what foods can I eat?

kathy fardell

Dislikes
Curry
Help needed please I've been diagnosed with type 2 for 6 months now, i'm on Metformin twice a day, and I am soooooo confused re what foods I can eat and what to avoid. Theres a lot of conflicting advice out there, im lost big time.
You guys are so knowledgable so hoping someone can put me on the right track :? - Kathy x

C

catherinecherub

Hi Kathy and a warm welcome to the forum.

There is some information for newly diagnosed that will help you.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088 and if there is anything that you do not understand then please ask away.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Kathy and welcome to the forum :) I'm sure the members will have lots of ideas for you about what to eat but here is a basic guide for you written for new members which might set you on the right track which includes other useful information.

While I was preparing this post Catherine beat me to it - the information in her link is the same as written out below. Great minds...

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates
A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

pianoman

Hi Kathy and Welcome :eek: Confusing isn't it... and you are correct that the advice is contradictory "A is OK but B is bad" one minute, but the next minute we are told "A is bad but B is OK" :shock:

A couple of principles that I think just about everyone agrees on are:

1) make most of what you eat day to day, "real whole food" -- avoid foods that are processed, packaged, refined and concentrated. Focus on fresh food and home prepared meals. Natural foods that have a natural balance of nutrients -- not messed around by chemists in a lab.

and
2) as a person with Diabetes, use your Blood Glucose meter to test before and around 2 hours after each meal to see how it affects your BG... consider reducing, avoiding or otherwise controlling the impact of certain foods on your BG. For example: many find breakfast the time of the day when refined carbohydrates have the most impact on BGs so try eating them later in the day -- instead of cereal or toast for breakfast maybe try bacon and eggs or avocado, nuts and berries. If you find an whole apple spikes your BG, try half an apple in slices with some real peanut butter or cheese.

Good luck. Please stay around, read, share and ask questions :D

kathy fardell

Dislikes
Curry
:D Thanks for the replies so far you wonderful people. I'm typing left handed and very slowly as i had surgery on my right hand this week and its out of action for a few weeks. Thank goodness for porridge !!

reidpj

Porridge!!!!

My numbers went sky high, and stayed there for a few hours, the last time I tried porridge :(

But then again, maybe it's just me (it usually is :D )

Peter

edited for spelling :oops:

kathy fardell

Dislikes
Curry
Hi Peter hmmmm I never thought about porridge being not so good for Diabetecs , I will test myself more, thanks. It's a mine field of good v bad foods, I want it laid out in a definite menu lol

Marzeater

I find the advice given to all new members rather confusing.
So I've summarised it to ............

Whatever you like, don't eat it.

hope that is easier :D

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kathy

I'd say cut down drastically on bread, potatoes, pasta, rice and cereals. Meat, cheese, eggs and green vegetables are fine. Some people can eat fruit especially berries.

Anything you are not sure about you need to test your BS level before and 2 hours after eating it.

Hope this helps.

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kathy and welcome,
I have only just joined the forum but have been a type 2 for several years. I'm on metforminx2. I have only just started testing because I primarily wanted to lose weight and wanted to see which foods raised BS levels. For the first time since using the strips I can now see 5.8 etc. I went out for a meal last night. To a Mexican restaurant and tested afterwards. I was 10.8. BUT it soon resumed normal levels during the day. I have reduced my carb. intake considerable and it usually works out at 60g - 80g a day. If I see my BS levels too low in the future I will begin to add carbs back in again. Good luck!

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've adopted a few new eating habits since I was diagnosed T2 on 01/01/2010.

Cinammon - buy some powder and sprinkle it generously onto food you know will cause a BG spike - for me that is porridge.

Lemons - sprinkle lemon juice onto your food too whenever possible

Red Wine - have a glass of red wine every day.

