Sugar addiction

Luf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A friend has told me there is a patch similar to Nicotine patch which reduces cravings for sugar. Has anyone else heard of this

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
No.
I would be a little doubtful as Nicotine patches give you the drug through the skin instead of through the mouth and lungs. Inhalation includes all sorts of damaging tars and, micro-particles and other bad things. These are what do the damage.
A patch that gives you sugar through the skin wouldn't, as far as I can see, have the same beneficial (or at least less damaging) effect.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I'm not sure what this could be. I don't think it would be a sugar substitute, as these are large molecules that I wouldn't expect to pass through the skin. For most of us, sugar / carb cravings fall away dramatically after a few days, although it can be very unpleasant waiting for the "carb appetite" to wane. The biggest problem of course is that sugar is in so many things, including in things that you would not expect, such as savoury sauces. A patch to help control sugar cravings would be wonderful, but sooner or later we'd have to wean ourselves off of that as well.

D

Deleted member 308541

Not true.
I beg to differ, I gave a five packets of cigarette / nicotine a day habit cold turkey nearly thirty years ago.

Sugar aka carbs were beaten into submission within three months of going lchf.

Check the graph in my signature.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I beg to differ, I gave a five packets of cigarette / nicotine a day habit cold turkey nearly thirty years ago.

OK, so its true for you. But its not the only way, or even the best way for some people.

Reactions: Redshank

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Look the doughnut or the slice of cake or the chocolate bar in the eye and say no thankyou. :)
I am addicted to blue cheese at the moment though.

Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Perfectly fine you did it this way but your statement was:
The only way to cure an addiction is the "cold turkey" way...
To conclude your way is the only way only because it works for you is a bit bold, isn't it?
I don't go telling people the only way to get rid of an addiction is the slow way with minimal withdrawal symptoms because that's how I got rid of heroin almost 20 years ago.

There are many things in life for which there is no one true way, there are countless roads leading to Rome.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t heard of it either, nor can I imagine how it might work. I haven’t had sugar for 2 yrs and would find most biscuits cakes etc far to sweet for me now so I kid myself I’ve lost my sweet tooth. If I’m honest though I think that if I started eating sweet things again, after feeling ill for a while I’d probably go right back to where I was. What I’m trying to say is that it needs to be a complete lifestyle change I think. A patch can’t fix it as it’d have to be worn for ever. It’s much easier in the long run to just stop eating it and retrain your tastes and body and our mental attitude.
Jen Unwin has posted a good video on the diet doctor website about cravings and behaviour changes.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Each and everyone on here is different and unique. There are some days I would welcome a patch to stop sugar cravings. After three and a half years of LCHF I rarely crave sugar BUT on a bad day, stress, pain my other conditions, my body is screaming for sugar, 99% of the time it doesn't get any. However 1% of the time I will give in and then find whatever I've chosen is far too sweet as well as raising BG. I don't think this makes my bad or lacking in will power. Had it been the other way round then I'd have a problem. We are all different and manage our cravings differently there isn't a right or wrong way. But I still think a stop sugar patch would be good, anyone know where to find them? :smug:

Reactions: Redshank

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would think that a person who managed to come off heroin by his own efforts showed considerable and admirable willpower

Edited by moderator to remove reference to deleted content

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DJC3