Type 1'stars R Us

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi everyone. I just thought I would like to share with you on how I control myself when eating a curry.
I have just started using the new Medtronic pump which has again improved my lifestyle on insulin. I
just want to demonstrate that it is possible to have the odd high carb meal if judged and controlled
correctly. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/how-i-control-having-a-curry.2562/

Well done on your curry "win"
I too am on a Medtronic pump the 640G and my control is now VERY good 90% of the time. I eat high carb meals most of the time. As long as you can accurately count the carbs and know how to release the insulin into you from the pump correctly then you will be fine :)

Last edited:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Reactions: Gary61 and Marie 2

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, been off the forum for a week (no I wasn't banned!) - half term week so off with the daughter, not sure why as she spent most of it in her bed (and she's not quite a teenager yet!). Had flu jab Wednesday and boy did it affect my BGs - consistently in the teens no matter how much insulin I ploughed in - back to 'normal' now.

Had a quick scan through all the posts I missed, loved the picture Sue didn't like - pity Famke's hand is just out of shot as I could well imagine what the hand gesture is - defo a profanity! :hilarious:
Good break from the weird and wonderful here then @slip. Babies yuk, idea of profanity.... dubious:D

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, totally in love with my Dexcom G6. It’s fab. The only slight issue is that the dressing is beginning to peel away with three days to go - but as I applied it in the clinic I didn’t use Skin Tac. I will when I put the next one on. It’s been really accurate, which makes running the Loop so much less “worrying” - that’s not the right word, but I’ve not had enough coffee yet. I’m much more confident to let it just do it’s thing and I’m spending MUCH less time thinking abut T1. Went to bed on a 6.0 and woke up on a 6.1 :) Basically cured ;)

Got all my paramedic uniform yesterday, shirts, trousers (so many POCKETSES, there’s even three on the left hand shirt sleeve!), boots (horrible and clumpy, will stick to my much higher spec Hazardous Area Reaponse Team ones), fleecy chill jacket, hi-vis anorak, hi viz tabard, white t-shirts to go under the shirt, belt, baseball cap and beanie. Weighed a ton, and as we usually have to walk twenty minutes back to the car, the uni let us bring it onto campus to collect it. Just waiting for my epaulettes with my personal number on, and I’m really pleased that I’ve been able to keep my existing Community First Responder one as I’ve got quite attached to it.

I’d be lying if I denied wearing it all yesterday evening :D :rolleyes:

Gig tonight, flu jab tomorrow.
Wow, luv to see a photo shoot of you in uniform. Does this mean because you've been given the uniform, you're now official and have passed exams and ready for lift off?

Reactions: porl69

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Good morning all....
Well I am not posting my numbers up today as I am definitely NOT cured :)
Currently on a 12.9 with a double arrow down....thank you rage blouse!!!!! Currently waiting for the alarm on my watch to start with a LO......pfffft
Fibber @porl69 you did post a number. Bet it's come down by now. Hug

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi everyone. I just thought I would like to share with you on how I control myself when eating a curry.
I have just started using the new Medtronic pump which has again improved my lifestyle on insulin. I
just want to demonstrate that it is possible to have the odd high carb meal if judged and controlled
correctly. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/how-i-control-having-a-curry.2562/
Hi @Gary61 I have to say when faced with a curry, I can't control myself........... I just dive right in. I don't have a pump... except for my bike and for me, sometimes the bolus and timing work and at others I just think................ Magic curry, could do better.
Usually more fresh coriander and chilli:facepalm:

Reactions: Marie 2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wow, luv to see a photo shoot of you in uniform. Does this mean because you've been given the uniform, you're now official and have passed exams and ready for lift off?
Sadly not. I have to resit one. Am devastated.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow,

Not a great night weather wise.

But, Bonfire night seems to have started early..

I'm fortunate that my dog is unfazed by the noise.

If you happen to have an infant? Be thankful it's wearing a nappy.. ;)

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Having cataract removed at hospital 8am tomorrow morning (Saturday surgery)
Hopefully I will be seeing things in a different light

Had my other eye done last November so although a little nervous I kinda know what to expect

Reactions: karen8967

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Think I've caught up after 5 days without internet access! Last load of washing just gone through then, bed.

Feeling much refreshed after a complete break away from my usual routines, just taking the car back tomorrow and will pootle about before launching myself back into the usual routines from Sunday onwards.

Blood sugars amazingly well behaved apart from my complete miscalculation for beans on toast last night. Not something I ever choose to eat, as a general rule, but I didn't have my book handy to check, and was running a bit on the high side after a very splendid cream tea earlier in the afternoon. (Well, the scone, butter, jam and cream was accompanied by coffee in my case as I don't do tea.) so it was more of an inject and wait... then when I did finish waiting, it was a case of eat about 50g of carbs before bed to be safe to sleep! Oops.... I like the 4.7 I woke on, but it wasn't a relaxing sleep as there was a 4.0 glaring at me from the meter when I woke around 3.00 a.m. and another few more carbs went in!

Reactions: porl69 and SueJB

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having cataract removed at hospital 8am tomorrow morning (Saturday surgery)
Hopefully I will be seeing things in a different light

Had my other eye done last November so although a little nervous I kinda know what to expect

Hi,

Then you know the score..
My mum had this done on both eyes a number of years ago. (One at a time from memory.)

Best of luck & wishes.. Yeah, I know "fiddling with the eyes." You'll come good.. :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Sadly not. I have to resit one. Am devastated.
A minor blip I'm sure... perhaps they couldn't count all the good things you did correctly?
A bit like when I took my driving test, did the hill start... no prob, 3 point turn... no prob, emergency stop..ditto and then was told to turn left and I, like the total plonker, turned right, swore massively, executed another faultless 3 point turn which was not asked for, and back to the test centre. Man said, "you can smile now Mrs DJ, you've passed"
You will too, it was just a little slip

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning enjoy the weekend everyone
FB_IMG_1569965402478.jpg

Reactions: Cumberland

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
A minor blip I'm sure... perhaps they couldn't count all the good things you did correctly?
A bit like when I took my driving test, did the hill start... no prob, 3 point turn... no prob, emergency stop..ditto and then was told to turn left and I, like the total plonker, turned right, swore massively, executed another faultless 3 point turn which was not asked for, and back to the test centre. Man said, "you can smile now Mrs DJ, you've passed"
You will too, it was just a little slip
Thanks lovely. Basically I got caught out on a trick question (which they specifically said they wouldn’t do in the run-up to the exams) - at this stage we need to be able to diagnose four specific, clearly different, identifiable rhythms on the heart monitor, and know whether to shock them or not. I got a rhythm that looks like a cross between two, we haven’t been taught it, both shockable, but I used the wrong name. A few of us got caught out by it, and we’re challenging the result. The more I think about it, the angrier I’m getting - we were deliberately tripped up on a test that was just to make sure we were safe using the defibrillator. The most annoying part is that husbeast is off work this week and we wanted to spend some time together (maybe even go away for a few days) before my placement next week. But now I have to be in Swansea every day this week. :mad::banghead: