Alcohol and Diabetes

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

I was wondering If were to consume alcohol which type should I choose. Since the diagnosis I haven't had any, so I don't really know how it will affect my sugars. Since I am not on insulin anymore, I generally shouldn't be concerned with hypos (right?). I assume I should avoid those with carbs - like beer. I've read somewhere on the net that spirits, like vodka,gin, rum and whiskey don't have carbs so they should not elevate my sugar. Out of those mentioned I prefer whiskey. However I also read that whiskey contains half a teaspoon of sugar in 25 ml. This gets me confused, does whiskey have carbs or not?

Can someone share with me their experiences with drinking alcohol with diabetes, and the effect on the blood sugar readings?
Much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 308541

As a T2, I drink low carb beer both draft or bottled with no problems. As for whisky having lots of carbs, I drink single malt whisky which has zero carbs in it.

I do not go out of my way to #$%@ faced drunk when I drink alcohol either.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’ve continued to drink small amounts of alcohol whilst managing my diabetes - using the guide below
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/alcohol-guide
You mainly need to be careful with any mixers. I have a gin at weekends but always mix with soda water. I also drink dry white and red wine just never go overboard. It’s not stopped me reducing my weight and bgs to low normal.
Hope this helps you.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I can't stand whiskey ... Bacardi and diet Coke I can get away with. Otherwise a red

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m ok with any dry wine or spirits and low cal/carb mixer. Can’t doFevertree as it make my BG rise.

Reactions: Rich92

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m ok with any dry wine or spirits and low cal/carb mixer. Can’t doFevertree as it make my BG rise.
Gin and Schweppes Slimline tonic was even recommended on my DESMOND course and has no carbs. Unfortunately many bars now stock Fevertree and their "light" tonic has 7.6g of carbs in a 200ml bottle.

Reactions: Flora123

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gin and Schweppes Slimline tonic was even recommended on my DESMOND course and has no carbs. Unfortunately many bars now stock Fevertree and their "light" tonic has 7.6g of carbs in a 200ml bottle.

I know. It is really hard to get Schweppes these days. I swap to vodka and Diet Coke or wine.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is one of those good new/bad news situations. Some bad news is that wine and beer have sugar in them. The fermentation process leaves some sugar since the drink would taste nasty without it and in most cases the alcohol kills off the yeast and stops the fermentation anyway.

Some good news is that distilled drinks (whisky, gin etc.) do not have sugar in them and shouldn't raise your blood sugar unless you mix it with something with sugar in.

Some really bad news is that ethanol is metabolised into liver fat (fructose also) and maybe worsen your diabetes in the long term.

So, it's a question of whether you want high blood sugars now or later.

I am currently at the stage where I improved tremendously with LC but carried on drinking wine and have now made matters worse. I am afraid that my conclusion is that abstention (for me) is the only route left.

Reactions: Member496333

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is one of those good new/bad news situations. Some bad news is that wine and beer have sugar in them. The fermentation process leaves some sugar since the drink would taste nasty without it and in most cases the alcohol kills off the yeast and stops the fermentation anyway.

Some good news is that distilled drinks (whisky, gin etc.) do not have sugar in them and shouldn't raise your blood sugar unless you mix it with something with sugar in.

Some really bad news is that ethanol is metabolised into liver fat (fructose also) and maybe worsen your diabetes in the long term.

So, it's a question of whether you want high blood sugars now or later.

I am currently at the stage where I improved tremendously with LC but carried on drinking wine and have now made matters worse. I am afraid that my conclusion is that abstention (for me) is the only route left.

That is interesting Squire, I don't wish to 'out' you in any way but can you tell us how much wine you drank and precisely how matters were made worse? I don't drink at all but there are many posts generally saying (some) alcohol is fine and another viewpoint is always welcome. x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is interesting Squire, I don't wish to 'out' you in any way but can you tell us how much wine you drank and precisely how matters were made worse? I don't drink at all but there are many posts generally saying (some) alcohol is fine and another viewpoint is always welcome. x

I have been involved with wine since my teens. I used to make it and at one time I was fermenting 30 gallons at a time. This was often given to wedding receptions or birthday parties but usually after I had my share. I never kept records of what I drank but by normal standards it was a lot. I attribute my diabetes to this behaviour since as far as diet was concerned I was never a carb freak.

Nevertheless, going low carb did help and lowered my Hba1c to normal levels. I carried on drinking wine and, presumably, that is the cause of my current rise in Hba1c to 80+.

The subject of whether alcohol is good for you is moot but having stress tested it I can say that if you can avoid it then that's all to the good. I am sure that having the odd glass won't harm anyone but I was drinking the even ones as well and that's not good.