Which pump?

crystal6020

Hi I am new here although I have been lurking for a while, since my DS was diagnosed in March this year.

Anyway after numerous hypo seizures we have been advised that he has the pump and wondered those of you who have/or have children which are on the pump, what were your decisions with going for the chosen make. We have been advised between one from accu chek or one from medtronic - any advise please as I can see the benefits on both of them :roll:

thanks

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

I use the accu-chek combo and i love it.

It comes with a BG meter that also can operate the pump via bluetooth, so you can bolus with your pump still tucked away.

It's quite small about the size of a pager, doesn't weight much either.

you can set doses to 0.1 of a unit for basals and boluses.

The meter does alot of the work, recommending doses and corrections and will alert you to test for ketones when high and warn you to treat a hypo if you are low.

It shows data of your results in graphs which can be transferred onto a computer.

You have to put alot of information of you own to get all these functions to work but it's worth it, things like ratio's correction factors, insulin life.

It has different ways of bolusing and can programme the basal hourly.

Thats the basics i think, anything else ask away :)

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
we didnt get a choice we were given the veo from medtronic but i am of the opinion that pumps are wonderful devices so i dont think it makes a huge difference which one u go for each one has different options so pick which ever one u think will suit u best because they will both help with controlling the diabetes no end no matter the make :D

anna marie

serankine

Hi my daughter aged 5 has been on the pump for 2 and half weeks. We were advised to have the accu chek we change the canula every 3 days. Really pleased with it so far alot of work but we are already seeing the good results. My daughter loves it so far. Good luck.

Mini-Mimi

we've been on the accu chek combo for 5 days, we never had a choice, just got given it.
i am finding it hard at the moment but we're seeing better results already :)

crystal6020

Thanks everyone for your replies.

After speaking to the DSN we were told that we wouldn't have a choice afterall - although the consultant told us otherwise and showed us the medtronic one. Anyway just pleased that he will be able to have one and that it would be the accu chek one as that was the one we had decided to go with.

Looking at getting it August time (due to holidays) so would really like to gain all the hints and tips we/I can, so any advise please.

Thanks again :D

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
like i said it wouldnt of made a huge difference either way to get a pump is fantastic whichever make it is. as for advice dont expect too much straight away pumps take alot of work but they r def worth the work u put in, get as much sleep now as u can cos the first few weeks i felt like a zombie lol.

have a cupboard ready as the amount of supplies u have for a pump u need a space to keep it all once u have the pump practice changes often and have everything set out in front of u to start with its daunting but u quickly get used to site changes and they take less and less time to do.

tweak one thing at a time and do some fasting test to check ur on the right track with the basal amounts a good book to get is pumping insulin by john walsh i got it before we got dylans pump but it didnt make alot of sense but once u get the pump things make more sense.

good luck with it all u have done the hardest part and got approved for the pump now its just a waiting game

anna marie

ebony321

Dislikes
I agree with what anna marie has said.

Be prepared is the best tip. When you first start to do set changes and cartridge changes it can seem so complicated and sometimes you feel like you've forgotten everything you've been taught.

Take things slowly and try not to panic if things don't seem to be going right.

It's a learning curve and get's easier with time.

When it comes to changing sets and cartridges, get your booklets out so you have something to refer to and don't be afraid to call your pump nurse or you can even call the help line and they really will talk you through it and i find they are so friendly it puts you at ease!

Most places don't give you a choice of what pump you get, as they get pumps cheaper if they buy them in bulk, which i think it's good as if they get it cheaper they can buy more pumps :)

Like anna marie says, it doesn't really matter which one you get as all pumps available now are different in their own ways but they are all pretty much on the same par.

I'm sure when you get the pump you'll have plenty of questions to ask as you often don't think of a possible issue until it arises

I was warned with the pump i would be testing ALOT. Especially at night in the beginning so be prepared for a few restless nights, but it definately is worth it when you've got in cracked!

It's also commonly known that insulin sensitivity can increase when on the pump, so your currently doses of insulin will be initially slashed so avoid hypos, then you may find you have to slowly tweak certain parts of your basal to get a good balance again, because of this you may have a few highs which can make your first HBA1c either only slightly decreased of can even increase in some cases if you already have particularly good control, so don't worry about numbers on your first HBA1c.

