Daily blood sugars

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bit of background: T2, diagnosed 5 years ago with Hb of 83, managed to reduce in 2017 to 51 with low carbing, hit self destruct button and in early Sep Hb came back at 84! Yikes...

Anyway.

I spent September resetting my eating habits and focusing on: no binging, less sugar and eating three meals a day.

This was followed by trying to eat fewer carbs. Result: a weight loss of 8 pounds.

Currently I’m tracking my carbs and eating no more than 50 grams a day (using MFP). Today marks day 11. I’ve lost two more lbs.

I’ve also decided to start testing again and bought the starter Codefree kit. I’ve only managed some random tests so far (waiting for more strips and lancets) and they’re coming back as 10 average...

My question is: how long until I see some more decent blood sugars? I know everyone’s different but I was really hoping to see more single figures with the low carbing.

Or maybe I’m just being impatient; after all, who knows how high my bloods were before I started low carbing...

Thanks in advance for your help!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of background: T2, diagnosed 5 years ago with Hb of 83, managed to reduce in 2017 to 51 with low carbing, hit self destruct button and in early Sep Hb came back at 84! Yikes...

Anyway.

I spent September resetting my eating habits and focusing on: no binging, less sugar and eating three meals a day.

This was followed by trying to eat fewer carbs. Result: a weight loss of 8 pounds.

Currently I’m tracking my carbs and eating no more than 50 grams a day (using MFP). Today marks day 11. I’ve lost two more lbs.

I’ve also decided to start testing again and bought the starter Codefree kit. I’ve only managed some random tests so far (waiting for more strips and lancets) and they’re coming back as 10 average...

My question is: how long until I see some more decent blood sugars? I know everyone’s different but I was really hoping to see more single figures with the low carbing.

Or maybe I’m just being impatient; after all, who knows how high my bloods were before I started low carbing...

Thanks in advance for your help!
Can you list what you eat in a typical day? Sometimes there's something in there that trips you up and contains more carbs than expected. Also, are you sleeping alright, no cold or flu or anything, mental or physical stress can up your numbers, as could a flu jab or medication... (Steroids and statins can up BG significantly and even cause T2). No telling how long it'll be until your bloodsugars go down. And with your tests being random, they don't tell you (nor us) much. Did you test in the morning? Then it could be your liver is dumping a lot of additional glucose because it thinks those numbers are normal, on top of what it usually would with dawn phenomenon. That'll pass eventually, but will take a while. You might want to switch to testing before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, that way you can tell how your body responds to your meals, and it'll give a much more useful set of numbers than "random" testing. Hopefully you'll see single digits soon!
Good luck!
Jo

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Jo
Thank you for your reply.

I will commit to more regular testing once my extra lancets and strips come through The tests so far were not morning tests as I’m aware of the DP.

A typical day for me:

Chaffles made from 1oz cheddar, two eggs and a tbsp of ground almonds, bit of sweetener. Coffee and cream

Aldi nut bar - appr 5 grams carbs

Some cold cuts (salami), olives and a few mini cucumbers, maybe another ounce of cheese.

Bunless burger with mayo, tbsp of onion, broccoli cheese

Small bar of 85% choc with a tbsp of peanut butter.

A few coffees with semi skimmed milk at work.

So I sleep well; it can be stressful at work (I teach but am mindful of self care) but on the whole I love it. And I did have the flu jab about ten days ago.

I am hoping for those single digits too!!

Mona

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo
Thank you for your reply.

I will commit to more regular testing once my extra lancets and strips come through The tests so far were not morning tests as I’m aware of the DP.

A typical day for me:

Chaffles made from 1oz cheddar, two eggs and a tbsp of ground almonds, bit of sweetener. Coffee and cream

Aldi nut bar - appr 5 grams carbs

Some cold cuts (salami), olives and a few mini cucumbers, maybe another ounce of cheese.

Bunless burger with mayo, tbsp of onion, broccoli cheese

Small bar of 85% choc with a tbsp of peanut butter.

A few coffees with semi skimmed milk at work.

So I sleep well; it can be stressful at work (I teach but am mindful of self care) but on the whole I love it. And I did have the flu jab about ten days ago.

I am hoping for those single digits too!!

Mona
Diet looks good, but that flu jab can throw you off for a while. Some people don't notice it at all, for others their sugars are out of whack for up to a few weeks. (But not as bad, generally, as they would've been with an actual flu). Dunno what's in the peanut butter, as some contain sugar, some don't, depends on the brand. But I seriously doubt a tablespoon of that'd take you up to double digits. All in all, give yourself some time. I think it'll come down.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cheers Jo.
Could be the jab!
My lancets and strips came today! I tested before my tea and it was 7.3. Whoop. Haha. I’ll have another go in an hour, which will mark the two hour point.

Onwards and downwards.

Thanks from a fellow Dutchie

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers Jo.
Could be the jab!
My lancets and strips came today! I tested before my tea and it was 7.3. Whoop. Haha. I’ll have another go in an hour, which will mark the two hour point.

Onwards and downwards.

Thanks from a fellow Dutchie
Excellent...! Congrats on seeing a proper 7 today! :) Hieperdepiep hoera! :)

Reactions: marathonmona

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will commit to more regular testing once my extra lancets and strips come through
This is controversial, but maybe 50% of us here re-use our lancets. It makes testing a lot quicker and easier (and cheaper), and in a small way I suppose helps the environment. The easier testing is, the more likely we are to do it regularly. Personally I manage on one lancet for literally months! I have never heard of anyone having a bad result from doing this. Like you, and I imagine many others, I ordered a bag of lancets at the beginning, and I think at my present rate of use I'll never have to buy any more.

Gorgeous avatar!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A typical day for me:
I'm wondering if you are eating enough calories, especially if you are training as well as working? I see that you are successfully losing weight - congratulations! - but better not to starve yourself!

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is controversial, but maybe 50% of us here re-use our lancets. It makes testing a lot quicker and easier (and cheaper), and in a small way I suppose helps the environment. The easier testing is, the more likely we are to do it regularly. Personally I manage on one lancet for literally months! I have never heard of anyone having a bad result from doing this. Like you, and I imagine many others, I ordered a bag of lancets at the beginning, and I think at my present rate of use I'll never have to buy any more.

Gorgeous avatar!

Thanks! - my boy Max

Oh really? Do you just leave it in and use it again or do you clean it?

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm wondering if you are eating enough calories, especially if you are training as well as working? I see that you are successfully losing weight - congratulations! - but better not to starve yourself!

Well, I’m generally coming in at about 1800 cals a day. I don’t feel deprived and that’s why I think I may just be able to sustain it.

The ‘marathon’ in my name was chosen the day after I walked my second Moonwalk marathon in London. Haha. I walked it mega slowly all whilst being very very overweight so I was super proud. Hence!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The ‘marathon’ in my name was chosen the day after I walked my second Moonwalk marathon in London. Haha. I walked it mega slowly all whilst being very very overweight so I was super proud.
Justly so! Walking slowly can often lower bg whereas more vigorous exercise can raise it. So that was a good habit to get into.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Justly so! Walking slowly can often lower bg whereas more vigorous exercise can raise it. So that was a good habit to get into.

True!
Still walk the dog for an hour and a half daily now. There’s no way I could walk quickly; he stops ‘n sniffs all the time lol