Have any other low carbers quit dairy and noticed a big difference?

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I did lchf for 10 months and have to quit because it was making me really ill vomiting and lethargic. I still use butter and drink small amounts of milk but have cut most of the fat out of my diet and increased my carbs to 130 a day, I've lost weight and my numbers are the lowest they've ever been, Morning numbers are now always in the fives .

I also found that my osteoarthritis is better without the high fat so I am assuming it is because of the inflammation reducing by cutting out fat . I am slimmer too , lost 12 lbs .

Last edited:
Reactions: Daphne917

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I did lchf for 10 months and have to quit because it was making me really ill vomiting and lethargic. I still use butter and drink small amounts of milk but have cut most of the fat out of my diet and increased my carbs to 130 a day, I've lost weight and my numbers are the lowest they've ever been, Morning numbers are now always in the fives .

I also found that my osteoarthritis is better without the high fat so I am assuming it is because of the inflammation reducing by cutting out fat . I am slimmer too , lost 12 lbs .
Yes inflammation has to be monitored especially in heart disease patients. A few members found more pain on lchf. I had very bad palpitations and back pain. Pain enough to start using painkillers to enable walking with an aid. Pain I'd never had, ever!

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi WackyJacky64, I found your post interesting on how being on a low carb high fat diet made you feel really ill, and wondered whether you could tell me what you eat instead. I am new to the forum, and after a blood test about eighteen months ago was informed that I am pre-diabetic. I purchased a meter to monitor my blood glucose levels, and have found that my readings are creeping up. I've been following a high fat/protein diet and attempting to cut out the carbs, but I, too, feel ill on it. I have no energy whatsoever. Some years ago I did try the Atkins diet and followed it religiously, and experienced the 'flu' symptoms which never went away, and never lost any weight!

I love carbs, though, obviously, avoid them, Having tried the high fat/protein diet, one gets fed up with having to cook and labour over meals, and quite honestly often I long for a thick ham sandwich with mustard, or similar. So, what do you now eat? Are bread and potatoes included in your 130 grams of carbs a day?

I am female, elderly, with arthritic pains! But for most of my life have tried to follow a healthy diet, and it has paid off dividends until about two years ago when I had a knee replacement (this still causes me stiffness and pain in that area) and then recently being diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

I'd be pleased of any advice.

Best wishes

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi WackyJacky64, I found your post interesting on how being on a low carb high fat diet made you feel really ill, and wondered whether you could tell me what you eat instead. I am new to the forum, and after a blood test about eighteen months ago was informed that I am pre-diabetic. I purchased a meter to monitor my blood glucose levels, and have found that my readings are creeping up. I've been following a high fat/protein diet and attempting to cut out the carbs, but I, too, feel ill on it. I have no energy whatsoever. Some years ago I did try the Atkins diet and followed it religiously, and experienced the 'flu' symptoms which never went away, and never lost any weight!

I love carbs, though, obviously, avoid them, Having tried the high fat/protein diet, one gets fed up with having to cook and labour over meals, and quite honestly often I long for a thick ham sandwich with mustard, or similar. So, what do you now eat? Are bread and potatoes included in your 130 grams of carbs a day?

I am female, elderly, with arthritic pains! But for most of my life have tried to follow a healthy diet, and it has paid off dividends until about two years ago when I had a knee replacement (this still causes me stiffness and pain in that area) and then recently being diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

Best wishes
Have you ensured that you have enough electrolytes? Magnesium potassium as well as sodium? The lack of these can make you feel awful and they are essential and required to be thought about a little more deliberately on this way of eating. It’s a common issue. In mild cases it’s ongoing keto flu and lack of energy. In more severe cases it can even give heart palpitations and more worrying symptoms.

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I'm dismayed that some people talk about dairy (or high Fat) causing inflammation as though that happens in a majority of cases rather than just in those who are lactose intolerant.

My own impression is that I would have been able to achieve a Low Carb 'Way Of Eating' without consuming a considerable amount of chees, cream, Full-Fat Yogurt on a daily basis.
Unless you are Lactose intolerant, none of the above is inflammatory. However most poly-unsaturated seed-oils known euphamystically as 'vegetable oils' are inflammatory for everybody because they are mostly Omega 6 which is always inflammatory!

