Low carb

bambee3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Avocado, Olives, Prunes,
The Herman Brot low carb bread I eat has 5 grams carbs in two slices...

ODWe0wK.png
Hi Tipetoo, I also live in Bundaberg, where do you get your bread from?

D

Deleted member 308541

Hi Tipetoo, I also live in Bundaberg, where do you get your bread from?
@bambee3 The Go Vita health food shop next to Repco in Takalvan Street has it their freezer cabinets at the back of the shop, it costs around $8.50 a loaf I think as I have not been in there for a while. It's cheaper to get it delivered from the factory though.

https://hermanbrot.com.au/

Last edited by a moderator:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on how many carbs you eat per day. It's about 11 grams per grapefruit or something... That's more than half my daily intake. Plus, it clashes with some medications, so you'd have to check the leaflet. (Statins and grapefruit are a problem). The only fruit I go for are berries with clotted cream or full fat greek yoghurt, or as a little side to my eggs with cacao, cinnamon and coconut shavings.
Is fresh grapefruit (without sugar) a good breakfast option?.

Last edited:

mefunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ham roll-ups are great - thin slice of ham rolled up with chopped, cheese, tomato and cucumber inside.
tuna salad in lettuce cups
large tomatoes with insides scooped out (not wasted though) and filled with chunky peanut butter
egg salad scooped up with celery sticks
avocados galore......

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I put a slice of ham between two slices of cheese.
You can put salad or pickles or mustard or horseradish in there too, if it floats your boat.

Goldenoldy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Visiting my son in Germany.Found protein bread with 14% carbohydrates.
I use Warburtons small wholemeal. It's about 9 per slice. Ok if your just low carbing. Interestingly, I find that if I stay totally off carbs for breakfast and have an egg scrambled with some cheese, I don't get hungry during the morning. However if I fancy a bit of toast even with marmite on, I'm struggling late morning. I don't understand the mechanics of that yet.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Warburtons small wholemeal. It's about 9 per slice. Ok if your just low carbing. Interestingly, I find that if I stay totally off carbs for breakfast and have an egg scrambled with some cheese, I don't get hungry during the morning. However if I fancy a bit of toast even with marmite on, I'm struggling late morning. I don't understand the mechanics of that yet.
The bread triggers release of insulin, which is rather slow to removes the glucose from your blood, but eventually your levels drop and you sense that as hunger. Eggs and cheese don't cause the release of insulin so you don't get the hunger.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Go for meats, eggs and salads. Ask for bread and spuds to be left out, or replaced with veggies or salad. They'd rather alter the menu than throw out perfectly good food. Bunless burgers are an option at any fast food joint for instance. :)
Do you have any suggestions for eating outside? Like restaurant or with friends?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just returned from 2 weeks holiday in Greece which was no problem as far as keeping to my moderately low carb diet of about 70g per day. Except that is for the flight home which was delayed for 5 hours and meant that I was very hungry at midnight in Athens airport departures. Only 1 cafe remained open which had a good selection of filled rolls and pastries so my non diabetic wife had plenty of choice but I had a cheeseburger and ate the bun as I was hungry. Sometimes it would be so convenient to eat commercially made, hand friendly food.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

MangosteenElbow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also ate the Herman Brot bread.
Now, I prefer the Macro low carb bread. It is roughly the same carbs per 100g. At first I thought eating the Macro bread had a hint of eating a cloth napkin but overall I prefer the "mouth feel" and it has less after effects than those which I get from the Herman Brot bread.
A$5 from Woolies, so it is easier and cheaper to buy.
I buy a couple of loaves at a time and freeze them.
I avoided bread for years (when on keto) but now I include this bread for fibre, micronutrients and a way of adding other fresh items to my diet.

If only they could add rye to the bread.
20191102_183512.jpeg
20191102_183447.jpeg