis can produce symptoms similar to hot flashes and night sweats.

GeordieMark88

The DSN admin rang me and my nurse is going to call Monday so hopefully get to discuss it more. Am I entitled to book another appointment with a different GP and raise my concerns?

Reactions: porl69

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The DSN admin rang me and my nurse is going to call Monday so hopefully get to discuss it more. Am I entitled to book another appointment with a different GP and raise my concerns?
Yes you are. If your GP dismissed your worries you are entitled to raise them with someone else.

tomrose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t actually know if this is related to my Diabetes or not but my GP seems to think so.

I’ve been experiencing feeling very hot to the extent so just want to put my whole face in a bucket of ice. The hotness is on top of my head, my forehead, across top of my upper lip and my neck.

It’s a very hot feeling but not actually sweating. When I touch the areas they are dry.,

My GP says it’s down to nerve damage but there’s nothing she can do.

Any ideas? Could it not be linked to my diabetes?

It’s uncomfortable and affecting me day to day.

It can last a day or two then stop for two or three days.

I sometimes get really hot when my blood sugar is dropping towards hypo territory?... Is there any link with your blood sugars at the time you are hot?

Best wishes,
Tom

GeordieMark88

They are in normal range.

After discussing with DSN she recommended talking to the GP again because it could be hormonal and possibly my testosterone levels might be low.

Apparently the hotness mixed with some of my other symptoms may suggest this.

One of the symptoms of low testosterone levels can be hot flash like signs.

I had my thyroid levels and blood pressure checked in last few months and they were fine.

So I’ll need to explore this with the GP and on the advice of the DSN I’ve booked in with a different GP because the previous 3 visits to the other one have got me no where.