Tricks To Help With Late Night Hunger Pangs!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The same question to @toncra1 has now been asked 3 times. That's more than enough to alert them we'd like to know more.
Can we please stick to the thread topic now? If you agree with the question you can simply hit the agree icon below a post as to not derail this thread further.

Edited to update to reflect duplicate posts that have been deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I believe I read it on a thread here, resistant carbs or something. I've always frozen my bread as I can only get two slices out at a time otherwise it would all be toast :rolleyes:
There's also the thing are you really in need of fluid not food, trying a drink when you get in and then decide if it's hunger pains or not.
I'm about to try making some fat bombs (diet doctor) once my beloved finds some unsweetened coconut he reckons there's none to be had in Norwich :oops:

Reactions: LondonCabby17

Polarice

I'm finding I need to eat every 3 hours. I cannot go overnight without waking up starving with hunger pains every few hours. I usually have toast as it doesn't leave with swilling with too much liquid that I find it hard to get comfortable when I get back to bed. But getting up twice on these cold nights is no fun........

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe I read it on a thread here, resistant carbs or something. I've always frozen my bread as I can only get two slices out at a time otherwise it would all be toast :rolleyes:
There's also the thing are you really in need of fluid not food, trying a drink when you get in and then decide if it's hunger pains or not.
I'm about to try making some fat bombs (diet doctor) once my beloved finds some unsweetened coconut he reckons there's none to be had in Norwich :oops:

it is called ‘resistant starch’ but many people find that resistant starch in cooked, frozen and reheated food does not reduce blood glucose levels. Always worth testing carefully to see how it affects you.

since resistant starch is still starch, the carb content remains exactly the same.

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am looking for a bit of advice/help. I am struggling with snacking when I get home from work. I work very unsociable hours. I do bring my dinner to work with me and usually stop between 8pm-10pm to eat my packed lunch. I will often get home from work anytime after 1am and with sometimes have a couple of slices of Bergen bread toasted or a couple of chicken thighs. Is there and tricks that people that could help me stop this? I know WILL POWER should be enough but just wondered if anyone had any other ideas?

Thank you
There are no tricks. To start, you work odd hours and odd hours just happen to increase the desire to snack on the food you should not be eating. You need to remove the junk from the house, so you do not reach for the junk when the urge hits. I keep celery, peanut butter and cheese sticks on hand for the late night snack attacks. Take a piece of celery line it with peanut butter and place the cheese on top. I think having replacement snacks for the junk is the best route.

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I often include the following in a packed lunch box:

Walnuts
Peanuts
Cheese including baby belle
One apple or orange.
Aldi do low carb peanut bars and protein pots and I often have one of those.
Cold meats.

Diet Coke. Small can.

Don’t know if that helps.
Skip the apple orange as they are really high carb.

annmaried

I am looking for a bit of advice/help. I am struggling with snacking when I get home from work. I work very unsociable hours. I do bring my dinner to work with me and usually stop between 8pm-10pm to eat my packed lunch. I will often get home from work anytime after 1am and with sometimes have a couple of slices of Bergen bread toasted or a couple of chicken thighs. Is there and tricks that people that could help me stop this? I know WILL POWER should be enough but just wondered if anyone had any other ideas?

Thank you
I think what you are eating at that time of night is sensible- if I am out late I have decaf redbush tea and oatcakes ( with pate) - not too many !!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Some people have trouble sleeping if they are hungry. I can go for quite a while without eating, but we are all different. If I am hungry later in the evening. I will have a boiled and then baby bell cheese. How about making yourself a batch of soup using greens, Greens Beans, peppers, onion, celeriac, stock cube, garlic, and some herbs. Put it into the fridge in small bowls. This should fill you up enough so that you are not hungry. You could add some chicken. A small amount won't hurt you. How about a plain omelette? Nuts, sugar free jelly and cream,

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I needed something last night and indulged myself in a lemon sorbet from Waitrose total carbs 92 all of them sugar, which was calling me from deep in the freezer. I ate the whole tub, had the best nights sleep in years fasting BG 4.6!! How did that happen? Obviously my body knew what it wanted but I might not try that again just to get a good nights sleep. Perhaps I'm being told I need more carbohydrates at night? I'm normally eating between 60 and 90 carbs a day obviously not yesterday I ended up 134 carbs.

Bluecarnation

Apparently by toasting frozen bread it changes the glycaemic response therefore reducing the GI by 39%! That’s from a research in 2008, the same with reheating cold pasta and rice.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently by toasting frozen bread it changes the glycaemic response therefore reducing the GI by 39%! That’s from a research in 2008, the same with reheating cold pasta and rice.

test it and see what it does to YOUR blood glucose.
I get just as high bg readings no matter how many times something is frozen and reheated.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not for me. I need exactly the same insulin or frozen and thawed as for freshly cooked.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Wouldn't that be just caramelising the starch (or carb content) on the surface, regarding the bread?