Type 2 blood sugar in go up trend without diet change

mileysmilely

Same diet and exercise. No lack of sleep. Not on any medication.The blood sugar used to read 5.6-6.3 with fasting, after meal usual read 5.8-6.8.

But these days- a week more , it goes up to 6.5-6.8 with fasting and 7.5 after meal.

I even eat less food. What’s the problem. Related to season changing or pancreas function is getting worse or liver pump more glucose.

Please advice. Thanks veryyyyyy muchhhhh

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hmm, several possibilities here
1) it's only a week, not really long enough to determine a long term trend?
2) Any illness or stress in your life will pump up glucose levels. (Steroids are notorious for this).
3) How confident are you that you're T2 rather than LADA/slow onset T1. Many many T1s/LADA are initially misdiagnosed as T2 and then rediagnosed as T1 after a couple of years. (Do you know if you ever had a c-peptide test? This would tell you how much insulin you produce- generally T2s start out high because of insulin resistance and T1/LADA start out low because their insulin producing cells are being destroyed.
4) sure your blood tsting strips are not out of date?

Having said all that, I'd go back to point 1 - 1 week isn't really long enough to be concerned.

Good luck

Reactions: mileysmilely

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Would add that as you are female and young menstruation and hormones can have an effect on levels.

Reactions: mileysmilely

CharlieV

Mine does the same, usually on a very rough cycle of one week low, (4.5-5.5) then three weeks higher (5.8-8.0) - Nothing to do with a monthly, as I'm a bloke! Never any diet or exercise changes either. On keto for last 7 years and loads of exercise. 2 endocrinologists I've seen just say 'It happens' but apart from you, miley, I know of no-one who has similar fluctuations. As Ellie advised, give it a few weeks at least to get a truer picture.

XRay Style

Hi everyone, I'm new here but have been lurking for a while now and again. I too have a similar problem. i was diagnosed in January with T2 A1C was 7.9. In three months down to 5.1, then 3 more months 4.9 and again 4.9. I lost 50Lbs and seem to have good control. I take Jardiance 10mg and Atorvastatin 10mg and a Lisonpril/HCTZ combo that I started three weeks ago. My fasting numbers were usually in the 4.5-5.3 range and post meal less than 6.7. Over the past two weeks I am having fasting numbers of 6.3 and post meal of anything up to 9.2. My diet has not changed, I follow LCHF.

Even when I have a lower bedtime reading, the following morning the number is higher. The only thing that has changed is the new Lisinopril/HCTZ combo I started. Also last week, I strained my foot and have taken one Ibuprofen PM at night. The foot injury has curtailed my usual exercise.(walk about a mile each morning).

Any ideas? Thanks.

Forgot to mention - before the combo Lisinopril I was on plain Lisinopril 20mg.

Last edited:

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine does the same, usually on a very rough cycle of one week low, (4.5-5.5) then three weeks higher (5.8-8.0) - Nothing to do with a monthly, as I'm a bloke! Never any diet or exercise changes either. On keto for last 7 years and loads of exercise. 2 endocrinologists I've seen just say 'It happens' but apart from you, miley, I know of no-one who has similar fluctuations. As Ellie advised, give it a few weeks at least to get a truer picture.

I’m the same. It’s very frustrating but I’ve learned the pattern now and trying to relax about it a bit more.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I'm new here but have been lurking for a while now and again. I too have a similar problem. i was diagnosed in January with T2 A1C was 7.9. In three months down to 5.1, then 3 more months 4.9 and again 4.9. I lost 50Lbs and seem to have good control. I take Jardiance 10mg and Atorvastatin 10mg and a Lisonpril/HCTZ combo that I started three weeks ago. My fasting numbers were usually in the 4.5-5.3 range and post meal less than 6.7. Over the past two weeks I am having fasting numbers of 6.3 and post meal of anything up to 9.2. My diet has not changed, I follow LCHF.

Even when I have a lower bedtime reading, the following morning the number is higher. The only thing that has changed is the new Lisinopril/HCTZ combo I started. Also last week, I strained my foot and have taken one Ibuprofen PM at night. The foot injury has curtailed my usual exercise.(walk about a mile each morning).

Any ideas? Thanks.

Forgot to mention - before the combo Lisinopril I was on plain Lisinopril 20mg.

Exercise has a significant effect on insulin resistance immediately after that exercise and for some hours later. If you have ceased regular exercise then that may lead to a consistent rise across the day.

Also, pain itself, pain medication and other medication can all have effects on blood glucose levels. Also sleep deprivation, infections, stress and hormonal changes.

I would have a look at the various contraindications listed on your medication's information leaflet, and online (the online lists are often more comprehensive). Also use an online medication checker to see if there are any known contraindications from interactions between your meds - all your meds, even the pain killers and anything else you may be taking, even if they are completely unrelated. Sometimes there are interactions between meds and ordinary foods such as grapefruit (statins).

