Fasting video

Cracken

Medicine runs through my family in one way or another :), and after researching, remembered something about immune system resetting and connection with nutrition.

Fasting could be solution to reset immune system along with quite a bit of other body systems. Supervised by professional medical staff of course.

Currently i am in no financial condition to tryout clinics in Germany and Russia but i will soon i hope.

Check it out, what I'm referring to;

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't need a clinic to fast.. you do it every night whilst you are asleep and can extend it into the day by not eating until you are genuinely hungry. I do it every single day not eating until early afternoon at the earliest.
In my view a hugely beneficial therapy for lowering blood sugars specially when combined with a very low carb diet.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Medicine runs through my family in one way or another :), and after researching, remembered something about immune system resetting and connection with nutrition.

Fasting could be solution to reset immune system along with quite a bit of other body systems. Supervised by professional medical staff of course.

Currently i am in no financial condition to tryout clinics in Germany and Russia but i will soon i hope.

Check it out, what I'm referring to;

First post is usually "Hi everybody, i' got Dx with ..."

bit of light reading before stumbling into any forum would be my tip.

Good luck

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting doesn't need to be supervised unless you're on certain medications, but it's always wise to seek the advice of a medical professional beforehand even if you are not medicated.

I practice intermittent fasting with some extended fasts which not only help with my metabolic disease but also with my binge eating disorder.

Fasting is a currently underestimated health tool, and we should be wary of expensive clinics or programs which promise only they can deliver the results you need.

Fasting is surprisingly easy, free of charge and flexible. Let no one tell you you need to pay them for the privilege of using this tool.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I talked about fasting a couple of years ago I got a very firm NO from my health professionals and everyone else so I didn't try it. I do usually only eat breakfast (very early, about 6.00am), and lunch around 1.00pm and then just coffee after that but that video has given me a real boost to fast for several days. Need to eat up my food in the fridge and then start. Hopefully you will all give me encouragement as I know I will not get from anyone else.

I have put on some weight lately, up from 7 stone to 7 stone 10lbs. After my second hip replacement I went down to 6 and a half stones so I have been trying to put the weight back on and have gradually succeeded but at the expense of not being quite so strict with my diet and the detriment of mt blood glucose! I look after my horses, cats, chickens so am fairly active for at least part of the day

Wish me luck as I need some encouragement; don't get it at home and even when I was my usual 7 stone my sister kept saying I looked anorexic which I don't, just a bit thin!!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I talked about fasting a couple of years ago I got a very firm NO from my health professionals and everyone else so I didn't try it. I do usually only eat breakfast (very early, about 6.00am), and lunch around 1.00pm and then just coffee after that but that video has given me a real boost to fast for several days. Need to eat up my food in the fridge and then start. Hopefully you will all give me encouragement as I know I will not get from anyone else.
Did they give you any specific reasons why?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I have put on some weight lately, up from 7 stone to 7 stone 10lbs. After my second hip replacement I went down to 6 and a half stones so I have been trying to put the weight back on and have gradually succeeded but at the expense of not being quite so strict with my diet and the detriment of mt blood glucose! I look after my horses, cats, chickens so am fairly active for at least part of the day

Wish me luck as I need some encouragement; don't get it at home and even when I was my usual 7 stone my sister kept saying I looked anorexic which I don't, just a bit thin!!!
Even if very short you must be at or below a healthy weight and by fasting you may take your body fat too low and leave yourself vulnerable to infections etc. So it could be counterproductive.
This may have been why your medics said NO. Otherwise it may be because you are on insulin or blood sugar lowering drugs or anti hypertensives in which case supervision by a medic would be wise.
I have done 4 days of a fat fast (ate some coconut oil/nut butter) and I have plenty of ballast on me even so I won't do it again because the duration of the fast remains controversial - Doctor Stephen Finney who has been researching keto for a long time now, believes that you can risk losing muscle and at your current weight that will not help your metabolic health.
Sorry that is not very encouraging but I think you should honestly weight up the risks and benefits of going off the deep end with a multi day fast!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fasting could be solution to reset immune system along with quite a bit of other body systems.
Whilst fasting may well be helpful to various people, I somehow doubt it will reset my immune system to cure either my T1 or my Coeliac disease

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

"Winner" for the recent weight gain, I know how you have struggled with underweight. I think it would be sensible to get an assessment of body fat composition before extended fasting though. If you have very little body fat you may be in danger of forcing your body to utilise lean or functional tissues in the (extended) absence of food - maybe the drs you asked were thinking along these lines.

I'd be the last one to discourage fasting but one of the "don't fast if..." criteria is being underweight.

Edit: added "extended" - while I have heard of people running marathons in a fasted state, I'm fairly sure they didn't do extended fasts.

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your comments. Before diagnosis with T2 I weighed just under 9 stone. I never let myself go over 9 and fluctuated between 8 and a half and almost nine; about the right weight for me. Once I cut the carbs I dropped fairly quickly to just over 7 stone. After my second hip replacement Y dropped to 6 and a half stone and have not been so good about my diet to the detriment of my glucose but have put some weight on which is why I feel now might be the time to do my fast.

I wasn't intending to do more than a 4 or 5 day fast and see if it kick starts my pancreas! My glucose is always high in the morning even though I rarely eat anything after lunch time. I had an abdominal scan and haven't got a fatty liver or pancreas although I know it may be above my "threshold". I am only on metformin, blood pressure good, only other problems are low bone density and arthritis which I don't take any medication for except calcium and vitamin D.

Interested to hear if any other "skinnies" have iried a fast and how they got on.

I am a retired biochemist so know the pros and cons but would love to be able to eat a less restricted diet and have my glucose under better control to avoid the side effects of. a high glucose.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think most people would have a knee jerk reaction to the idea of someone underweight doing an extended fast so while I would feel like I should cheer you on, it wouldn't feel right to declare it safe.

It's a similar situation for me with binge eating disorder - also one of the "don't fast" criteria that I deem ok for me as it seems to help correct the disordered eating and deranged appetite. People are often reluctant to encourage me, thinking it might make BED worse.

Please do let us know how it goes if you decide to fast, maybe over on the fasting forum (I'm not in favour of helping to widen the views of the paid for intervention mentioned in OP).