EVENING not dawn phenomenon AKA am a T1 freak?

Jessitalia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi again knowledgeable people,

We've just relocated to Asia and I'm job hunting so I've a lot of time to play with my Diabetes. I've been taking a break from the Libre due to sweating it off so today I've used my morning to input my BGs into the One Drop/ Apple Health app. I sort of did it because I think my Basal and I:C ratios need tweaking and I'm without a doctor, plus I've been Diabetic for 29 years. Between my experiences and the internet I feel I can grasp stuff (hollow laughter) . I wanted to see if there were trends that required Basal tweaking before I played with ratios.

The trend I see is that in the mornings till after lunch my BG is fairly perfect (for me). Then about 2-3 hours after injecting and eating lunch my sugars rise and stay like that till I test for dinner. They then come down and stay stable over night.

The dietitian I saw before I left wanted me to have a higher I:C carb ratio in the morning, then lower the ratios during the day but my husband and I were like "NO!", already sensing the post breakfast hypos. I'm glad I trusted my instincts.

I try to eat quite low carb (a challenge here!) but find I hypo if I go carb free. That's why I was interested in tweaking my basal (Tresiba in the morning after morning test/ before breakfast). Someone online aid you should be able to go 24 hours without eating if your basal is correct?! But she's a pumper and I'm a lowly MDIer.

So with that, 2 questions:
Should I lower my basal a bit (if I'm going to sleep and waking up with great BG...)
As my bloods are stable 8am-4pm is this an issue with my lunch time carb ratio?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think the first step is a basal test rather than just reduce the basal blindly.

Jessitalia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Aw no!! Trying to avoid that! Maybe I'll wait till I can get some skintac and use my Libre again.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My initial reaction was that your lunch time ratio is out. however I'm with diakat on this - only a basal test will really help.

Even more so because of this comment:
but find I hypo if I go carb free.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I would agree with Diakat on this one. Get your basal correct first and then make adjustments to your bolus and or ratios

Reactions: Jessitalia