Chicken and vegetable soup

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a problem with binge eating which is not totally under control. I'm type 2 but not currently on any diabetes medication. I was on 3 x 500mg daily but was taken off that after a heart attack last year.

My binges usually happen between 10 am and noon. Dont ask me why as I have no idea why I only binge in those hours. After a binge my sugar level can shoot up into the high 20s/low 30s and is normally quite slow to reduce down towards a normal level again, but can still be above 12 at around 8pm.

I bought a couple of containers of fresh chicken and vegetable soup from tesco the other day. They only have about 9gm of carbs per serving. I thought they might be a filler I could take at lunch time to help in the fight against the bingeing.

The soup has in fact helped reduce the number of binges I have, which is great. But I've noticed another benefit if I do have a binge.

Having a bowl of the soup in the afternoon seems to speed up the time it takes for my sugar levels to return to normal, which for me would be under 6 mmol at around 8 pm.

So for me this soup, which also tastes good, is having a positive effect on my struggle with binge eating and seems to be offsetting some of the bad effects my bingeing has on my blood sugar.

It's certainly not a cure, but I'm happy that I've found something that seems to help me with my problem eating.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a problem with binge eating which is not totally under control. I'm type 2 but not currently on any diabetes medication. I was on 3 x 500mg daily but was taken off that after a heart attack last year.

My binges usually happen between 10 am and noon. Dont ask me why as I have no idea why I only binge in those hours. After a binge my sugar level can shoot up into the high 20s/low 30s and is normally quite slow to reduce down towards a normal level again, but can still be above 12 at around 8pm.

I bought a couple of containers of fresh chicken and vegetable soup from tesco the other day. They only have about 9gm of carbs per serving. I thought they might be a filler I could take at lunch time to help in the fight against the bingeing.

The soup has in fact helped reduce the number of binges I have, which is great. But I've noticed another benefit if I do have a binge.

Having a bowl of the soup in the afternoon seems to speed up the time it takes for my sugar levels to return to normal, which for me would be under 6 mmol at around 8 pm.

So for me this soup, which also tastes good, is having a positive effect on my struggle with binge eating and seems to be offsetting some of the bad effects my bingeing has on my blood sugar.

It's certainly not a cure, but I'm happy that I've found something that seems to help me with my problem eating.
A bit of a tangent but I like soup for lunch, particularly in the winter. I started a thread ages ago looking for low carb tins of soup, the only good ones I found are by Elsinore. I have the Sainsbury's chilled Chicken and Vegetable Broth sometimes which is not bad especially if you add some leftover cooked chicken. I will try the Tesco one you mention and I notice they do a Cully and Sully version which is also low carb.

Reactions: Inchindown

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I luv soup but especially homemade. I can eat it by the bucket load. Had fish soup for lunch today, out of this world and soooooooooooo good on cold, wet winter's days

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I luv soup but especially homemade. I can eat it by the bucket load. Had fish soup for lunch today, out of this world and soooooooooooo good on cold, wet winter's days

Come on Sue, you're not getting off that easily, fish soup recipe please, I've never thought to make a fish soup but it sounds good. x

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, @Inchindown . It is half the battle recognising, accepting and telling others that you binge eat.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Come on Sue, you're not getting off that easily, fish soup recipe please, I've never thought to make a fish soup but it sounds good. x
Oh my fish bones!! The pot I ate yesterday came out of a tin................. but bought in France. I make it a lot and it is soooooooooooooo yummy @KK123

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit of a tangent but I like soup for lunch, particularly in the winter. I started a thread ages ago looking for low carb tins of soup, the only good ones I found are by Elsinore. I have the Sainsbury's chilled Chicken and Vegetable Broth sometimes which is not bad especially if you add some leftover cooked chicken. I will try the Tesco one you mention and I notice they do a Cully and Sully version which is also low carb.
I have replied to my own post as I have now tried the Tesco Chicken and Vegetable soup and also the Cully and Sully one. The Tesco one is very similar to the Sainsbury's version, a rather watery broth, but I think the Tesco version is a bit nicer. Both versions would be much improved by adding some leftover cooked chicken. The Cully and Sully Chicken and Vegetable soup is a thicker more creamy blended soup and is much nicer, I would definitely buy it again. At 2.4g of carbs per 100g it is very low carb for a soup and I had the whole 400g pot on its own for my lunch. Maybe something for @Inchindown to try.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have replied to my own post as I have now tried the Tesco Chicken and Vegetable soup and also the Cully and Sully one. The Tesco one is very similar to the Sainsbury's version, a rather watery broth, but I think the Tesco version is a bit nicer. Both versions would be much improved by adding some leftover cooked chicken. The Cully and Sully Chicken and Vegetable soup is a thicker more creamy blended soup and is much nicer, I would definitely buy it again. At 2.4g of carbs per 100g it is very low carb for a soup and I had the whole 400g pot on its own for my lunch. Maybe something for @Inchindown to try.
I tried the Cully and sully chicken and vegetable soup. Quite a nice taste, but I wasn't as keen on the blended soup. It has a texture similar to cream of tomato soup.

I really prefer chunky soups. So the Tesco variety will be my first choice for now. I'll probably have a look at some of the other sully and cully soup varieties though.