Avoid white bread, white rice and cut right down on chips & potatoes

sandy2011

Me with T2:
At first (after being diagnosed) I read that brown rice was better for diabetes so I replaced white rice with brown rice, but the blood sugar did go up so I stopped eating rice, any rice, and pasta.
I switched to beans, lentils, steel cut oat and bran (good for the heart), 1200 calories / day.
After "trials and errors" I now eat only 2 kinds of fruit: avocados and strawberries (and not often).
I eat chickens, tofu, eggs, and fish. Vegetables: broccoli, zuccini, celery, bitter melon, etc.; I try to choose veggies that have 2g of sugar or less per 100g.
Yesterday I read about low carb diet and decided I will eat low carb from now on, will cut down beans, lentils, oat, bran and try to limit to 30 to 50 carbs/day and maintain 1200 calories/day.
I now drink only unsweetened soy milk. I drink coffee (2 to 3 medium / day)
Somehow I read that pumpkin was good for the pancreas and had load GL so recently I ate pumpkin, well, a lot, but I just found out yesterday it has 7g sugar per 100g. So I will have to cut this down too.
I eat breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack, and try to eat less than being very full. I go jogging 1 hour per day and I've lost 23 lbs in the last 6 months.

Me before T2:
I ate whatever I wanted.
:( Sigh.. memory lane....
Actually I was not into sweet treats much, I hardly ever drank soft drink etc, but I overate and gained weigh..

heathclowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
certain vegetables and time wasters
I was diagnosed last june as type 2 and was told to eat healthy food with fibre and carbohydrates in them, brown rice and pasta, then when we went to a seminar (I took my hubby so he could learn as well) we were told white rice and pasta is just as good as the brown, i have been trying to eat healthily for the last year but for the last 4 weeks all i can manage is sweets, as i have stomach problems at the moment and it seemed to be every time i had weetabix or bran flakes for breakfast i would be in the loo half an hour later and then if i also had a healthy brown bread sandwich an hour later the same problem, my hubby has switched me to white bread at the moment to try and see what it is causing the problem and since changing to white bread bingo my stomach problem seems to have eased

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
heathclowes said:
I was diagnosed last june as type 2 and was told to eat healthy food with fibre and carbohydrates in them, brown rice and pasta, then when we went to a seminar (I took my hubby so he could learn as well) we were told white rice and pasta is just as good as the brown, i have been trying to eat healthily for the last year but for the last 4 weeks all i can manage is sweets, as i have stomach problems at the moment and it seemed to be every time i had weetabix or bran flakes for breakfast i would be in the loo half an hour later and then if i also had a healthy brown bread sandwich an hour later the same problem, my hubby has switched me to white bread at the moment to try and see what it is causing the problem and since changing to white bread bingo my stomach problem seems to have eased

I would discuss this with your gp and he may suggest you be seen at the Gastroenterology clinic in your local hospital where they'll establish the cause of your problems.

Nigel

heathclowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Noblehead

I am seeing my GP tomorrow to get the results of my celiac blood test so she may suggest other things to find out what is wrong, its going to cost me my job if its not sorted, only been here for 4 months and already had 6-7 days off with stomach trouble

pianoman

If it is celiac then you might find relief by cutting out all wheat products... easier said than done if you rely on processed and packaged food from the stores but doable if you focus on real whole foods that you prepare yourself at home... you may also find this approach helps with BG control. Good luck :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
heathclowes said:
Hi Noblehead

I am seeing my GP tomorrow to get the results of my celiac blood test so she may suggest other things to find out what is wrong, its going to cost me my job if its not sorted, only been here for 4 months and already had 6-7 days off with stomach trouble

I was thinking along the lines of a gluten intolerence but it could be a number of things. I was tested around 5 years ago for celiac disease as this is common with type 1 diabetes, thankfully mine came back clear and a few dietary changes were suggested to control my discomfort, not had any problems since but do watch my diet carefully.

Good luck with the results!

Nigel

heathclowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I will let you know tomorrow lunchtime Nigel, I am at the docs at 7.20am but can only access the web during the lunch period between 12 and 2pm

heathclowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Got my results from the Doc, I have to go and see a gstroenterologist for further testing, but she did say I wasn't a coeliac, maybe suffering with IBS but also there is a slight problem with my liver function test

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Heathclowes, good luck with the gastroenterologist. I have quite bad IBS and found a low carb diet, cutting out nearly all the grains and fibre really helped.