Type 2 Advice for to halt bs roller coaster please

mouseee

BS up and down today and feel dreadful.
Usual breakfast. Bacon, coffee
Felt low before lunch. 4.8 not too low but as low as I go. Forced myself to eat lunch.
Ate very LC lunch of lasagne... made with courgette slices not pasta before anyone panics!
1 hour after 9.4
2 hours 6.4
My brain wasn't functioning this afternoon and speaking coherently is really hard for me when I'm like this. Doesn't make teaching 30 9yr olds very easy!
5pm. 4.8
Handful of peanuts
6pm 5.7

Not sure what caused the rollercoaster but I'd like to get off.

My highs weren't very high and my lows weren't very low but I know it's the ups and down that have made me feel so bad as well as the speed of them.

These days are rare now and remind me of how bad I was before dx when this happened at least weekly.
But, how do I get back to being nice and level quickly? I will be fine again tomorrow but I need some advice about what to do or eat to get stable on a day like today.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Wish I new the other day my blood sugar after dinner was 10 + an hour or so after that it was at 3.9 it is definitely unpleasant when it happens. You have my sympathy.

mouseee

Extra question...
I did forget to take my metformin this morning but I'm not convinced that would be the reason for my strange day. Any thoughts?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure what caused the rollercoaster but I'd like to get off.
I sympathise. I am on a roller coaster too, but in my case the lows are higher and the peaks are lower than yours. I am feeling worse and worse - no way I could cope with your 9-year olds (well done!) I am eating VLC. It seems as if food will raise my bg, but my bg can also go up if I don't eat, especially as the day goes on. Like you I see my lowest readings around lunch-time. Sometimes moderate exercise seems to help bring the peaks down, but sometimes not, and exercising while feeling tired seems to raise my bg. My guess is that my biggest problem is not insulin resistance but lack of a regular supply of insulin, due to incipient LADA. I plan to have another go at convincing my GP to give me a C-peptide test soon. (She refused the first time, citing a guideline that this test is for diagnosing too much insulin, not too little.) If that indeed shows very low insulin, my next challenge will be to try and get a little basal insulin. I am not optimistic about my chances. I wonder if any of this rings a bell with you. Have you thought you might be LADA?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Extra question...
I did forget to take my metformin this morning but I'm not convinced that would be the reason for my strange day. Any thoughts?
Are you taking the quick acting or the slow release form?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mouseee,

With a job being a teacher you really don't need anything to make your job harder- I think teaching is one of the toughest jobs there is.

Did you calculate the crabs in your lunch? Of course it may be one of a million other thins- exercise for example or stress.

I personally feel so disappointed when I've kept to the low carbs and my levels get high- for me it is usually stress.

Good luck.

mouseee

Are you taking the quick acting or the slow release form?
Fast

And lasagne was beef mince in homemade tomato sauce, courgette slices, cheese on top. Tomatoes don't usually spike me and I've eaten it loads.

To add to the mystery, I ate some peanuts an hour ago which again don't spike me but now 8.4!

Headache gone but I know it'll be back!!!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So maybe forgetting to take your Metformin contributed to your woes? Personally, I'd dump the peanuts in favour of other nuts, which are anyway more nutritious. Brazils and walnuts are pretty low carb - c.3g carbs per 100g. Almonds are 9gcarbs per 100g. Peanuts are 16!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forced myself to eat lunch.
This suddenly rang a bell for me. I remember a while back, sometimes I really didn't want to eat, and forced myself, and the resulting bg (as well as indigestion!) was always high. I have now resolved that I should not eat when I don't want to. But of course it would be worrying to face an afternoon of difficult work with no possibility of a snack in the middle.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your bg dipped before your lunch, it may have triggered a liver dump.

liver dumps are where your liver releases stored glucose to raise bg in an ‘emergency’.
Of course, ‘an emergency’ could be anything, stress, exercise, being hungry, bg dipping too low, someone creping up behind you and saying ‘Boo!’...

and we, as metabolically challenged individuals, have bodies that have no sense of proportion, a hair trigger liver dump mechanism, and then have to cope with the aftermath. :D

in reality it is no biggie. In my case, I try to avoid the lows, and then my hysterical liver dump doesn’t happen. :) i try to think of it as my liver being over helpful, rather than being a problem.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is where a food diary can be helpful.
It can help you with days like today!
If this is a repeat of other similar days, you could be missing something that you don't realise is causing your symptoms.
Fasting helps, if you can.
I would ditch the peanuts, despite them having good fats and proteins.

And because I have many problems with foods, I have found that sticking to regimented meal times is not helping with control of blood sugar levels.

You might have to go lower carb than you realise because if you are new to low carb, you may still have problems with insulin resistance.
So if you trigger a spike, the symptoms will be a little worse, as you become aware of what is happening with your blood sugar control.

mouseee

Thanks people! Still so much to learn.

Everything you've all said makes sense.

I generally only have peanuts when I think I might need salt as I don't have any in most food. Did burn my supply of other nuts trying to make LC granola the other day, but that's another story...lol!

I have been open with my class and told them I have t2. We have children in school who are t1 so they sort of know about it I've also warned them that sometimes I might need a snack in lessons and I have got my stabbing kit out in front of them too. Important we educate our kids about everything!

Weird how these days happen.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I generally only have peanuts when I think I might need salt
When I had a yen for salted nuts I tried frying almonds in good olive oil and then salting them. It worked well, except that it was hard to be sure to fry them crispy but not burnt. It certainly gave the raw almonds a lot more zing.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@mouseee have you considered going to the Dr as your problems may not be T2 related? Another question - are you on statins? Hope you get it sorted soon

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been open with my class and told them I have t2. We have children in school who are t1 so they sort of know about it I've also warned them that sometimes I might need a snack in lessons and I have got my stabbing kit out in front of them too. Important we educate our kids about everything!
This is brilliant - for them and for you. I have a friend who has concealed the fact that he is T2 at work. As a result he feels unable to refuse birthday cake and other sugary treats brought in by his co-workers, which is sometimes pretty disastrous.