What you want is as much Omega 3 saturated and mono-unsaturated oils/fats as possible (which are anti-inflammatory, but are at such low levels in the Standard American Diet (15:1 instead of 1:1). So unless you are Lactose intolerant, high fat/low carb dairy is extremely good for you!

I wouldn't even consider giving up dairy - why the heck should I since for me it is one of the greatest pleasures of the LCHF 'Way Of Eating' ?
But we are all different, so dairy may not be appropriate for some, and for those unfortunates Low Carb will be much harder to achieve (unless they are completely Carnivorous)!

Reactions: Speedbird

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Best wishes

Hi, yeah sure . I now eat bread just a few sliced a day with some cooked meat in of any sort. I also eat small amount of potatoes daily and even a small yorkshire pudding , I am now making gravy with gravy salt (comptons) and a teaspoon of flour to thicken the gravy.
I am also able to eat fresh cream chocolate eclairs and none of the above foods spike me.
I have cut out double cream and only have a small amount of cheese if any , i have above ground veg and a small portion of carrots , basically I have introduced all foods back apart from processed cakes biscuits and try to stick to home made foods. I haven't tried fruit as yet because I am not really a lover of fruit , but i do love blueberries and strawberries.
I've even tried porridge for breakfast and two hours later no spike, but again a small portion.
I don't have sugar in coffee and only have a dash of milk full fat milk , i eat butter still as it is healthier, I eat all meats fish and salad I use aldi mayo , I eat eggs and lots of them bacon fresh tomatoes mushrooms ,I've cut out the walnuts as they are high fat and I feel better not eating them, I eat dark chocolate and I have two pieces daily with a coffee , I have used myfitnesspal to calculate the daily carbs from my foods I registered .
The pain in my joints has improved so much I am now able to sleep through the night again .
I hope this helps and I also walk daily even if just for 20 minutes .
If you need any more info let me I am glad to help if I can ,x
Since cutting out most of the fat and

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi, yeah sure . I now eat bread just a few sliced a day with some cooked meat in of any sort. I also eat small amount of potatoes daily and even a small yorkshire pudding , I am now making gravy with gravy salt (comptons) and a teaspoon of flour to thicken the gravy.
I am also able to eat fresh cream chocolate eclairs and none of the above foods spike me.
I have cut out double cream and only have a small amount of cheese if any , i have above ground veg and a small portion of carrots , basically I have introduced all foods back apart from processed cakes biscuits and try to stick to home made foods. I haven't tried fruit as yet because I am not really a lover of fruit , but i do love blueberries and strawberries.
I've even tried porridge for breakfast and two hours later no spike, but again a small portion.
I don't have sugar in coffee and only have a dash of milk full fat milk , i eat butter still as it is healthier, I eat all meats fish and salad I use aldi mayo , I eat eggs and lots of them bacon fresh tomatoes mushrooms ,I've cut out the walnuts as they are high fat and I feel better not eating them, I eat dark chocolate and I have two pieces daily with a coffee , I have used myfitnesspal to calculate the daily carbs from my foods I registered .
The pain in my joints has improved so much I am now able to sleep through the night again .
This is for me the way to personalise a blueprint.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm still finding my way around the site and have only just discovered your answer! I think I'm about to follow along similar lines to yourself, because I've been on high fat/high protein and my blood glucose levels have gone up. However, the last couple of days I've included more carbs (not too many), reduced a lot of the fats, and my BG readings have dropped slightly. And eating those few extra carbs does make meals more appealing. As you quite rightly say it is about keeping the amount of carbs small. However, I am an advocate of healthy oils, and include virgin olive oil, avocado oil, and butter in my recipes, albeit I don't go over the top with these.

Another bonus is that since having a few more carbs my energy levels have returned to normal, which is wonderful.

Wow, I shall have to try a fresh cream chocolate éclair. It does make sense that they wouldn't cause much of a spike, because the carbs contained in the pastry must be fairly negligible, and they are not overly sweet.

We're all different. We must all discover what works for us personally.

Best wishes.

P.S. Love the picture of the cats!

Reactions: WackyJacky64

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm still finding my way around the site and have only just discovered your answer! I think I'm about to follow along similar lines to yourself, because I've been on high fat/high protein and my blood glucose levels have gone up. However, the last couple of days I've included more carbs (not too many), reduced a lot of the fats, and my BG readings have dropped slightly. And eating those few extra carbs does make meals more appealing. As you quite rightly say it is about keeping the amount of carbs small. However, I am an advocate of healthy oils, and include virgin olive oil, avocado oil, and butter in my recipes, albeit I don't go over the top with these.

