Abbot Sensor

Pablo1980

My Abbott Sensor is on NHS I am very grateful for it but just wanted to say about my pet hate which is really annoying to me. They last 14 days each and when I run out only then can I order more which take 4-5 days because they have to order direct from Abbott I just think it’s ridiculous I have to go that time without one

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
My Abbott Sensor is on NHS I am very grateful for it but just wanted to say about my pet hate which is really annoying to me. They last 14 days each and when I run out only then can I order more which take 4-5 days because they have to order direct from Abbott I just think it’s ridiculous I have to go that time without one

You cannot order ahead ?

Explain the situation to your GP's practice and they may give you a 1 off script for 1 to get you ahead of the curve. Or ask for 3 next time only?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know my doctors are fine with me ordering before I run out. I think I'm just limited to not ordering more than 13 times a year (as my prescription is for 4). In fact most prescription stuff you really should order before it runs out :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

I self fund. (With the sensor.)

However, most supermarket chemists round my way have the Libre in stock regardless of being on script or not?
Technically, you should only need to wait for the prescription to process.. Which is about 2 days from submission to picking up??

I gave up with dealing with Abbott & went to reliable stockists like ASDA pharmacy.. Though Sainsbury's had shelf loads too..

Reactions: urbanracer

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
H
However, most supermarket chemists round my way have the Libre in stock regardless of being on script or not?
Technically, you should only need to wait for the prescription to process.. Which is about 2 days from submission to picking up??
Depends on the chemist I think, I know my local Asda tends to have them in stock, but my prescriptions go to a more local chemist which doesn't keep them in stock so they have to order them in which does take a couple of days - admittedly normally once I've done my repeat prescription online the prescription is at the chemist on the next working day (though they say to allow 2 days for processing) so I rarely have to wait too long.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends on the chemist I think, I know my local Asda tends to have them in stock, but my prescriptions go to a more local chemist which doesn't keep them in stock so they have to order them in which does take a couple of days - admittedly normally once I've done my repeat prescription online the prescription is at the chemist on the next working day (though they say to allow 2 days for processing) so I rarely have to wait too long.

Yep, admittedly it would depend on who the surgery deals with to dispense in the local.. :)

Looking at my current script, (just now..) they have 5 outlets to choose from, including the larger ones I listed above & a slightly nearer Boots in addition...

My D stuff is normally picked up from my local high street chemist..

[edit; correction 5, not 6.]

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Before I stopped using Libre, I was prescribed two at a time - and told to renew the prescription when I’d put the second one on.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I order more which take 4-5 days because they have to order direct from Abbott

I don't know where mine come from, I will ask my Boots pharmacist, but if they don't have any on their shelf, it takes 24 hrs, so I'm guessing Boots have them in stock in a warehouse somewhere . . . . .usually. There was ONE occasion when I waited a week, but as I pay for mine, I ordered four.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I am issued 2 at a time and my pharmacy orders them after 3 weeks so they are always there for me

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Crazy how things differ from country to country. Over here I get a 12 month script, send it off to Abbott and they'll send me a 6 mo. supply twice a year. They'll even send me an e-mail early enough so I don't forget the yearly renewal.

On the other hand, they can only be had directly from Abbott, since they don't work with pharmacies.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy three at a time - self funded (don’t let Mrs Miggins know how much they cost).
I have had two replaced by Abbot when they went faulty (the reader or app stores lots of information and it only takes a phone call).

Downside to them so far: If I inadvertently sleep on it the fasting reading can sometimes just give a big red LOW.
It goes nuts after a sauna - and for a couple of hours.

Overall, a pretty good bit of kit when eating to your meter and you can tell what your fasting reading is when you actually wake up rather than 10 minutes later when Mr Liver has joined the party

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I put my prescription in i get 4 sensors at a time, so two months worth, my prescription does say no more than 26 can be prescribed in a year though.
H ave you tried ordering when your current sensor has 4-5 days left so you get the new one in time, surely the doctors not calculating the days between each one.

Reactions: Ushthetaff