Question about Metformin

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.

I was prescribed Metformin 2x500 mg daily. I’m not taking it because I control my blood sugars with diet very well. However I am overweight. I need to lose 8kg. I’ve been told Metformin helps lose weight. Is that true? Are there any serious side effects?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Hello.

I was prescribed Metformin 2x500 mg daily. I’m not taking it because I control my blood sugars with diet very well. However I am overweight. I need to lose 8kg. I’ve been told Metformin helps lose weight. Is that true? Are there any serious side effects?

I found that Metformin curbed my appetite which helped me with my initial weight loss - which did not need to be a lot, so I cannot say whether or not it would help with long term weight loss goals. There is evidence that it helps to protect the heart and so it may be worth taking whilst you are on the weight loss path. The downside is that it often causes gastic upsets, although this tends to settle if the dose is increased slowly and the newer slow release versions also help to prevent this. I would suggest not being in a hurry to ditch metformin if you can tolerate it, as it may be helpful in terms of appetite control and heart health.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Metformin can give you a bit of an upset tummy, i however have not had this side effect. I take it just fine with no complaints.It is just what I was told by the doctor, I’m confused as to why you would not take it if you have been prescribed it. It is to protect your heart.Any form of exercise will help you lose weight and if your diet is well managed I see no reason why you would not lose the weight. Good luck with this

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m now hesitant to drugs as my diabetes was steroid induced. Prednisone being the culprit. So I am now very cautious.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
As Dudette1 said, it may beat your guts up, I can not tolerate it. Best of luck

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Metformin x 3 500mg/day. I feel it curbs my appetite, so along with a low carb diet, over the first 18 months taking it I lost around six stone, I then dropped down to 2 500mg/day for three months and my weight loss stalled, so I went back up to 3. I subsequently lost another 1/2 a stone, however my weight loss has now stalled again, although pretty close to my target weight now. I think it helped me initially but not any longer. I suffered gastric upset for around week to ten days when I first started it.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I’m now hesitant to drugs as my diabetes was steroid induced. Prednisone being the culprit. So I am now very cautious.
Mine was steroid induced also, I understand your fears totally. I won’t have the flu jab because I’ve never had it and fear I will end up getting ill, sounds silly I know but I don’t like change. However it is to protect your heart, you can try it and if it does not agree with you, you can always go back. I have been on it since October last year and I have lost 4 stone 2lbs I’m not saying it is metformin as I also walk around 4 miles a day.good luck with whatever you decide x

Reactions: Speedbird

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.2 this morning which i was very pleased with. I was doing a load of baking for a charity thing at work last night. I tested a few things including a bit of a biscuit, some marshmallow and a tiny bit of chocolate gnash. I didn't really have much at all and my bloods spiked to double figures for the first time since i h ave been diagnosed!

Not great issue, and what i made was quality approved as far as im concerned, but it does make me sad that even a tiny taste is enough to set me off nowerdays!

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
5.2 this morning which i was very pleased with. I was doing a load of baking for a charity thing at work last night. I tested a few things including a bit of a biscuit, some marshmallow and a tiny bit of chocolate gnash. I didn't really have much at all and my bloods spiked to double figures for the first time since i h ave been diagnosed!

Not great issue, and what i made was quality approved as far as im concerned, but it does make me sad that even a tiny taste is enough to set me off nowerdays!
It is so disappointing, we all try so hard and something so small can put us up so high. Don’t be disheartened if you crave a chocolate treat I find 85% dark chocolate is perfect in small doses. It’s an acquired taste but I love it now and stops me reaching for the chocolate buttons

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is so disappointing, we all try so hard and something so small can put us up so high. Don’t be disheartened if you crave a chocolate treat I find 85% dark chocolate is perfect in small doses. It’s an acquired taste but I love it now and stops me reaching for the chocolate buttons

Also sorry i meant to post this in the "BGL this monring" post! Didnt mean to Hijack the post!

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found Metformin helped with my appetite significantly. Either that or im motivated to loose weight.

I dont really see any down sides, i didn't get side effects like a tummy upset so its only a benefit for me

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Me too caused by prednisolone but it's not an allergic reaction it is physiological preds also drive weight gain, the only reason I am still taking metformin is because it helps me control my weight and I have been lucky in that I have had no severe reactions to it tummy wise.

I have the flu jab every year so far no untoward reactions.

M

Member496333

I had gastric distress when I first started Metformin, but it quickly passed. I took it for around a year and then had the same symptoms when I quit, which was a bit annoying :nailbiting:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.

It does suppress appitite, however, it doesn't melt fat away or anything. You just eat less. And it can have rather severe gastro-intestinal side effects. Some people do perfectly fine on it, others, like me... End up living in the loo. So if you do start taking it, be sure to have it with a meal, never on an empty stomach. That reduces the odds a little.

You say you're doing well, blood sugar-wise, on diet. If that diet is a low carb/high fat way of eating, your weight should go down as well, without the aid of metformin.

Good luck making your choice!
Jo