To fast or not to fast for a blood test, that is my question?

Polarice

I've had my invite for my annual check. I need a blood test for blood sugar and cholesterol. Every year until now it has been a fasting test, this time I've been told I don't need to fast. I checked with the GP Surgery today and they said the 'new' test doesn't require you to fast. But how can they accurately test your levels of you've eaten recently - as surely that will give too a high reading ?
Has anyone else had a non-fasting blood test for HbA1c and cholesterol ?

Thanks !

D

Deleted member 308541

I fast for both of them if I get them done at the same time, if I only get a hba1c test I do not fast.

I only fast for the cholesterol / lipids test.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FAST

it's the only way you can be sure of accurate results.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you feel the need to not follow the guidelines and requests of your GP then you should tell them. Then arrange to look elsewhere for your yearly checks. I believe some people use private services.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If it's a full panel of cholesterol tests, then fast. HBA1C doesn't matter, but lipid panels do. At least I'd hope they are doing a full panel, if they are just doing a total cholesterol and Triglycerides then they are wasting your time. Total cholesterol means nothing. A full panel gives you the chance to see what the ratios are and these are important.

If in your shoes I'd fast.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I never fast for blood tests unless specifically told to. I certainly don't bother for A1c and cholesterol.

I am sure that I've seen some research recently which concluded that for the majority of blood tests, fasting makes no difference to the outcome. I will have a look for this and post a link if I can find it.

Reactions: Rose22

mutter

As a GP, I now no longer recommend Fasting blood tests, unless in specific circumstances, mainly focused around an abnormally raised Triglyceride result on a Non-fasted blood test.
Historically, we measured fasting glucose for diagnosis, (which is still very relevant for certain conditions, such as a possible diabetes in pregnancy...) however now we use HbA1c, which is far more useful a marker of control and diagnosis.
In fact a Non-fasted cholesterol, both LDL and HDL is much more useful, as it gives a picture of 'Dynamic' profile, i.e. real world, whereas fasted actually gives quite a false impression which doesn't really help tailor advice and discussion and whether a statin dose might be adjusted...

Also, Non-fasting blood tests are much more positive for patients and much easier to schedule into a working day and a busy GP phlebotomy appointments list...

I hope that this helps.

The change from Fasting to Non-fasting is only starting to occur in the last few years, so there will remain quite a lot of variation across surgeries...

The only thing to add, is that phlebotomists have been known to turn away patients who have Fasted on the blood form, but haven't fasted.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a GP, I now no longer recommend Fasting blood tests, unless in specific circumstances, mainly focused around an abnormally raised Triglyceride result on a Non-fasted blood test.
Historically, we measured fasting glucose for diagnosis, (which is still very relevant for certain conditions, such as a possible diabetes in pregnancy...) however now we use HbA1c, which is far more useful a marker of control and diagnosis.
In fact a Non-fasted cholesterol, both LDL and HDL is much more useful, as it gives a picture of 'Dynamic' profile, i.e. real world, whereas fasted actually gives quite a false impression which doesn't really help tailor advice and discussion and whether a statin dose might be adjusted...

Also, Non-fasting blood tests are much more positive for patients and much easier to schedule into a working day and a busy GP phlebotomy appointments list...

I hope that this helps.

The change from Fasting to Non-fasting is only starting to occur in the last few years, so there will remain quite a lot of variation across surgeries...

The only thing to add, is that phlebotomists have been known to turn away patients who have Fasted on the blood form, but haven't fasted.

Most interesting, thank you @mutter for posting in and welcome to the forum.

a few questions arise out of some of your statement.

but please don't think me rude and aiming this at you personally,

The principle involved in the ABNORMALLY RAISED elements that make non fasting a better choice, can you expand as to what they might be, as in cause and why THEN a fasted test makes good sense. ?

A few have raised the issue that when going for tests, the answer has been they are OK.
only when they have investigated the scoring has the HBA1c came back as less then ok, 48 - 42

my concern would be the non fasted tests might give an unclear picture in our case ( as diabetics)
where the information is given as OK, when on investigation it would be clear it's not.
Perhaps something that might not be so clear in the muddier waters of a Non fasting test.

