Any ideas for a non alcoholic replacement for wine/beer etc?

mr_cat

Been wondering about this as I want to cut right back on the booze.
I love the flavours of robust reds and fine ales. [the ales are a carby rare treat]
I enjoy sipping interesting flavours but nothing is like a fine red for texture etc.
Most soft drinks I have ever tried tend to be vile sweet simplistic things.
Does not need to be fruit, interesting and challenging bitter sour you name it.
maybe a blend of of black cardamon creosote and vanilla pipe tobacco extract would do ito_O

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @mr_cat,

Apart from red wine (which I love), I usually just have sparkling water or espresso with cream. If I really want something different, I make my own bitter lemon concentrate to mix with sparkling water.

For the recipe you need cinchona bark, lemon peel, lemon juice and erythritol.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoy sipping interesting flavours but nothing is like a fine red for texture etc.
Hi Mr cat, there are studies that show a glass of red wine a day is even better for your liver than a glass of water. The key for some people in controlling there diabetes is keeping there liver healthy.

You don't have to give up completely if you don't want to.;)
:bag:

Reactions: ziggy_w

mr_cat

Hi Ziggy
The lemon sounds nice, would try without sweetener first , like a bit of a wince, I always eat the lemon garnish..
Hi No Spoon
Yes I quite agree a single GLASS a day but i am more prone to a single BOTTLE so would like to find an alternative
that full fills my sipping habit without the excess ethanol and ££.
:)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ziggy
The lemon sounds nice, would try without sweetener first , like a bit of a wince, I always eat the lemon garnish..
Hi No Spoon
Yes I quite agree a single GLASS a day but i am more prone to a single BOTTLE so would like to find an alternative
that full fills my sipping habit without the excess ethanol and ££.
:)

I wished I could drink it without sweetener, but too bitter for me:arghh:. Good luck, hope it works for you.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Been wondering about this as I want to cut right back on the booze.
I love the flavours of robust reds and fine ales. [the ales are a carby rare treat]
Most soft drinks I have ever tried tend to be vile sweet simplistic things.
Does not need to be fruit, interesting and challenging bitter sour you name it.
maybe a blend of of black cardamon creosote and vanilla pipe tobacco extract would do ito_O
I luv wine, any colour so I "fool" myself and make up a bottle of fruit flavoured herbal tea... no tea. Favourite is raspberry which I add fresh lemon juice to. I pour into into a wine bottle and chill it. Great for sipping hot or cold

mr_cat

Ziggy you could harden up with limes after that lemons are like satsumas;)
Sue the tea ideas seems interesting.
did wonder ribena type thing with balsamic vinegar:wideyed:
somewhere there's an answer..