My first one came out at 7.2% from 8.4% which is a good drop, but i did have a good few hypo's whilst tweaking things, but i also had some highs so even though it looks good i don't think it's exactly accurate, so i expect my next one to be roughly the same but if it is i will know it's because im starting to swing high less and less and i haven't had a hypo for 4 weeks now!!!!

Might be a good idea for you to look at cannulas and tubing to think about which one you would like to try.

There are either steel of teflon cannulas. The teflon ones are changed every 3 days and the steel ones every 2 days. Some people change more often but this is the longest it's recommended you keep them in for.

Both types have pro's and con's. I use the 6mm steel ones after changing from teflon ones due to a re-call from accu-chek. I prefer the steel ones as they are easier to insert and i have peace of mind knowing they won't kink, it's off putting knowing it's steel and not flexible but i personally cannot feel they when they are inserted properly!

Tubing can come in different lengths, varying depending on what is available with the cannula you choose. Mine is 50cm which is a good length for me as i only wear cannulas in my stomach so i put the pump mainly in my pocket and tuck the tubing in, also when i go to the toilet the tubing allows room for it not to be tugged!

You can also look at accessories for wearing the pump, there are some fantastic products designed for children, colourful belts and pump skins, clips and allsorts!

You might also want to look into lift spray or adhesive wipes to ease taking a cannula out as they can be quite sticky and tough to get off. you can also get numbing cream which could help with cannula insertion.

Also before you get your pump, ensure you have everything you need on prescription and the correct amounts too.

You will still need to have insulin pens and needles for a back up incase of pump failure which can happen of course with anything electronic.

Anything else that pops into your mind just ask :)

good luck

crystal6020

Thanks again for all the replies.

Wow so much info we really do appreciate it - didn't know about the differing types of cannulas available do will definately look into that one and the tubing sizes.

My son is so excited and just can't wait to have the pump, which I suppose is a good sign but then again we will have to explain that as with most things there will probably be teething problems to begin with, but hopefully short lived!! :lol:

He also has a biopsy on Friday next week as they think he is also coeliac so again a learning curve with carbs are going to be underway, again another reason for the delay in getting the pump.

You know I really take my hat off to all us parents and diabetics, as before my DS was diagnosed I was so naive about the condition - just thought it was an injection a day of insulin and avoid sugar, just how wrong was I :oops:

Thanks again x

ebony321

Dislikes
crystal6020 said:
Thanks again for all the replies.

Wow so much info we really do appreciate it - didn't know about the differing types of cannulas available do will definately look into that one and the tubing sizes.

My son is so excited and just can't wait to have the pump, which I suppose is a good sign but then again we will have to explain that as with most things there will probably be teething problems to begin with, but hopefully short lived!! :lol:

He also has a biopsy on Friday next week as they think he is also coeliac so again a learning curve with carbs are going to be underway, again another reason for the delay in getting the pump.

You know I really take my hat off to all us parents and diabetics, as before my DS was diagnosed I was so naive about the condition - just thought it was an injection a day of insulin and avoid sugar, just how wrong was I :oops:

Thanks again x

Awwwe, i'm glad he's excited! how old is he if you don't mind me asking?

I hope the biopsy is fine, but i'm sure you'll be fine if it is confirmed he has coeliac disease.

I really take my hat off to parents of children with diabetes. I don't have any children, nevermind one with any illness really. Takes alot to care for your own diabetes, soit must be difficult at times with children too!

I think diabetes is one of those illnesses everyone has heard of and everyone seems to know someone with diabetes but there's so many myths and so much to know about diabetes that unless your directly involved then it's likely you won't know much about it. All that matters is that when you are involved with diabetes that you learn as much as you can about it.

There's alot to the pump and many things to think about, i was quite worried with changes and the pump as a whole but now almost 4 months on i'm wondering what all the fuss was about :lol: still can be challenging though!!

best of luck!

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
dylan had the biopsy as his blood showed positive to coeliac but after a load of tears and worry the biopsy came back as normal they have said there is a chance he could develop it in the future but i try not to worry about it too much as we have enough to be going on with lol.

do lots of research on the pump the better informed u are the easier the transition will be :D

anna marie

Sweetwii044

Dislikes
Diabetes, Sometimes Parents, Homework
My accu check combo is amazing- and it comes with a video guide that u can read before you get it. I knew my pump before I got it and felt confident enough not to do the saline test