Carnivore Corner

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wagyu sirloins are definitely worth paying for..tender and tasty.. stood out in the rain to cook them too..
IMG_2913.jpeg
IMG_2915.jpeg

Mushroom was eaten too.. almost carnivore..cooked in duck fat..

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight’s dinner at Rodizio Rico in Brum

CD05797F-C481-4C15-BC82-187ED63AD3A4.jpeg

Posted, deleted and undeleted so that misbehaving photo could be added.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larissima

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some advice needed from the pros please.

My BS is having another stubborn rise. In the 12s this morning. 10.3 on Sunday morning, 9.9 on Monday morning. Doesn’t go down much during the day, the lowest I’ve had is in the 7s

Having been on IF for 3 years now, with some EF thrown in, low carb and Keto, I decided to embark on carnivore.
Only 2 days in so far but a steady rise in blood sugars.
On Sunday
Breakfast: bacon and eggs, lunch: just coffee and cream, dinner: steak and mushrooms
Monday (not normally a breakfast day)
Breakfast: scrambled eggs salmon and a little cream cheese, lunch: pork rillettes and chicken with mushrooms, coffee and cream,
Dinner: chicken cooked in butter, a plate of cheese. Still a bit hungry so a bag of pork cracklings, decaf with cream.

Our evening meal is always about 6pm and I usually don’t eat until midday the next day unless it’s the weekend.
So, am I eating too much? I don’t snack but I do get hungry. Am I expecting too much after just 2 days?

It’s been a hard 3 years since diagnosis and I know it’s not a competition but I would dearly love to have some normal BS readings without meds.

Thanks
PS. I’ve just been out for my morning walk with the dogs and my BS is down to 8.3. Still high though.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Maybe physiological insulin resistance is keeping your BG values high at the moment . They will most probably settle down as time passes. Two days is not much time for your body to adjust to less carbohydrates. I am new to this way of eating ,about 18 days so far and its only now that I am observing more stable results. I have tried before and failed I think because I was not patient enough to allow sufficient time and collect enough results to "get the picture of whats going on". So my advice is to be patient.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe physiological insulin resistance is keeping your BG values high at the moment . They will most probably settle down as time passes. Two days is not much time for your body to adjust to less carbohydrates. I am new to this way of eating ,about 18 days so far and its only now that I am observing more stable results. I have tried before and failed I think because I was not patient enough to allow sufficient time and collect enough results to "get the picture of whats going on". So my advice is to be patient.

Thank you Pasha. I will carry on for a bit longer and monitor. It is a bit depressing to see such high numbers.
I just wanted confirmation that what I’m eating, and the amount, is right as I was under the impression that eating a lot of protein could raise blood sugar if not enough insulin is produced.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you Pasha. I will carry on for a bit longer and monitor. It is a bit depressing to see such high numbers.
I just wanted confirmation that what I’m eating, and the amount, is right as I was under the impression that eating a lot of protein could raise blood sugar if not enough insulin is produced.

Yes thats correct, its called GLUCONEOGENESIS. We all must find our individual amounts of proteins that can be tolerated. Takes time and a lot of finger stabbing.

Reactions: Speedbird

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes thats correct, its called GLUCONEOGENESIS. We all must find our individual amounts of proteins that can be tolerated. Takes time and a lot of finger stabbing.

Which is usually considered to be demand driven for most.. i.e. your body makes glucose from protein when it needs it ... not simply because it has protein within it.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Right, I think I get it. I don’t produce enough insulin so a high protein diet will spike me?
And it’s a question of getting the balance right.
I guess a huge plate of beef wouldn’t do me much good but a cheesy ham omelette may be better.
I will have to experiment.
Thank you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right, I think I get it. I don’t produce enough insulin so a high protein diet will spike me?
And it’s a question of getting the balance right.
I guess a huge plate of beef wouldn’t do me much good but a cheesy ham omelette may be better.
I will have to experiment.
Thank you.
Have you had your insulin production tested?

M

Member496333

Which is usually considered to be demand driven for most.. i.e. your body makes glucose from protein when it needs it ... not simply because it has protein within it.

I love you but if I read this one more time my head might explode :hilarious:

It is true that GNG is demand driven, but if you're not getting the balance of fuel from fat then there IS a demand for glucose and the liver will make it from amino acids if it needs to. I suspect the amount of body fat that one has available to burn (or is able to burn*) is a major deciding factor in whether or not the liver turns to manufacturing glucose. *Pre-existing hyperinsulinemia may also hinder ketone production, in turn forcing the liver to turn to glucose in situations where fuel is scarce.

Things will eventually settle down as insulin sensitivity returns, but those with very little body fat may still find that they need to be mindful of getting enough fuel from fat, otherwise their body will need to turn to glucose production, and excess amino acids give it the raw materials with which to do so.

I don't mean to sound argumentative. I respect your views greatly, and you are right on the whole, but the protein story is definitely a little more nuanced than many might realise. As a TOFI who once had major problems with it, you can be sure that I've done exhausting research and self-experimentation. In short, it is entirely possible that some people - particular diabetics with little fat to spare - may experience raised glucose when protein is abundant and dietary fat is too low.

Now where's that bacon? :D

M

Member496333

Thank you Jim. I like that.

It’s vitally important to get sufficient protein, mind you. It’s just that too much can definitely be too much for some. The majority of energy ideally needs to be fat. Adipose, dietary or both, Otherwise there will be a glucose penalty to pay sooner or later. Usually the following day.

Actually, to be fair to @bulkbiker, he did qualify his statement with “usually” and “most” with regards to the demand driven side of GNG, so I probably jumped the gun a bit. I do have an itchy trigger finger whenever the subject of protein comes up :angelic:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Speedbird

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s vitally important to get sufficient protein, mind you. It’s just that too much can definitely be too much for some. The majority of energy ideally needs to be fat. Adipose, dietary or both, Otherwise there will be a glucose penalty to pay sooner or later. Usually the following day.

Actually, to be fair to @bulkbiker, he did qualify his statement with “usually” and “most” with regards to the demand driven side of GNG, so I probably jumped the gun a bit. I do have an itchy trigger finger whoever the subject of protein comes up :angelic:

X

That's a big kiss Jim in case you were wondering..
I also know it's your favourite bugbear hehe and that you have overcome it...so...

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fasting I guess ? That's lower than my last one.. your elevated numbers are therefore quite surprising.. definitely no sneaky carbs creeping in anywhere?
I really don’t think so Bulkbiker. As you can see from my original post, my eating regime for just a couple of days.
And I’ve carried on that way.
Fasted until 1pm yesterday then bacon and eggs. Coffee with cream. A bag of pork scratching ( I was still hungry) In the evening some cold meats, a boiled egg and a plate of cheese. Decaf with cream.
Pretty low in carbs. Would you agree?
This morning my bg was 11.1!
Out walking the dogs soon so I will see what that does when I get back. But any advice would be useful.
As Jim pointed out, I may need to up my fats.