Newbie prediabetic

Jarole

hi I’m newly diagnosed with prediabetes. I was enrolled on a diabetes prevention program in my area, but was very disappointed that the low carb idea was not really explored. I’ve now left that group, bought a book, and have lost 6lb! . But I could do with support and ideas and generally more of an understanding of how this works. The high fat content worries me a bit, but that’s what probably makes this diet reasonably easy!

M

Member496333

Fat is the elixir of life! But yes it takes some getting accustomed to the idea after a lifetime of conditioning that it will stop your heart dead. I'll take glorious dietary fat over breads & meds any old day of the week :D

Anyway welcome to the funhouse. Stick around - not everyone here always agrees on everything (wouldn't it be boring if we did?) but there will always be someone with an answer to your questions and usually someone with a solution to your problems.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Jarole

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I’m finding it hard to forget years of low fat conditioning. The nutritionist at the diabetes prevention program told me I could follow the low carb diet, but she was not comfortable advocating the high fat content that is encouraged. Hence I left the program.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the welcome. Yes I’m finding it hard to forget years of low fat conditioning. The nutritionist at the diabetes prevention program told me I could follow the low carb diet, but she was not comfortable advocating the high fat content that is encouraged. Hence I left the program.
What was the name of the program?

Hotpepper20000

I am concerned as the low carb/Keto way of eating is becoming more popular that the message of replacing fat for carbs is being left out.
For me increasing fats as I lowered the amount of carbs I ate was key to success.
It kept my blood sugar from rising after I ate and as a result kept me being hungry all the time.

M

Member496333

Well as you probably already know, there's only fat, protein and carbohydrate to choose from. Generally speaking, and although some disagree, protein is optimally used as building blocks and shouldn't be burned as a primary fuel source. In fact it can only be burned for fuel once reconstructed into glucose, so that wouldn't serve much purpose. I'd be interested to hear what she thinks you should replace the carbohydrate with. Scotch mist?

You did the right thing in no longer seeing this "nutritionist".

M

Member496333

I am concerned as the low carb/Keto way of eating is becoming more popular that the message of replacing fat for carbs is being left out.
For me increasing fats as I lowered the amount of carbs I ate was key to success.
It kept my blood sugar from rising after I ate and as a result kept me being hungry all the time.

Worse still is the risk that people will still be encouraged to use polyunsaturated seed oils as their primary source of fat, and will then end up actually increasing their consumption of them. In turn doing untold inflammatory damage to their bodies.

Hotpepper20000

Worse still is the risk that people will still be encouraged to use polyunsaturated seed oils as their primary source of fat, and will then end up actually increasing their consumption of them. In turn doing untold inflammatory damage to their bodies.

I agree, Canola oil here is very popular and is marketed as being healthier the olive oil and because its “local” being encouraged.
I have never used it in my home but have noticed now that I am more careful when eating out that my joints are less sore.

Reactions: Member496333

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi I’m newly diagnosed with prediabetes. I was enrolled on a diabetes prevention program in my area, but was very disappointed that the low carb idea was not really explored. I’ve now left that group, bought a book, and have lost 6lb! . But I could do with support and ideas and generally more of an understanding of how this works. The high fat content worries me a bit, but that’s what probably makes this diet reasonably easy!
At a very basic level - jut think about it as high fat simply being higher than the now common reduced/low/"lite" fat stuff that people eat. All you will be doing is eating enough normal fat in your food to replace the fuel no longer coming from carbs - you're not actually expected to shovel lumps of lard into you face.o_O

(I've never had any issues with "high" fat because I come from a pre fat phobia era.)

Robbity

ETA Some of the normal fat foods you could eat include full fat dairy - cream, yoghurt, etc, butter, fattier cuts of meat, oily fish, chicken with skin on, legs & thighs rather than white breast meat, olives, nuts, avocados...

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I agree, Canola oil here is very popular and is marketed as being healthier the olive oil and because its “local” being encouraged.
I have never used it in my home but have noticed now that I am more careful when eating out that my joints are less sore.

Out of curiosity, where is here?

That is pretty terrible that canola is being marketed as healthier then olive oil. :spitoutdummy:

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

I’ve been diagnosed 14 months now. My numbers have improved hugely since I started eating high fat. But in my head I still think it’s bad and it’s going to bite me in the bum at some point.

47 years of indoctrination willdo that to you.

My incredibly low fat didn’t do me any good. My high fat has reduced everything!!

Brains are a pain in the backside!!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I look at it as being full, rather than high, fat. It took me a while to get used to the idea that a full fat yoghurt was better for me than a low fat one but I got there in the end. You can always find my milk in the fridge at work as it’s the only blue top in a sea of red and green!

Jarole

Thanks for all the information, I’ve lost 10lbs on my “high fat” diet, feels really strange to be eating butter, milk, Greek yogurt, cheese etc, and lose weight. I’m now becoming a bit of a social bore when I try to persuade friends and relatives to cut right back on carbs. Can you explain about seed oils?!? I’m eating a fair amount of nuts and seeds, but do use sunflower and rapeseed oil as well as olive oil.

Jarole

My HBA1c was 46, I’ve been low carb for a couple of months, lost 10lb, but don’t know if it’s had an effect yet! My weight has stalled, but think I’m eating too many nuts! I was thinking of getting a home monitor, any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
hello Jarole and welcome to the forum,
Think you will find the issue with some oils is the method of extraction. As far as i am aware any cold pressed oil is fine.
As for "high" fat causing problems, my cholesterol levels have gone down as my consumption of cheese, full fat yoghurt and cream has gone up.
Daphne917 has a good attitude - full fat rather than high fat. that makes a lot of sense to me alo. after all full fat geek yoghut is only 10g per 100g not exactly huge amount and no added sugar needed.
Hope this helps.
best wishes for a healthier future
Liz

Jarole

hello Jarole and welcome to the forum,
Think you will find the issue with some oils is the method of extraction. As far as i am aware any cold pressed oil is fine.
As for "high" fat causing problems, my cholesterol levels have gone down as my consumption of cheese, full fat yoghurt and cream has gone up.
Daphne917 has a good attitude - full fat rather than high fat. that makes a lot of sense to me alo. after all full fat geek yoghut is only 10g per 100g not exactly huge amount and no added sugar needed.
Hope this helps.
best wishes for a healthier future
Liz[/QUOTE

thanks for the reassurance, yes I must think full fat not high fat. Very interesting about your cholesterol.