Tricks To Help With Late Night Hunger Pangs!

LondonCabby17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Life is too short for dislikes.
I am looking for a bit of advice/help. I am struggling with snacking when I get home from work. I work very unsociable hours. I do bring my dinner to work with me and usually stop between 8pm-10pm to eat my packed lunch. I will often get home from work anytime after 1am and with sometimes have a couple of slices of Bergen bread toasted or a couple of chicken thighs. Is there and tricks that people that could help me stop this? I know WILL POWER should be enough but just wondered if anyone had any other ideas?

Thank you

Reactions: Suz2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can it be you need the food?
What is the reason you don't want to eat when you're hungry?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am looking for a bit of advice/help. I am struggling with snacking when I get home from work. I work very unsociable hours. I do bring my dinner to work with me and usually stop between 8pm-10pm to eat my packed lunch. I will often get home from work anytime after 1am and with sometimes have a couple of slices of Bergen bread toasted or a couple of chicken thighs. Is there and tricks that people that could help me stop this? I know WILL POWER should be enough but just wondered if anyone had any other ideas?

Thank you
There's probably a reason you're hungry. You're not craving or peckish, you don't have the munchies, no, you call it hunger pangs. That's little to do with willpower and more with your body letting you know it wants/needs something. If you want to go low or no carb go for the chicken thighs, cheese, eggs or pork scratchings... And you might want to go over your usual meals and see whether those are filling enough as-is, or whether you can add something to keep those pangs at bay...

LondonCabby17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can it be you need the food?
What is the reason you don't want to eat when you're hungry?

I really don't know. I usually stop to eat my dinner. It just seems I am wanting something when I get home? Probably just need to go straight to bed when I get home and avoid the kitchen.

LondonCabby17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There's probably a reason you're hungry. You're not craving or peckish, you don't have the munchies, no, you call it hunger pangs. That's little to do with willpower and more with your body letting you know it wants/needs something. If you want to go low or no carb go for the chicken thighs, cheese, eggs or pork scratchings... And you might want to go over your usual meals and see whether those are filling enough as-is, or whether you can add something to keep those pangs at bay...

Thank you Jo.

Suz2

Hey, be reasonable. Your body hasn't had any nourishment for five hours. A snack would be appropriate.

Instead of just eating, plan a reasonable snack for when you get home. Something good for you, something that fits with your meal plan.

It's a body, not a machine. Even though we are diabetic, we need to work with our bodies, even when they're cranky.

Good luck!

Thank you

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I often include the following in a packed lunch box:

Walnuts
Peanuts
Cheese including baby belle
One apple or orange.
Aldi do low carb peanut bars and protein pots and I often have one of those.
Cold meats.

Diet Coke. Small can.

Don’t know if that helps.

Reactions: LondonCabby17

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you really are hungry then eat. I think the real problem is the hrs. Not much you can do about the hrs you work, but you can eat. You will have to figure out what works best based on your pattern of meals for any given day.

Reactions: Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A very late bedtime drink of cocoa (e.g. Green & Blacks) with some double cream maybe?

But I'd agree - if your're hungry then why not eat, or at least reconsider your packed lunch to make it slightly more filling - add a bit of fatty food, Jo's suggested some in her post.

Robbity

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you

Hi there, can you tell us the motive for not wanting to 'snack' at that time?, is it for weight loss for example or your glucose levels or both? I agree with others (and I work shifts too so I know what it's like), depending on your reasons, maybe have a couple of good quality sausages?, yum. x

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you
Why would you want to stop eating when you get home when your body is clearly telling you it's hungry. There is nothing wrong with the Bergen toast... better if you had some cheese on it... and the chicken thighs are good so if you are hungry when you get home then eat something just not carby snacks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will power is very over rated.
It always breaks down long term, and reminds me of those awful positive affirmations people used to parrot back in the 80s and 90s.

The reality is that the more effort you have to put into maintaining a regime, the harder it will collapse, and the sooner you will lapse into old habits.

My aim is always to move forwards into something that I prefer, rather than move away from something I am missing.

Sooo, in your situation, my lazy, habitual mind is actually seeing opportunities for increasing deliciousness and food intake, rather than trying to battle on with grit and determination. :D

First question: Are you hoping to maintain, lose or gain weight? (cos that makes a difference to what you can choose to do)
Second question: Do you want to go to bed on a full tum, or a not full but not hungry tum?
Third question: Do you want to snack between meals, or stick to mealtimes?

I loathe snacking. Just makes me hungrier. So my responses to those questions would be 1) maintain or lose weight, 2) not full tum, 3) stick to mealtimes
So I would just have a bigger evening meal when I stopped the cab in the evening to eat, including an enjoyable 'treat' or cheese, or nuts, or a low carb cake, or low carb hot chocolate. Then I would forget all about food until the next morning.

Depending on your responses to the questions, you can tailor make a way of eating that suits you and your lifestyle.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you

Those two slices of bread has become your habit. You've got to change it. Just snack on protein!
I have hard-boiled eggs, salmon and chicken salad (pre-made) sitting in the fridge for quick fix to hunger pangs. Also almonds and raw hulled squash seeds known as "pepitas."
If pork rinds does not have any negative effects on you, they're also great for snacking (drizzled with vinegar)!

If you can manage to avoid snacking, that would be even great!

JeanCL

Thank you

My low-effort occasional late-night fillers to help with insomnia probably due to hunger are full fat plain yoghourt, with some berry fruit if wished, or peanut butter, without salt. Hope helpful.

toncra1

Dislikes
NHS give completely wrong advice.

Thank you
One thing for all to know is buy organic bread and FREEZE it... when you then lightly toast it from the freezer, it only contains about half of the carbs per slice...

deekaycee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I understand the late night snacking and yes my doctor chews my ear off every time i see her. But my question to you is, are you simply struggling with the guilt associated with snacking or is it affecting your morning blood sugar numbers. This disease is so unpredictable! This morning I expected my morning BS numbers to be sky high because of what I ate last night, and yet they weren't - they were lower than the last few days. I've found its trial and error because no-one is the same. But I've stopped beating myself over it because doctors are fixated by the numbers whereas I go by how i feel. My doctor wants to increase my insulin to 18 units but I know my limits - i feel nauseous and bloated and simply can't function so I find a number I am comfortable with. I know they have expertise but I am the one living with it. All the best mate.

Reactions: Madmaureen

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing for all to know is buy organic bread and FREEZE it... when you then lightly toast it from the freezer, it only contains about half of the carbs per slice...
Are you sure? Where do the carbs go?
Only thing I know is that I need exactly the same amount of insulin for frozen and thawed bread as for fresh bread, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high...

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure? Where do the carbs go?
Only thing I know is that I need exactly the same amount of insulin for frozen and thawed bread as for fresh bread, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high...
you beat me to thet question@Antje77...

Reactions: Antje77