What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
05-11-19
Breakfast. Some leftover cabbage fried up with bacon and plenty of black pepper. Coffee with cream.
Coffee w cream. Couple of chocolate biscuits.
Lunch. There wasn't any. Just a cup of tea and a handful of walnuts.
Dinner. Feeling lazy after digging etc outside so frozen moussaka. Cauliflower and two types of frozen beans. MrSlim had a Crême bruleé and raved about it's creaminess, causing considerable envy, until I realised that the sugar topping was in a separate pack and could be left off. It was absolutely delicious. Two glasses of rosé.
Bedtime tea.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's food.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter and bresaola. About 150g of the homemade yohurt with about 20g of heated huckleberries/bilberries with erythritol.

Dinner: Homemade linguini in butter with a ricotta-walnut pesto and meatballs (remainder of the ground ribeye). About 30g of 85% chocolate. Three glasses of red wine.

@PenguinMum -- Hugs for the higher blood sugars. Have they come down yet?
@DJC3 -- Definitely seems as if you are having a fabulous time with your friends. Dinner sounds wonderful.
Welcome to the thread, @Mathewted.

Your pasta dish sounds wonderful Ziggy.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All,

Don't think I posted yesterday's food...

B: Hotel chocolat LC hot choc
L: smoked salmon pate. with a spoon
S: Lindt 70% with peanut butter blob on top
D: Beef stew followed by goatsmilk yog

Still too much choc! haha! But I am spreading it out more, and easing the portion sizes down - too avoid too many withdrawal symptoms :hilarious:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just put the mixture in a glass jar (about half a liter), immersed the jar in a pot filled with water and attached the sous vide stick on the side. Set the stick to 38 degrees and 12 hours.

How long does it take in the IP? Definitely seems as if the IP has tons of uses.

The IP takes from 8 hours. The from depends how thick or tart you enjoy your yoghurt. I usually do about 12 hours, mainly because that suits, to start if in the evening, and refrigerate it in the morning.

One aspect that I really like about the pot for milk is I can use it for pasteurised milk, and do the scalding technic you did, all in a couple of pushes of the button, without changing vessels - milk and started straight into the stainless steel inner pot, then "cook" it overnight.

Even simpler is using UHT milk, with starter, and bypass the scalding step, so straight onto the yoghurt fermentation. These days, I always just do the UHT version. I do 2 ltrs at a time, and it keeps beautifully, decanted into a clip-top container, or containers, just saving a little as a starter for next time. The starter can be any live yoghurt, or I've recently seen folks start it with Skyr, but have never tried that myself.

Sometimes I strain the finished yoghurt of a finished article that is very rick and thick, but most often it's very think anyway.

It also means I buy my next set of ingredients as soon as I make a batch, meaning I never have to defer making because it's leave us a bit short of milk for other things.

Yes, I do love my pots.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The IP takes from 8 hours. The from depends how thick or tart you enjoy your yoghurt. I usually do about 12 hours, mainly because that suits, to start if in the evening, and refrigerate it in the morning.

One aspect that I really like about the pot for milk is I can use it for pasteurised milk, and do the scalding technic you did, all in a couple of pushes of the button, without changing vessels - milk and started straight into the stainless steel inner pot, then "cook" it overnight.

Even simpler is using UHT milk, with starter, and bypass the scalding step, so straight onto the yoghurt fermentation. These days, I always just do the UHT version. I do 2 ltrs at a time, and it keeps beautifully, decanted into a clip-top container, or containers, just saving a little as a starter for next time. The starter can be any live yoghurt, or I've recently seen folks start it with Skyr, but have never tried that myself.

Sometimes I strain the finished yoghurt of a finished article that is very rick and thick, but most often it's very think anyway.

It also means I buy my next set of ingredients as soon as I make a batch, meaning I never have to defer making because it's leave us a bit short of milk for other things.

Yes, I do love my pots.

Hi @DCUKMod,

This sounds very easy to do, even easier than using the sous vide stick. Only argument in favor of the sous vide stick were price and size.

Two liters, that's a lot of yoghurt. Do you have all this by yourself?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DCUKMod,

This sounds very easy to do, even easier than using the sous vide stick. Only argument in favor of the sous vide stick were price and size.

Two liters, that's a lot of yoghurt. Do you have all this by yourself?

I have it every morning at breakfast time. You can do much smaller amounts, but I just find this lasts about 7-10 days, and is still very fresh when I finish it.

My second IP, bought in the summer, on Prime Day was £70, give or take a few pence. I think that was the same as I paid for our original almost 3 years ago.

