Type 1'stars R Us

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Gary61 I never have any luck with curry night.

I will have some pakoras and a small piece of nan bread, no rice, as well as my fav chicken balti. I also have a medtronic pump and dose for around 70g of carbs. take about 60 % up front and the remainder over 4 hours. I will go to bed at a decent Bg , say 6.5 but during night this will rise and I usually end up BG 14+ so need correction dose.

Could I be underestimating carbs

Any other suggestions
To be honest, eating things like this can be very hit or miss and there is a huge amount of trial and error to get it reasonably controlled. I'm not always as good as the control I quoted by the way lol, but just thought that some people would like to see that it can be achievable to have a chance of eating what a lot of diabetics class as forbidden. I suppose it just all depends on how someone wants to live their lives as a Type 1 diabetic. I always find that the biggest challenge is trying to understand the G.I. content of a meal which is why I always try to eat a little earlier in the evening to allow me to keep on top of the carbs kicking in hours later. This has been helped enormously by using a cgm and pump.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lately I've been experimenting a lot to reduce hypos, I bought a box of protein bars ranging from 16-23g of carbs and 20g of protein per bar to take to work so I have something to chew on in between dinner service. I found that I don't need to inject fiasp for it and I am stable from eating it until the next morning. when I first got them, I injected for it but I went low from eating them so I thought I'll try skipping the jab and see how it goes.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Afternoon everyone, well where is everyone? We seem very depleted don't we?
Rain stopped play from starting so made mud pies in the form of chutney and rat

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just downloaded my Libre, I understand most of the data but not all.

Anyhoo looking at estimated Hbaic it advises 45, which if correct, ( it wont be) will be my lowest ever figure. Also for the 2 week period, in target 4.0---8.5 for 83% of time

18 months ago my Hbaic was 72, so a combination of pump and Libre does help

upload_2019-11-5_17-16-49.png

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 . That’s impressive. It makes you wonder how we’ve managed to survive so long without all this technology we have to help us nowadays.:)

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 . That’s impressive. It makes you wonder how we’ve managed to survive so long without all this technology we have to help us nowadays.:)

Hi @therower have to agree, being doing this for nearly 40 years now. I do wonder how I made it though the 80's and 90's with peeing into a tube.. Now I have a panic attack if I leave home without my blood testing meter

Figures are OK but compared to many on her they still seem fairly high. I know I should not try and compare, we are all different, but cant help myself.

Like most folks I have good days and bad days, just hoping to try and limit the bad days as much as I can.

I had cut right down on carb intake, limiting bread, rice, pasta and potatoes but I can see myself starting to eat these again, just need to watch what i eat

The pump and Libre have helped enormously but to be fair over past 18 months I have also put in a lot of effort, trying to make up for the previous 35+ years of not being that great

Reactions: Marie 2 and Diakat

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 .
I always think it’s far easier to post “ those “ good numbers and “ overlook “ the bad numbers.
My numbers aren’t always great but I’m happy with where they are.
We’re all individuals and we’re all type 1. Most importantly we’re all survivors.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Young Vampire got the riot act read after I'd been updated on the various diabetes-related shenanigans which had taken place in my absence. A relatively quiet and penitent half an hour followed... then all went back to normal!

I'm still adjusting to some of my new timings - I carefully did my blood sugars on waking, wrote up the numbers, calculated the breakfast dose plus foot on the floor dose... then forgot completely to administer the insulin. Until I looked at my Echo pen on the way to work two hours later, realised that the last Novorapid dose showing was last night's pre-bed correction! A test confirmed it. Ultra New Colleague was treated to the full Japes' insulin routine rather than just the morning basal which is now administered around arrive at work time. Oops....

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dentist update—Quick, painless solution. Painful bill numbers back behaving.

Reactions: porl69

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 you are doing alright :), not a bad graph - not perfect but who's perfect anyway?, life would be boring if we were all perfect.

Talking of perfect :hilarious:, 6.9 before bed last night.........10.7 this morning :sour:

Had hot dogs and beer around a bonfire and a few fireworks last night with good friends - :happy:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Morning all
@becca59 glad the dentist was pain free - until you had to pay!
@smc4761 mighty fine graph. Would class that as a winner :) (Give me a PM!)

Set change last night before going up onto the mountain to have a free view of the fireworks. 2 organised displays we could see were very good BUT the council estate fireworks won by a country mile....

Reactions: Marie 2 and SueJB

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@porl69 watched our local park fireworks from the comfort of our lounge. Amazing view across the fields. We used to watch the main Leeds display at a bigger park from our previous house, but from upstairs. We went for many years when our son was young. New Year’s Eve is just incredible. We see right across Leeds and Bradford,standing on the doorstep to hear the noise as well. It was worth the move here just for that.

Reactions: Marie 2

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Evening all,
I heard a couple of bangs and whizzes last night but something certainly frightened the BG this afternoon.
50 bulbs planted before the rains came but a very unsightly BG number at lunch. Am I brave enough to check not or shall I wait til supper time?

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hid from the fireworks with my two pups. I hope everyone has a great day. I'm having to increase my background insulin now I'm back at work. It must be work stress. It's amazing how little background insulin I needed while travelling. I didn't feel like I had diabetes. Well almost.

Reactions: karen8967

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't feel like I had diabetes.

ummmm......whats that like? :playful:

Because I finish work early on a wednesday I had great plans to rake the leaves and clean the chickens out before it got dark/take cat to the vets yesterday - I managed a quick cup of tea and then boom it was dark.....

Edit to add: oh and I was asking what its like to feel like you don't have diabetes, and I'm sat here thinking why do a feel all 'thick' and high (BG) - I complete forgot my diabetes routine this morning, IE I didn't test and inject for breakfast - why? its not as if I've only just started nor my morning routine was interrupted either, just plain forgot! It's not a nice feeling.

Last edited:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning all
Hope everyone is ok today
@slip oopsie. Hope you get your "normality" back soon ;)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@porl69 had a laugh at your comment, thankfully you put normality in quotes - feeling much better now and down to a more respectful 13.1 with 9u approx. still on board, I have a managers meeting at lunchtime so that could be fun.......hopefully I'd have pulled out of the steep dive and be levelling out nicely then..........:shifty:

(Lunch time managers meeting is not code for a pub lunch - unfortunately!)