Libre

NorfolkNic

I'm thinking if self funding a libre but I know if I put it on my arm I will knock it off, where else do people put them please?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

The opposite side. Inside/under the arm? It seems to adhere to the softer skin better too..?

Reactions: NorfolkNic

Sujac57

I have just had mine They have put it on the outer arm so I have got some Box tape on it as I know I will knock it off as I sleep on my sides When I do the next one I am going to put it on my inner arm and hopefully it will stick better

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always use a Hypafix (about the same as Tegaderm) patch over it and haven't lost a sensor anymore in the last 2 years. I did have trouble before.
I use a roll of 10m X 10cm and cut squares from it. That leaves me with patches big enough to trim the edges when they start to get loose.

tina t

I'm thinking if self funding a libre but I know if I put it on my arm I will knock it off, where else do people put them please?
I have used the libre for many years now and you do have to take care where you attach and how firmly. I have found adding strips of thin tape round edges of sensor not touching disc work. I use either arm and have tried my thigh but kept accidently removing it along with my jeans

NorfolkNic

Is it ok to cover the centre hole of the sensor with tape ?
I always use a Hypafix (about the same as Tegaderm) patch over it and haven't lost a sensor anymore in the last 2 years. I did have trouble before.
I use a roll of 10m X 10cm and cut squares from it. That leaves me with patches big enough to trim the edges when they start to get loose.

SaladDaze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nic
I use Tegaderm 1624W transparent film dressing, 6x7cm. You can find the one I buy on Amazon here. I researched before fitting my first Libre and it was this video "Bali Proofing a FreeStyle Libre Sensor" on YouTube that sold me on the idea of Tegaderm. I've worn a Libre about 7 or 8 times now and had never had any problems, either with the dressing or the Libre. I always ask my wife to put the Tegaderm on. I think it would be a bit fiddly to put on yourself with the sensor towards the back of your arm. As self-funding a type 2 I've now settled on using 1 Libre every two months. That's two weeks on and six weeks off. That is enough for me to make sure the diabetes is remaining stable and maybe to experiment a bit with different foods. I'd happily wear a Libre the whole time but it's a bit expensive. I've always worn mine on the side/back of my upper arm. It is OK to cover the central hole. Good luck.
Doug

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it ok to cover the centre hole of the sensor with tape ?
Yes!
If you want to be able to take the tape/patch off again you can use a piece of tissue/tp/whatever to keep it from sticking to the sensor.
I don't bother. If the patch gets loose to close to the sensor I simply trim and pu a new patch over the old.
Often the patches keep for the whole 2 weeks, occasionally it needs a replacement before the sesor has ended.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thank you for all your replys, it's arriving today so am really nervous!!!

Hi @NorfolkNic good luck today. It is easy and painless to insert, trust me. I use mine on the inside of my arm. The Abbotts rep told me to put it there. She was a T1D and put hers there as well. Not had 1 knocked off there in over a year. Good luck and let us know how you get on with it

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you ever needed to cover it with tape ?
I know I've never needed to cover mine, in fact when they were using the old adhesive they stuck to me like superglue, it was a right pain to remove them, I find the newer adhesive makes it easier to remove but they still stick to me well - though I think to a certain extent it will depends on your skin type.
I only ever knocked one off (in about 2 and a half years) and that was when I kinda walked into the edge of a big wooden crate in a supermarket in France, and to be honest I think the libre stopped me doing more damage to my arm than I did do.

NorfolkNic

Ok thank you x
I know I've never needed to cover mine, in fact when they were using the old adhesive they stuck to me like superglue, it was a right pain to remove them, I find the newer adhesive makes it easier to remove but they still stick to me well - though I think to a certain extent it will depends on your skin type.
I only ever knocked one off (in about 2 and a half years) and that was when I kinda walked into the edge of a big wooden crate in a supermarket in France, and to be honest I think the libre stopped me doing more damage to my arm than I did do.

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too self-fund and don't cover mine with tape. I haven't knocked it off yet (knock on wood) It is attached to the fleshy part of a my under upper arm. Good luck with it, they give so much valuable data. I feel more in control of my BG levels now.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nic
I use Tegaderm 1624W transparent film dressing, 6x7cm. You can find the one I buy on Amazon here. I researched before fitting my first Libre and it was this video "Bali Proofing a FreeStyle Libre Sensor" on YouTube that sold me on the idea of Tegaderm. I've worn a Libre about 7 or 8 times now and had never had any problems, either with the dressing or the Libre. I always ask my wife to put the Tegaderm on. I think it would be a bit fiddly to put on yourself with the sensor towards the back of your arm. As self-funding a type 2 I've now settled on using 1 Libre every two months. That's two weeks on and six weeks off. That is enough for me to make sure the diabetes is remaining stable and maybe to experiment a bit with different foods. I'd happily wear a Libre the whole time but it's a bit expensive. I've always worn mine on the side/back of my upper arm. It is OK to cover the central hole. Good luck.
Doug

What a good idea! I’ve been considering self funding a Libre but the expense has put me off. Your system of 2 weeks on 6 weeks off seems very workable. Thanks.