The 3ltr pot is about £70, on non-Prime/Black Friday days. They're just, in my view, incredibly versatile.

I must admit I really have enjoyed my infused gins, using the SV. Other things too, but the infused spirits are fun, beacuse there isn't all that need to be patient for weeks or months, for flavours to develop.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have it every morning at breakfast time. You can do much smaller amounts, but I just find this lasts about 7-10 days, and is still very fresh when I finish it.

My second IP, bought in the summer, on Prime Day was £70, give or take a few pence. I think that was the same as I paid for our original almost 3 years ago.

The 3ltr pot is about £70, on non-Prime/Black Friday days. They're just, in my view, incredibly versatile.

I must admit I really have enjoyed my infused gins, using the SV. Other things too, but the infused spirits are fun, beacuse there isn't all that need to be patient for weeks or months, for flavours to develop.

Thanks for all the info, @DCUKMod. The sous vide stick was only about £20, eventually will also try to do ox cheeks, although 95 degrees centigrade might not be hot enough. Will see how it goes.

As the in-house yoghurt expert, you might be able to help me with a question. The consistency of the yoghurt I made was fine, however it would have been nice if it had been a bit more tart (the yoghurt starter was much nicer tbh.) Do you have any tips?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the info, @DCUKMod. The sous vide stick was only about £20, eventually will also try to do ox cheeks, although 95 degrees centigrade might not be hot enough. Will see how it goes.

As the in-house yoghurt expert, you might be able to help me with a question. The consistency of the yoghurt I made was fine, however it would have been nice if it had been a bit more tart (the yoghurt starter was much nicer tbh.) Do you have any tips?

For a more tart yoghurt, "cook" it a bit longer. As I mentioned, I do mine overnight, then transfer the inner pot in this case - in your case it would be the jar - to the fridge, where it cools and thickens.

\You might find this site useful for indicative times: https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/sous-vide-times-temperatures/lamb , or https://www.sousvidetools.com/toolshed/ . For on the go stuff, the Anova App is very good. When is asks to connect by Bluetooth, it means to your wand, but declining that still allows the app to be used, but not for setting your circulator or alarming you to your phone when time is up.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tea until about 1.45 and then -
Lunch steamed broccolli with a cream cheese dressing. I am quite full at the moment but I don't imagine I'll be able to go without more food today. I'll plan to have scrambled eggs later on. Wonder how the cream cheese dressing would go on the eggs - it was delicious and I have half left over.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For a more tart yoghurt, "cook" it a bit longer. As I mentioned, I do mine overnight, then transfer the inner pot in this case - in your case it would be the jar - to the fridge, where it cools and thickens.

\You might find this site useful for indicative times: https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/sous-vide-times-temperatures/lamb , or https://www.sousvidetools.com/toolshed/ . For on the go stuff, the Anova App is very good. When is asks to connect by Bluetooth, it means to your wand, but declining that still allows the app to be used, but not for setting your circulator or alarming you to your phone when time is up.

Thanks for your advice, @DCUK. Will try leaving it a bit longer next time.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
I wasnt at all happy with my fbg this morning though I did have tummy ache from 4 to 6 am and have felt sluggish all day. To slow down rising fbg I had a slice of LivLife toast with tea for breakfast. Lunchtime had some chicken soup. Tonight the menu is baked salmon fillet, rice for OH and possibly cauli rice for me but on the other hand I might just have two boiled eggs. Although BG to normal levels right now I am not looking forward to food but that could well change lol. We’ll see.
I did a lot of my Christmas gift shopping at Hotel Chocolat yesterday. Personally I am not a fan of their dark choc but love their cacao gin (which @DJC3 introduced me to) but their options for non compromised chocolate eaters are fab and I managed to spend £80 but I think (hope) there will be a lot of happy recipients. Was very happy to find the Advent Calender for Two for No 2 son and his partner.
Am trying to buy consumables (booze, edibles and candles) as gifts as I feel everyone has enough “stuff”. Sorry if I derailed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
I wasnt at all happy with my fbg this morning though I did have tummy ache from 4 to 6 am and have felt sluggish all day. To slow down rising fbg I had a slice of LivLife toast with tea for breakfast. Lunchtime had some chicken soup. Tonight the menu is baked salmon fillet, rice for OH and possibly cauli rice for me but on the other hand I might just have two boiled eggs. Although BG to normal levels right now I am not looking forward to food but that could well change lol. We’ll see.
I did a lot of my Christmas gift shopping at Hotel Chocolat yesterday. Personally I am not a fan of their dark choc but love their cacao gin (which @DJC3 introduced me to) but their options for non compromised chocolate eaters are fab and I managed to spend £80 but I think (hope) there will be a lot of happy recipients. Was very happy to find the Advent Calender for Two for No 2 son and his partner.
Am trying to buy consumables (booze, edibles and candles) as gifts as I feel everyone has enough “stuff”. Sorry if I derailed.

