Hypo Warning Signs

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My early warning sign for a hypo is a visual disturbance. I get a small area of "shimmering" in the centre of my vision.
Anyone else see this?
It's a little confusing as this is also how migraines begin for me. However if it is a migraine the disturbance then spreads outward to the periphery of my vision.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @DunePlodder I have many symptoms when I run low but haven't experienced this, I tend to find my vision does get poor the lower I get though.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I find my focus tends to go a bit, but the main initial indication I feel is an inrease in heart rate..

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Mine can include: Vision change (not a shimmer though), feeling very hungry, everything feeling like a huge effort and being very snappy at people.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's strange how different we are. Just to add another twist to my warnings I recently had a cataract op & the visual sign is the same, but happens at a a higher BG - sometimes 4.5 or more.
I get all the other signs - shaky/sweaty/hard to think etc as I get lower.
Oh yes & & very hungry of course.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get the same with a migraine. My hypo symptoms are sweats, shivering, headache, tiredness and, so I am told but don't believe, foul temper.

Reactions: DunePlodder

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yeah, lower field of vision I get an Arizona desert effect. Or flashing sparkles of LED lighting..

I call it my "heads up display."

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's weird how we all get very different symptoms. If mine drops to between 3 & 4, I get a fluttery, shaky feeling. If it drops to between 2 & 3 the signs get much more intense (as you would expect) and my mouth goes numb, as if I have numbed it with a gum ulcer cream.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The last severe hypo I had I didn't get any warning signs I just came round on the bedroom floor at 3 AM with my concerned family trying to get me up off the floor I still can't remember exactly what happened

The last low reading since then of 2.2 I didn't get much in the the way of signs or it could be that I just didn't recognize them as such I did feel sick and dizzy and had head pains with blurred vision but then again that's pretty normal for me these days

You get used to it.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounded very unpleasant to say the least. I've always had good warning signs - my worst hypos being overnight.
A really nasty one, on my own, in a hotel, persuaded me to fund a Dexcom CGM.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too get a shimmering view of the world when I'm very low, it can quickly turn to bright flashing lights (probably similar to what jaylee describes tbh) that almost blind me if not treated but have to say it doesn't happen always and I rarely get in that state anyway - tingling lips, sometimes a numbness in the mouth (and a fluttery feeling that someone else also mentioned) is enough to stop me doing what ever I was doing and reach for the glucotabs and then the BG meter.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That sounded very unpleasant to say the least. I've always had good warning signs - my worst hypos being overnight.
A really nasty one, on my own, in a hotel, persuaded me to fund a Dexcom CGM.

Yes I can see why, I always test at bedtime now and if on the low side will have some carbs because that experience scared me somewhat and I want to avoid it ever happening again if possible.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No vision changes for me, my warning signs are a sense of dread and fingers getting shaky. The shaking worsens if I get lower and I've been told all the colour drains from my face.

bscarrier

My first sign is feeling anxious, trying to finish quickly the job I’m doing, this is probably due to an increase of Adrenalin. This then mixed with getting hotter, then noticing slight changes in focus. I don’t always feel hungry.

SalRead1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have similar experiences during the day, but night-time hypos are characterised by what can only really be termed as dreams which go round in circles. It’s like trying to solve a puzzle where the solutions are constantly moving. At some point I get so frustrated by it all that I wake up.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SalRead1 . Wow your post brings back so many memories of night time hypos from years back.
Fortunately I’ve not had a nighttime/ nightmare hypo for along time.
I can still vividly recall some horrendous and scary dreams whilst being hypo and asleep.

AJRimmsey

My early warning sign for a hypo is a visual disturbance. I get a small area of "shimmering" in the centre of my vision.
Anyone else see this?
It's a little confusing as this is also how migraines begin for me. However if it is a migraine the disturbance then spreads outward to the periphery of my vision.

Exactly what happens to me,first time i see another has same thing..i always called it wormy vision,no migraines though,its just spreads out and disappears.
had no idea it was diabetes related

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly what happens to me,first time i see another has same thing..i always called it wormy vision,no migraines though,its just spreads out and disappears.
had no idea it was diabetes related
Sort of glad I'm not the only one! Mine is definitely connected to low blood sugars.