Medtronic 640g sub standard infusion sets

iantib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was persuaded to switch from Accu-Chek insight to Medtronic 640g since then my hba1c has gone from 40mmol to 68mmol. I have been in ketoacidosis 3 times. I have only had the pump for 23 days!
The MEDTRONIC infusion sets compared to the ROCHE ACCU-CHECK ones seem such poor quality. the mio's just do not inject without kinking.
My problem is its a 4 year sign up :-( The other infusion sets they have offered me sound horrific, steel cannulas that need 2 large stickers attached to your body & need changing every 24 hours.
How have they managed to supply the UK market with such poor quality accessories.
I believe there is now available to buy MIO Advance that solves these issues, but people with similar issues to mine have been waiting for them for over 12 months on prescription. Medtronic say there arnt any available.

Does anyone know who we can speak to about medical companies supplying sub standard kit?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@iantib I've been using Medtronic pumps for 11years. I've only used 2 sets, the Silhouette and the Mio. The only reason I changed from the Silhouette was that the shorter tubing was too short when I used certain sites, but the longer tubing Silhouette was too long. I then changed to the Mio and used the 9mm cannula for several years till it started hurting in some sites, then I changed to the 6mm Mio.

As @helensaramay says, certain cannulas suit some but not others. This doesn't mean they are all substandard. Have you actually tried different sets? Medtronic told me they couldn't send samples of a different set without the approval of my DSN. Perhaps you could ask your DSN for samples of different sets.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
The Mio is rubbish in my experience. Often the cannula would come out, usually in the middle of the night. I'd be alerted to high sugar, correct it and fall back asleep. 30 mins later high blood sugar, correction, back to sleep. By the third time I'm thinking somethings not right, take the cannula off and realise it's all wet with insulin.

I switched to the Paradigm Sure T and have very few issues with these. Much less bruising / soreness and it actually stays in place.

Also my experience of Metronic ANZ is their support is less than adequate but fortunately places like here and the Facebook groups offer much more user focused support.

I've not seen the Mio Advance but looking on the site it looks like a huge disposable serter made of plastic? I'm already annoyed by the amount of plastic wastage and would actively seek to avoid further adding to recycling / landfill sites with yet more medical waste.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @iantib - I have also had many issues with the mios so switched to the Sure T which is a steel tipped set and have never had an issue in the 2+ years since using it.

Reactions: masonbason63

Saffron26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used the Sure T sets for over 3 years and find them very reliable. The 2 stickers are small and don’t cause any problems. I change sets every 2 days as per the instructions. Can you get some samples so you can actually see and touch the Sure Ts before writing them off?

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m having lots of problems with the Mios, changed to Mios a few weeks back, after using the quicksets for the past 6 years. They were too causing issues. They seem to stop working after around 30 hours Leaking cannulas and running high BG.Now thinking of the Sure T.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I’m having lots of problems with the Mios, changed to Mios a few weeks back, after using the quicksets for the past 6 years. They were too causing issues. They seem to stop working after around 30 hours Leaking cannulas and running high BG.Now thinking of the Sure T.

Hello Anne - I switched to the site t’s after similar issues and not had a problem since - thoroughly recommend switching as soon as you can as much easier to insert and no leaking or absorption issues now.

Reactions: Ann48

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We gave up on mios too as they kink at inappropriate moments. Sure T are fab and my daughter loves them as they never fail. We change every 2 days or occasionally 3 if we forget

Reactions: Juicyj

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
I think I was stressing a bit, but I had a right game putting in a new cannula at the weekend. It just would not sit comfortably - took 4 goes to get it right. But a million x better than the Mio.

TIP: replace your cannula in the morning, not the end of the day. You might think it's all in place but get woken up with crazy high levels and who wants to have to replace all that at 4am?

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello Anne - I switched to the site t’s after similar issues and not had a problem since - thoroughly recommend switching as soon as you can as much easier to insert and no leaking or absorption issues now.

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Helen46

Hi, I changed from the Silhouette to Minimed Quick Sets a couple of months ago due to the type of issues you were describing...however, I was then advised to change the site from my abdomen to my thigh. I was a bit dubious but this is certainly more reliable than what I was doing before. Theory is too many infusion sets/injections into abdomen...try virgin territory.

Reactions: SallyEzra

SallyEzra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also changed from the Accu-Chek Insight to a Medtronic (MiniMed) Pump about 3 months ago. For around 4 weeks I was rapidly getting through my supply of the Mio Cannulas, but am now more accustomed to it & get most cannulas to function properly most of the time. I generally agree however that the quality of the pump & accompanying CGM supplies are not as robust as the supplies used with the Accu-Chek Insight pump & are definitely not as user friendly. I still have to really concentrate when putting a cannula in & ensure that my 2 small children are fully occupied (!) or else I find it is likely to go wrong!. In my experience, Accu-Chek products are usually a lot less user intensive than Medtronic's & appear to have undergone greater consumer research. That being said, I am so grateful for my current Medtronic pump with CGM versus the Accu-Chek Insight system I was using, because it really is so much safer from the perspective of managing hypos & not letting me 'park' the matter until I have dealt with it!.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I fully agree with SallyEzra I changed from the insight after 8 years to the Medtronic 670g the first two weeks were hell, keytones high sugars and continuous bleeping mainly at night, I ended up feeling totally let down completely I learnt so much from YouTube as the instructions in the handbook were too small to read, and even though they say the support is in the UK it’s always a very strong accented person that sounded from space that I could never understand.

I ended up demanding a new pump after a short period of time, which I received.

Now after a lot of frustrating days and nights I seem to be doing ok I think !!

The Mio’s are very fiddly and time consuming but I’ve not had any kink at all my bug bare is the length they only do them in 80cm I used 100cm on my insight in fact I’ve not used anything else since pumping I’ve always been with Accu-Chek 20yrs plus

I am enjoying the CGM that seems to work without even thinking about it
I was self funding a LIBRE that now sits alone with spare sensors totally alone no.

I’ve found definitely my saviour is YouTube it’s been a real help