XRay Style

Exercise has a significant effect on insulin resistance immediately after that exercise and for some hours later. If you have ceased regular exercise then that may lead to a consistent rise across the day.

Also, pain itself, pain medication and other medication can all have effects on blood glucose levels. Also sleep deprivation, infections, stress and hormonal changes.

I would have a look at the various contraindications listed on your medication's information leaflet, and online (the online lists are often more comprehensive). Also use an online medication checker to see if there are any known contraindications from interactions between your meds - all your meds, even the pain killers and anything else you may be taking, even if they are completely unrelated. Sometimes there are interactions between meds and ordinary foods such as grapefruit (statins).

Hi Brunneria,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I suspect that the HCTZ has a part to play from what I have read and I guess the exercise being on hold for a while is certainly not helping. Some suggest that this comes down to a compromise between the benefits of one effcet versus the cons of another. I have noted that so far the addition of the HCTZ has had no significant effect on my BP after three weeks of use. If it gets worse or there are no improvemenst I will ask to come off it at my next appointment.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You might be triggering an alarm by eating less - getting a response to cope with having to migrate or spend long hours searching for food.
Try eating a little more protein and fat to reassure your body that all is well in your world, that the larder is full and food is available.

XRay Style

How long have you been taking the statins?.. they have been known to raise blood sugars and even accelerate development of T2 itself.
I have been on the statins for 6 months and they appear to be helping, although I was have success with cholesterol lowering by diet before I started them.

XRay Style

You might be triggering an alarm by eating less - getting a response to cope with having to migrate or spend long hours searching for food.
Try eating a little more protein and fat to reassure your body that all is well in your world, that the larder is full and food is available.
Thank you Resurgam. I do eat a lot of protein in my diet - chicken. egs, fish, some cheese, lean steak and I probably eat less than 50g carbs per day, grains like quinoa, small amount of brown rice, oats, occasionally pitta bread. No desserts or sweets! What puzzzles me is that something has happened without changing my diet. Don't eat a whole lot of fat and am trying to lose more weight. Need to shed another 30Lbs but almost all belly fat has gone.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The low fat and the grains are probably triggering glucogensis from the plentiful proteins - I suggest swapping grain for vegetables - far more nourishment in the form of vitamins and minerals, have some frozen berries in the freezer and eat a small portion with cream a couple of times a week.
The loss of the belly fat could well have been the trigger for this, we need to eat fats to be in ketosis, we do so well on it, and grains are what are used to fatten up animals for slaughter, after all.
I know that bread - the equivalent of my usual amount of carbs, will raise my blood glucose levels three points higher than carbs from veges and fruit, all my testing has shown that same effect. Grain is a comparative recent introduction to the Human diet, and many grains have been genetically selected or altered to give higher yields from poorer soils - with no consideration to their effects on the consumer.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on the statins for 6 months and they appear to be helping, although I was have success with cholesterol lowering by diet before I started them.
That's assuming that "lowering" cholesterol is a good thing per se... depending on your age an sex it may not be so great as you imagine.

XRay Style

The low fat and the grains are probably triggering glucogensis from the plentiful proteins - I suggest swapping grain for vegetables - far more nourishment in the form of vitamins and minerals, have some frozen berries in the freezer and eat a small portion with cream a couple of times a week.
The loss of the belly fat could well have been the trigger for this, we need to eat fats to be in ketosis, we do so well on it, and grains are what are used to fatten up animals for slaughter, after all.
I know that bread - the equivalent of my usual amount of carbs, will raise my blood glucose levels three points higher than carbs from veges and fruit, all my testing has shown that same effect. Grain is a comparative recent introduction to the Human diet, and many grains have been genetically selected or altered to give higher yields from poorer soils - with no consideration to their effects on the consumer.

I am going to try incorpoarting a little more fat as you suggest, the berries and cream is a good way to start. Thank you!

XRay Style

That's assuming that "lowering" cholesterol is a good thing per se... depending on your age an sex it may not be so great as you imagine.
Thanks for the input Bulkbiker. At the moment I am still trying to figure out all the pieces of the big picture puzzle. My goal is to get free of as many meds as I can. I'm male and 60 yrs old. Most of my life I have been healthy and was seriously overweight for pehaps just two years.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the input Bulkbiker. At the moment I am still trying to figure out all the pieces of the big picture puzzle. My goal is to get free of as many meds as I can. I'm male and 60 yrs old. Most of my life I have been healthy and was seriously overweight for pehaps just two years.

Maybe once you have the T2 under control you might find the thread below interesting although it may take a while to get through it all..
just remember that statins have been known to raise blood sugar levels and even lead to T2..as well as other side effects.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

Last edited:
Reactions: XRay Style