For me the Blood tests have proved invaluable in terms of me understanding exactly where i am metabolically.
Nerdy perhaps, but i do dissect the scoring i am able to understand, to better comprehend how well and in what direction i have or need to have any of those markers move for better health outcomes.

The reason i baulk at a non fasted test is twofold.

One is old data seems to indicate that Type 2 are more susceptible to hearts attacks, strokes etc

i am coming to the idea that this is CAUSED* by the old style instruction to carry on eating certain foods, which for T2D is harmful, While the advise to eat IN reduced measures as in Eatwell, the truth is that they are actively encouraging countless patients to continue taking excess amounts of the very thing that IS impairing their health.
(sources all T2D data, last 30 years..Progressive disease, indeed)
(*something i hope and believe will be verified by this generation of T2's Bucking the idea of eating for a progressive illness, and trying LCHF instead or the many version most on here currently use to manage the illness successfully)

I'd worry that that datas interpretation is then laid over the non fasting blood test, resulting in incorrect scores and /or advise

And two,
As for data reflecting a real world scenario, i would agree for most, but for me personally right now,
i am more concerned about what the effects are on me WITHOUT the background impact any excess foods, etc i might of had, so would at the moment prefer that clean slate, for my tests.

Happy to hear clear evidence why fasting is not a good idea or that Non fasting results ARE much clearer, particularly when related to Diabetes, being already present in patients.

Willing to change my opinions, and stand corrected.

until then i'll stick with Fasting.

Kind regards.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had my invite for my annual check. I need a blood test for blood sugar and cholesterol. Every year until now it has been a fasting test, this time I've been told I don't need to fast. I checked with the GP Surgery today and they said the 'new' test doesn't require you to fast. But how can they accurately test your levels of you've eaten recently - as surely that will give too a high reading ?

Thanks !

Depends what you think you may learn from the test.

For HbA1c its generally thought of as unnecessary.

Are you worried about cholesterol?
Do you care what the results are and what are you comparing them to?

If your previous tests were in a fasted state then fast. If they weren't in a fasted state then don't bother.
However please be sure you know that not fasting pre the cholesterol test will have an impact on the test results and any conclusions that your GP may infer from them.

Reactions: HSSS
M

Member496333

I would fast 12-14h before a lipid test. Especially if you're fat fuelled. Otherwise it's a waste of time. May as well pluck numbers out of the air. Personally I couldn't give two hoots about cholesterol anyway, but that's a discussion for another day :angelic:

Reactions: WackyJacky64

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely though both only give a snapshot of cholesterol levels at a specific moment in time?
Not sure what you mean by "dynamic" in this context.
If all previous tests have been done fasted then surely for consistency the new tests should be done under the same conditions or the results would not be comparable?

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely though both only give a snapshot of cholesterol levels at a specific moment in time?
Not sure what you mean by "dynamic" in this context.
If all previous tests have been done fasted then surely for consistency the new tests should be done under the same conditions or the results would not be comparable?
Not getting it either. Always fasted would be my choice for a constant baseline to facilitate a comparison in the first place. How would I judge development if I came in once with a belly full of cookies an hour before the test, next time with eggs and bacon 2 hrs before and 3 Egg McMuffins after that? All three would give me results, but I wouldn't be able to put them to any use really...

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I've got my annual blood test this month and told to fast , the appointment is at 11 am and know i will feel really sicky from lack of food . I hate alte appointments for the test as I am really rubbish at going hungry .

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got my annual blood test this month and told to fast , the appointment is at 11 am and know i will feel really sicky from lack of food . I hate alte appointments for the test as I am really rubbish at going hungry .

It takes practise.. if you are used to having breakfast try moving the time you have it an hour later and later into the day over a week... by the end of it you'll have skipped breakfast entirely and can start with lunch!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mutter .Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your post and the insight contained within.
It’s comforting and informative to have real information and practical advice that is relevant and not swayed by external beliefs.
There are obviously different views on this subject but having an experts views and input can only be a positive step in the right direction for this forum.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For HBA1C fasting makes no difference. A fasting spot blood test is of no use unless for a specific reason as Mutter says. Doing a non-fasting lipids panel using the same time of day and food that day might give comparable results over several tests and as Mutter says gives more of a real-world view?