motivation

luxy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 but have been in remission since March 19, so off all meds but I have lost motivation and eating all wrong foods. suger levels are still ok, sometimes drops to 3.2 mid afternoon and I get palpitations with it, any advice to get motivated again

mouseee

I could tell you about my mum and how bad she is with various t2 related illnesses and problem?? That she's in and out if hospital and has a carer four times a day in her early 70s.

She's my motivation to not follow in her footsteps. Do you have a family history of t2?

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Having watched a programme on amputation 2(?) years ago, that would certainly have motivated me to keep on the straight and narrow! It's easy to say this, especially as we don't know what stopped you being motivated. You had obviously done very well to be in remission, but even the most self controlled can cave in occasionally. Just don't let it become the norm! I wish you luck @luxy .

Reactions: therower

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you still regularly test? I still do and part of my reasoning is that it will keep me motivated. I am a. carb addict and my motivation comes from the knowledge of the possible effects of uncontrolled diabetes. I don't consider my food options a choice- they are what I need to do to stay healthy.

Maybe just start with regular testing to see if that motivates you.

It is important- Good luck.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
suger levels are still ok, sometimes drops to 3.2 mid afternoon and I get palpitations with it

Anyone else think that this sounds like reactive hypoglycemia, not unknown for T2 sufferers... Luckily the treatment for RH is the same as for T2 . Go low carb, your body just can't process carbs properly....

I have always thought that RH was much worse than T1 or T2, I hate hypos with a passion. I would definitely go very low carb if I were to suffer from hypos whenever I ate carbohydrate.

Tagging @Brunneria and @Lamont D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 but have been in remission since March 19, so off all meds but I have lost motivation and eating all wrong foods. suger levels are still ok, sometimes drops to 3.2 mid afternoon and I get palpitations with it, any advice to get motivated again

Hi and welcome! :)

What are you having at lunch, before you get the 3.2 and the palpitations?

M

Member496333

Just watched this, first episode only, but certainly enough to re-motivate anyone!

Yeah it's very good. Actually, some of the dietary messages later in the series are a little off-point, but nevertheless the whole thing is very worthwhile watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Concordjan

mariefrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just watched the whole New Zealand documentary. It's very sobering but for me, definitely worthwhile watching. Thanks for posting the link, Jim Lahey.

Luxy, I try to wear my Type II diabetes as lightly as I can from day to day but there's no doubt getting it into remission over the last 2 years has involved major lifestyle changes and sometimes maintaining those changes can be tricky. I've recently returned from another stay looking after a sick relative. This is the last of a number of stays I've made over the last few months where I found it very easy to slip out of my lchf way of eating, no exercise etc.

This week I'm really having to push myself to get back on track. But what motivates me is the overriding idea of how lucky I've been getting diagnosed so recently when there is so much great information and support around to help us turn things round. (I so wish this info had been around when my grandmother had Type II). I agree with Pasha, this is a golden opportunity for us. Getting into remission is a great achievement. Recognise that about yourself, give yourself a big pat on the back, and don't let it go now.

Reactions: Concordjan