I’ve got the cocoa gin on my Christmas list too PM. I Hope someone takes the hint.
Hope you feel ok soon and bg stays normal - I have to agree about no need for more stuff. I’m going to get subscriptions and ‘experiences’ for my nearest and dearest this year

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Food for today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and gouda. A bowl of homemade vegetable-beef soup.

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with a balsamic vinegar-olive oil-lime dressing and feta. Half a fried duck breast with Nature's Hollow Honey substitute, spiced red cabbage and cauli rice with onion and eggplant. Two glasses of red wine. 20g of 85% chocolate.

Also prepared the sauce for the ox cheeks (onion, tomato sauce, red wine, beef broth, a bit of balsamic vinegar, ancho chili, sambal oelek, erythritol, cinnamon, allspice, anise and cloves). Will fry the ox cheeks as soon as they are thawed, and then use the sous vide stick to cook them at low temperature over night.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hotel breakfast before setting off home: scrambled eggs, mushrooms and 1 rasher bacon. CWC
No lunch as I was travelling, CWC at airport Costa
Dinner at home, girls had prepared DD pesto chicken which was an unexpected treat.
@ziggy_w your oxtail is going to be delicious. I’m looking forward to hearing how it turns out. How long will you need to cook it sous vide?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Breakfast half a toasted Chaffle with a fried egg
Early afternoon a few walnuts and cheese nibbles as out and about
Dinner beef casserole with cauliflower cheese followed by lc lemon mousse.
As finished this course of antibiotics had glass of red wine with dinner.
Hoping to make time next day or so to do some cooking preps including another batch of chaffles (they freeze really well and toast from frozen) to freeze and ready to take up to mums for while we are there. @Goonergal s lemon cupcakes are on the cooking list too.
Thank you all for your sympathies and hugs for me and my mum I’m sure we’ll have lots of chat about the past when get together with the family.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B=exercise bike, water then tea; L= ox cheek and mushroom casserole + cauilflower cheese; Eve= bits of cheese then .5 CCB, 10 cal jelly and cream + mug of almond milk cocoa ( re-run of last night as bg was 3.9 @2 hrs and 4.1 @ 4). Couple of unforced errors in there (bit hungry/tired your honour) but lunch was pleasant - not even salad!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hotel breakfast before setting off home: scrambled eggs, mushrooms and 1 rasher bacon. CWC
No lunch as I was travelling, CWC at airport Costa
Dinner at home, girls had prepared DD pesto chicken which was an unexpected treat.
@ziggy_w your ox cheek is going to be delicious. I’m looking forward to hearing how it turns out. How long will you need to cook it sous vide?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lord, I'm not doing well at catching up. I'd reckoned on a bit more time with USA Nana here but it was not working out that way. Still st least my car was getting a work out and so far so good it hasn't broken down again (touch wood).
Bed 6.3 FBG 6.4 31 October. Normal sort of day. Aqua fit, school run and feed boys but needed to get them back a little earlier for their trick or treating. The little one informed me he was excited because Daddy had agreed to take him up the hill. Why I asked? Because that's where the big houses are which means they've got money and better sweeties. That boy will go far.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing
D. Chicken balmoral - a chicken breast battered out, a little haggis inside, wrapped in streaky bacon and served with a creamy mushroom sauce. Sauted sprouts on the side.
Raspberries and cream later.

Friday 1 November bed 6.1 FBG 6.2.
Still trying to get on top of things again. Upstairs is sorted but downstairs is still a bit upside down. New TV arrives Monday and we're sorting out the wires etc. Usual half day at school. Hubby had made scotch broth for the boys dinner yesterday and they announced they wanted it again for lunch.

B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing - no time with school pick up's, feeding boys etc.
D. After getting boys home (as USA Nana going home tomorrow). I got us fiery steaks from a good butcher. They were not fiery and they were tough. Most ended up in the bin. Did have a fried egg with it and I cremated the veggie chips again!

Gave up and did an online shop for tomorrow as Hubby was off to Glasgow for the football and I had deliveries coming.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fry up of bacon, egg, mushroom and two cherry tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coconut chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: Gammon steak with peppercorn sauce and roasted Mediterranean veg followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
0A9DB9F7-A805-43BB-9B77-30F63F7C658E.jpeg