Are you an organ donor?

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mighty powerful...........

One of the richest and most powerful men in Brazil, Thane Chiquinho Scarpa, announced plans to bury his million-dollar Bentley, so he could drive around his afterlife in style. He received lots of media attention, mostly negative and was severely criticized for the extravagant gesture and wasting of a precious commodity. Why wouldn’t he donate the car to charity? How out of touch with reality is this guy? were some of the questions!
But, there’s a twist.
Moments before lowering the car in the ground prepared for the burial of his Bentley, he declared he wouldn't bury his car and then revealed his motive for the drama: Just to create awareness for organ donation.
“People condemn me because I wanted to bury a million dollar Bentley, in fact most people bury something a lot more valuable than my car,” Scarpa said during a speech at the ceremony. “They bury hearts, livers, lungs, eyes, kidneys. So many people waiting for a transplant and you bury your healthy organs that could save so many lives!”

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Way too many personal, social, religious and political questions arise outta that.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I would if I could but I can't so I shan't.

Really my kidneys are damaged my heart is 69 years old as are all my other organs and I have an autoimmune disease I would pity any one who had to rely on me for spare parts.

Reactions: Concordjan

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mighty powerful...........

One of the richest and most powerful men in Brazil, Thane Chiquinho Scarpa, announced plans to bury his million-dollar Bentley, so he could drive around his afterlife in style. He received lots of media attention, mostly negative and was severely criticized for the extravagant gesture and wasting of a precious commodity. Why wouldn’t he donate the car to charity? How out of touch with reality is this guy? were some of the questions!
But, there’s a twist.
Moments before lowering the car in the ground prepared for the burial of his Bentley, he declared he wouldn't bury his car and then revealed his motive for the drama: Just to create awareness for organ donation.
“People condemn me because I wanted to bury a million dollar Bentley, in fact most people bury something a lot more valuable than my car,” Scarpa said during a speech at the ceremony. “They bury hearts, livers, lungs, eyes, kidneys. So many people waiting for a transplant and you bury your healthy organs that could save so many lives!”
Yeah, I am. No idea how much use I'll be, but yes.

Reactions: SueJB

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had an organ donor card for many years, but i do wonder now whether my innards would still be re-usable since I'm now well past my sell by date...

I used to work with a girl whose brother had had 2 replacement kidneys, and another who'd had a life saving liver transplant, which made me even more aware of the importance of doing this.

Reactions: jjraak

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Mind you not withstanding my previous post I will add that they are welcome to any bits that are useful.

Reactions: SueJB

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
I used to be an organ donor, signed up about 30 years ago but five years ago i have decided to donate the body to medical science for anatomical examination.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I signed up for it decades ago. But now with my age and my medical problems I don't see any chance that something would be usable.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure that they'd want anything of mine, I'm pretty sure everything must be sugar coated by now (if nothing else) after at least a couple of decades of very bad control.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please consider even if you think your bits are worn out and of no use, my friend lost her husband last year to a massive heart attack, he was diabetic also with other issues not related to diabetes. She got a letter to say her husband had helped 14 people! Also anything that is considered not suitable for donation/transplant is used for research into diseases and medicines.

This is what changed my mind and by strange coincidence my card came through this morning :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I used to be an organ donor, signed up about 30 years ago but five years ago i have decided to donate the body to medical science for anatomical examination.
I'm in two minds about what would be the best utilisation of my body, organ donation or medical chop research. Still don't know, a waste to be burnt, defo not burial so how to make the decision is very hard.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am happy to be recycled but sadly not ' One careful lady owner' so will probably opt for the junk yard for scrap aka letting medical students study it.
Seriously it is an option and our future doctors need bodies to understand anatomy so it seems a moral purpose to me.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

And that of course if accepted would mean no funeral costs.:)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thinking about that if you've donated most of your body parts would you get a discount at the funeral directors.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have had a organ donor card for many tears, I do not think I have many bits that they can use as most of them are wearing out.