Type 2 and steroids

Miss_Piggywig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry to moan but I am feed up of feeling awful. I'm on pred for PMR. This has sent my blood sugar so high. My diabetic nurse hasn't been able to suggest anything. Try and stay low carb although I crave sugar. Anyone any suggestions on what I can do or take and suggest to my diabetic nurse? Thanks

Miss_Piggywig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks. I think insulin is possibly where in going but no one will help. Drs say say DN but she doesn't know what to do either. So just left feeling awful with high blood sugars.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If you need insulin then you need insulin. If your DN isn't competent to help then can she refer you to an endocrinologist? My (very limited) understanding is that it isn't uncommon to need insulin while on steroids....

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Sorry to moan but I am feed up of feeling awful. I'm on pred for PMR. This has sent my blood sugar so high. My diabetic nurse hasn't been able to suggest anything. Try and stay low carb although I crave sugar. Anyone any suggestions on what I can do or take and suggest to my diabetic nurse? Thanks

Hi Miss_Piggywig,
Is your DN supportive of you trying Low Carb? - If so you are very lucky because for most of us both GP and DN are very much for doubling down on the conventional Low Fat, High Carb garbage that made us T2 in the first place!

Carbs and Sugars (and particularly in combination with fats) can be an addiction for certain people. There is no shame if you happen to be one of them.

So if you feel irresistibly drawn to sweet food then I can only suggest 2 possible courses of action:
Either you take the slowly cutting down approach which smokers do when using nicotine patches etc to reduce cigarette consumption.
Or you take the 'cold turkey' approach that hard drug addicts and alcoholics use to get clean/sober.

There are several no-carb sweeteners that you can use for the3 first approach.
There are many delicious High Fat or High Protein foods that you can eat to distract your mind from sweet things if you decide to take the 2nd approach.

Only you can possibly know yourself well enough to know which approach is more likely to work in your case.

Some others have succeeded in curbing BG increase and weight gain while on Steroids, so it is possible, but we all know that it isn't easy since most people gain weight while on steroids.

Best wishes,
Ian

Reactions: ShelleyDubs

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who craves sugar- though I do find that it has lessened (not gone) over time. For me what has helped is the no sugar syrups-very low carbs. They give me a bit of a sweet taste but not the cravings because (to be frank) they aren't as nice as sugar. The other thing that helps is diet jelly- for the same reasons.

Good luck

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
With PMR you normally would start on a high dose of preds but as it responds the dosage is usually stepped down but often only down to maintenance dose.

I have been maintaining my blood sugars in mostly the normal range for some while I don't have PMR but my condition is also treated with preds and have been taking them for about 17 years now. I have never been on insulin only metformin and have gained some control by diet IE very low carb healthy fat though this may not work for every one insulin or other blood sugar reducing meds or low carb and like me maybe lowish calorie intake are I think your only alternatives as preds do what preds do and you can't really alter that.

It maybe an idea if you ask your DN if it is possible to try diet or other meds for a while to see if you can bring your levels down. I though not on insulin would not hesitate to go on it if it was necessary

Good luck

You may hate preds but often they are all that keeps you going.

Last edited:

Miss_Piggywig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
With PMR you normally would start on a high dose of preds but as it responds the dosage is usually stepped down but often only down to maintenance dose.

I have been maintaining my blood sugars in mostly the normal range for some while I don't have PMR but my condition is also treated with preds and have been taking them for about 17 years now. I have never been on insulin only metformin and have gained some control by diet IE very low carb healthy fat though this may not work for every one insulin or other blood sugar reducing meds or low carb and like me maybe lowish calorie intake are I think your only alternatives as preds do what preds do and you can't really alter that.

It maybe an idea if you ask your DN if it is possible to try diet or other meds for a while to see if you can bring your levels down. I though not on insulin would not hesitate to go on it if it was necessary

Good luck

You may hate preds but often they are all that keeps you going.
Thanks
I'm waiting for an appointment with district team. I agree pred us keeping me moving at the moment. I'm at the stage if insulin will make me feel better I'll go for it.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is one thing concerning preds when on insulin as the effect on the livers reaction to insulin is sometimes inconsistent you have to be aware of the possibility of hypos and keep an eye on it as I say I don't take insulin and maintain by diet alone plus metformin but have had the odd hypo myself so I always test at bedtime and if I think I'm too low will have some carbs, it doesn't happen often you just need to be aware that it can.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've heard of this before - Diabetes (Particularly with a Type 2 on Steroids) as this combination definetely dosen't go well together as the steroids will interfere with the natural body's controls in dealing with the blood/glucose, hence raising the blood sugar levels.

By all means cut back on the Carbs and compensate by eating more of the HEALTHY fats as in the LCHF approach to controlling blood/glucose levels, but don't expect a miricle outcome or instant benifit from doing this.

It might be better to ask your DN or Dr to consider increading your steroid dosage (usually it's doubled up) and to then only take the steroids on alternative days. This will allow your body to better attempt to clear the rqised blood/glucose level on the days when the steroids are not taken.

Please don't change your medication dosage or routeens without seeking permission from your Dr. or DN as these are the people who will know your medical needs better than any of us 'Amateur's' would know here on the diabetic forum.

Best of Luck - Please let us know what happens.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I've heard of this before - Diabetes (Particularly with a Type 2 on Steroids) as this combination definetely dosen't go well together as the steroids will interfere with the natural body's controls in dealing with the blood/glucose, hence raising the blood sugar levels.

By all means cut back on the Carbs and compensate by eating more of the HEALTHY fats as in the LCHF approach to controlling blood/glucose levels, but don't expect a miricle outcome or instant benifit from doing this.

It might be better to ask your DN or Dr to consider increading your steroid dosage (usually it's doubled up) and to then only take the steroids on alternative days. This will allow your body to better attempt to clear the rqised blood/glucose level on the days when the steroids are not taken.

Please don't change your medication dosage or routeens without seeking permission from your Dr. or DN as these are the people who will know your medical needs better than any of us 'Amateur's' would know here on the diabetic forum.

Best of Luck - Please let us know what happens.

Yup prednisolone interferes with the livers sensitivity to insulin in such a way that the liver keeps on dumping glucose into the blood stream even though the amount of insulin being produced would normally cause it to stop doing so this drives blood sugars up. If and when sensitivity of the liver is restored even temporarily due to the inconsistency of the action of preds it immediately stops supplying stored glucose and you can get a pronounced reduction in blood sugars this is also true for T1s who may be taking prednisolone.