Low Carb-ing Losing Interest in Eating -Going Keto Now??

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
I started low carbing about five months ago? after counting calories for over a year.

I'm now noticing that I want to eat fewer and fewer calories. I just don't feel like eating to bring my calories up anymore.
I just have a coffee now and I feel stuffed. And, I'm sure not going to start eating chocolate bars.

For breakfast I either have 3 eggs maybe a little bacon, one piece of toast.
or
Will have a vegan protein powder smoothie with some frozen fruit and some soy beverage. Stuffed!

I'm wondering if I'm going keto now.

Thanks for letting me post.

Gary

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always noticed that when eating low carb my intake of food was quite low, though I was always interrupted before very long by an intervention from my doctor wanting me to go low fat low calorie high carb. Ketosis does reduce appetite, from what I understand and have experienced.
As your toast has very little nutrition you might consider eating a salad with your eggs, or cooking a stirfry - the advice is to include as many different colours of vegetable as possible as they indicate variation in content.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started low carbing about five months ago? after counting calories for over a year.

I'm now noticing that I want to eat fewer and fewer calories. I just don't feel like eating to bring my calories up anymore.
I just have a coffee now and I feel stuffed. And, I'm sure not going to start eating chocolate bars.

For breakfast I either have 3 eggs maybe a little bacon, one piece of toast.
or
Will have a vegan protein powder smoothie with some frozen fruit and some soy beverage. Stuffed!

I'm wondering if I'm going keto now.

Thanks for letting me post.

Gary
Keto is about the amount of carbs you eat, with ketosis practically guaranteed at 20 grams a day or less. Dunno how many there are in your toast, soy and frozen fruit, all in all... (Most smoothies use banana's, and those are very high carb). So could be, or not. You'd have to pick apart everything you eat and do some calculations, figure out if you're likely in ketosis or not. If you're only having 2 meals a day that would go towards intermittent fasting, however.

I would say that real, actual food would be better than something that saw the inside of a smoothy maker. It destroys the fibres, and makes the sugar in the fruit you use hit the system a lot harder. Me, I'd ditch the bread, up the bacon (or sausages, or salmon, or cheese, or...) and have a salad, meat/poultry/fish and veggies instead of the shake. But that's entirely up to you. What are your bloodsugars doing, do you know?

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I put 1/3 of a cup of bran buds in my smoothie along with some frozen fruit. The piece of toast I eat is whole wheat 65C per slice 5g of carbs. My daily carbs are around 120g. I told my MD and she said she's a low carb'er as well and didn't warn me off my low carbing. I'm in my mid sixties now and used to be a bing n purger, which made me very very obese. Those days are long behind me. Thanks all for the feedback!

Reactions: BigAlan

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I put 1/3 of a cup of bran buds in my smoothie along with some frozen fruit. The piece of toast I eat is whole wheat 65C per slice 5g of carbs. My daily carbs are around 120g. I told my MD and she said she's a low carb'er as well and didn't warn me off my low carbing. I'm in my mid sixties now and used to be a bing n purger, which made me very very obese. Those days are long behind me. Thanks all for the feedback!

That's nowhere near ketosis then. :) Do you know what your bloodsugars are up to? (For me, 120 grams a day would still be way too high, while others are perfectly fine at 150. It's a very personal thing). Good news being, if your bloodsugars aren't in the non-diabetic range, there's still wriggle room, you could go lower if need be, and should you want to. Just be sure to get all the nutrients you need, whatever way you go. And glad your doc supports you!

Reactions: Grandma Misti

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks, @JoKalsbeek
Last five days my carbs have been less than 100gr, yesterday was 50, but mostly bewtween 70 and 100gr/day.
My calories run around 1000C/day, maybe 1100C/day. (I love a small banana in my smoothie but too carb heavy ergo I think twice about it.) My BG have been fine. I just don't like eating. I started incorporating almonds, to ward off nervous munchies. I think keto is around 50gr/day? We're so brainwashed to bloating ourselves with carb laden foods. Thanks again for feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grandma Misti