Another bonus is that since having a few more carbs my energy levels have returned to normal, which is wonderful.

Wow, I shall have to try a fresh cream chocolate éclair. It does make sense that they wouldn't cause much of a spike, because the carbs contained in the pastry must be fairly negligible, and they are not overly sweet.

We're all different. We must all discover what works for us personally.

Best wishes.

P.S. Love the picture of the cats!

You're welcome , let me know how it goes . Keep the carbs low such as a small scoop of potato and a few slices of carrots , and I think the smaller meal portions may be the answer to all this , my numbers (bs) are still normal and I feel great .I am pleased you feel better too and have more energy :)

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Meat, organs, poultry, eggs, seafood. I drink bottled water or animal soup. Absolutely love the simplicity and have never felt better.

Grain-free for life :D
Do you eat any vegetables or salad? If not, surely you must be vitamin and mineral deficient? When you have an MOT at the doctors are the results good? I'm asking because we are constantly told to eat our greens to stay healthy!

M

Member496333

Do you eat any vegetables or salad? If not, surely you must be vitamin and mineral deficient? When you have an MOT at the doctors are the results good? I'm asking because we are constantly told to eat our greens to stay healthy!

Nope. Animal produce only. Absolutely zero plant matter. Why would consuming animals not provide adequate nutrition for animals? Organ meats especially are chock-full of micronutrients.

It's not for everyone, of course. Indeed, from a diabetes standpoint it's not even necessary for me - I beat my diabetes long before going carnivore. However, I now prefer life without plants and feel better than I did when still consuming them. Yes, I have an annual MOT and there are no issues. From time-to-time I also undertake private lab testing that further evidences good health. I've never been healthier, stronger or happier.

To avoid sending this thread too far off-topic, have a look around in this discussion if you are interested. Lots of us are thriving plant-free and enjoying the lifestyle: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carnivore-corner.164920/

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Just listening to this podcast and wonder how many others have had a similar experience when moving from low carb high fat diets that include dairy products to low carb high fat diets that eliminate all dairy.

It seems to work well for this man (weightloss and reducing inflammation). Did it work for you?

I am yet to try a week without dairy to see what happens. I do notice that if I eat a lot of cheese, my morning fasting levels are higher.

https://lihfliving.com/why-lchf-works/
Just listening to this podcast and wonder how many others have had a similar experience when moving from low carb high fat diets that include dairy products to low carb high fat diets that eliminate all dairy.

It seems to work well for this man (weightloss and reducing inflammation). Did it work for you?

I am yet to try a week without dairy to see what happens. I do notice that if I eat a lot of cheese, my morning fasting levels are higher.

https://lihfliving.com/why-lchf-works/
I went HFLC two years ago. I eat a lot of dairy. I have had ankylosing spondylitis since I was 23 (I'm now 65). My joints have been far less painful since I switched my diet despite the high dairy intake, so I have no intention of cutting dairy out of my diet. It still amazes me that eating carbs made me fat whereas eating fat doesn't. The medical profession has a lot to answer for demonising fat.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From a personal point of view, my high fat is almost all dairy because I don't like fatty meat, although I do eat a lot of salmon and eggs. I eat tons of butter, plus cream, cheese, yogurt and so on. I am 71 and also spring out of bed in a morning without aches and pains. At the beginning of my journey in 2014 I lost a shed load of weight (33%) and I have maintained my target weight for almost 5 years, still eating plenty of dairy.
And how's your LDL behaving on high fat dairy if I may ask?

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Minor bump on this. Nearly three weeks off the dairy now. I wasn't actually expecting to say this, but I feel even better. I haven't lost any weight but my stomach is now flatter. Absolutely zero gas or bloating. Also my joints feel like they've been oiled. I feel half my age in that regard.

Actually, when I say "off the dairy" that isn't technically accurate. I am still consuming a small quantity of hard cheese with some meals. However, I have read that hard cheese differs from regular dairy in that all the sugar has been eaten by the microbes, and the proteins have been 'folded' so are no longer inflammatory.

So in summary, although I already felt great and wasn't aware of any problems I had with dairy, just quitting double cream has had a beneficial effect. Very surprising to me.
I expect that but i love double cream, however it raised my LDL to >9....