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @JoKalsbeek
Last five days my carbs have been less than 100gr, yesterday was 50, but mostly bewtween 70 and 100gr/day.
My calories run around 1000C/day, maybe 1100C/day. My BG have been fine. I just don't like eating. I started incorporating almonds, to ward off nervous munchies. I think keto is around 50gr/day? We're so brainwashed to bloating ourselves with carb laden foods. Thanks again for feedback.
Keto is usually 20 grams of carbs or less. I actually found it easier to just aim for a low amount of carbs, so I didn't have to calculate all the time whether I was having too much. Keto's good if you can't add up to save your life, like me, haha. ;) Seriously though, most of us here don't count calories... Some do, if there's a lot of weight to lose, but be careful you don't get malnourished. It's the fats and protein that keep the vitamins and minerals up. By the way, there's more carbs in some nuts than others.... Pecans and walnuts have my personal preference, particularly because if I have a bag of (salty <3 ) almonds, that bag is as good as gone. ;) https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts might help a little too.

Reactions: oldnevada

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just as an aside, well done on the eating disorder remission! It's great to hear when people win. I binge but don't purge, but I haven't achieved long term control yet.

• Hug
Reactions: oldnevada

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Keto is usually 20 grams of carbs or less. I actually found it easier to just aim for a low amount of carbs, so I didn't have to calculate all the time whether I was having too much. Keto's good if you can't add up to save your life, like me, haha. ;) Seriously though, most of us here don't count calories... Some do, if there's a lot of weight to lose, but be careful you don't get malnourished. It's the fats and protein that keep the vitamins and minerals up. By the way, there's more carbs in some nuts than others.... Pecans and walnuts have my personal preference, particularly because if I have a bag of (salty <3 ) almonds, that bag is as good as gone. ;) https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts might help a little too.

Thanks, @JoKalsbeek.

I've been finding that controlling my carbs, a calorie count drop subsequently follows and pay less attention to it.
(It's like driving my five speed Jeep Patriot, I drive by the tachometer, and hardly look at the speedometer cause road speed follows my RPM's as long as I keep them around 2000rpm's. )
I do eat liver, sardines etc to get my iron etc. I kinda like sardines.
I've just had a two egg omelet with some cheddar and a small piece of toast and feel 'very' full, almost nauseous.... Like I said, my stomach does not like to be full. That's a good thing. Thanks for the reference... I've been following Dr. Becky Gillaspie on her YT channel...

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just as an aside, well done on the eating disorder remission! It's great to hear when people win. I binge but don't purge, but I haven't achieved long term control yet.

Thanks, @jpscloud!

Hang in there. You'll get it under control. Glad you're not purging.....

Reactions: jpscloud

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having checked and found that my BG goes higher eating bread than veges, even if I match the carb count, I would recommend swapping the bread, even if it is low carb - a stir fry or salad with many different colours of veges would be more nutritious.
II have found a couple of types of bread with 5gm a slice, but I really do prefer the veges option - The bread gets used when I have kippers, which overload my taste buds without something to dilute them.

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have always noticed that when eating low carb my intake of food was quite low, though I was always interrupted before very long by an intervention from my doctor wanting me to go low fat low calorie high carb. Ketosis does reduce appetite, from what I understand and have experienced.
As your toast has very little nutrition you might consider eating a salad with your eggs, or cooking a stirfry - the advice is to include as many different colours of vegetable as possible as they indicate variation in content.
Thanks @Resurgam

Sorry so long in responding, acknowledging. I lose track of chronology very easily. Yes, vary coloured veggies great for antioxidants. I just don't like feeling full any more. I've just realized I've dropped another pant size. That makes four so far. I used to weight 270lbs and yo-yo'd quite a bit after my last two half marathons, but that has completely stopped now since the pandemic.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The beauty of low carbing is ingested calories are not important, as our bodies make up the required amount from fat storage, this is why we end up eating less, but still getting the amount of calories needed, those stored calories being used is the reason your trousers became too big.

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The beauty of low carbing is ingested calories are not important, as our bodies make up the required amount from fat storage, this is why we end up eating less, but still getting the amount of calories needed, those stored calories being used is the reason your trousers became too big.
Hallelujah!! I have to take-in two more pairs of running tights! Also, I'm back into my GAP jeans I haven't been able to wear for twenty years!!

• Funny
Reactions: aylalake

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

"Intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people are not offended."

Author unkown
I have kept my wife's 501 red tab jeans for just this purpose. We are trying low xarb for her and keto for me from Monday, 01.01.2024. It might take a year + for her to fit those heads but that's my plan.lol..