Caesarean babies' 'diabetes risk'

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Is this a covert way of getting the "TPTP" brigade to have normal deliveries,I wonder?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I wouldn't know about the direct link between Casaean birth and diabetes, but there is a suspicion that Caesaean babies are often reluctant to breastfeed and thus get put onto bottles. this happened to my grand daughter, despite her mother's wanting to feed her. A researcher from the university came to talk to my daughter about it and said it's something she's finding in her work on breastfeeding and it doesnt appear to be a TPTP phenomenon. I'd be prepared to believe that bottle feeding could be a factor.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
That's a good point hanadr.More chance of a relationship between bottle feeding and type 1 than caesarian I would have thought.

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
My mum showd me this article, and said she felt "very guilty" now. How mean.

Out of interest i was bottle fed, as i was 9 weeks early.

I pointed out that anything you do will give you diabetes according to some people and she needs to stop worrying.

layla42

Tut. My DD was a "natural" birth and breastfed for 11 months but still diagnosed with Type 1 at 3 years 2 months old. Sigh. Layla x

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
same here, natural birth and breast fed... still got type 1! only at age 22...

only last week it seems they were blaming sugary drinks!! now it's unnatural births... the two couldn't be further apart !! lol

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
T1 is pretty much understood to be a combination of Genes and an event, possibly a virus. there's a genetic component in T2 also. I have it and so did my gandmother. My aunt died of a stroke at 68 and I'll bet there was undiagnosed T2 there. She was a disinctly overweight apple shape. My mum seemed to have escaped, but recently was found to have slightly elevated Bgs. she's turned 90 though.
My husband is some kind of T1, diagnosed in his late 20s. His grandmother was a diabetic also, but I don't know which sort. Grandfather was a pharmacist in Ayrshire and although grandma had the district nurse come give her her insulin every morning, she wouldn't eat any carbs. Remembering the pre-insulin treatment, she just refused to eat them . Family lore has it she starved herself to death. ( she died while we were at university, before I married her eldest grandson.) None of her 6 daughters was ever diagnosed diabetic, but 2 died as children. We are now 5 generations from Grandma, so we'll see if it's come down any further. My own daughter is safe, because as she says"we're not biological" She came to us at 6 weeks old.

Fallenover

Firstly, my daughter was born by c-section and now at 2 years old, she has not developed diabetes. And she was tested when she was born. Secondly she breast fed very well, il only managed 4 weeks, as i developed infections in both breasts. But she wasn't a problem. i think it comes down to each baby and whether they breast feed well, or prefer bottles. I think that a lot of type 1 diabetic mothers are having C-sections due to having larger babies (mine was 8.8 1/2 lb and only being a size 6 and being 5ft tall was a bit too difficult to push out) so maybe the higher rate of children being born from C-section with type 1 is actually the mothers having the C-section also being type 1! so its probably down to genetics rather then the C-section.
And its completely true, everything now causes diabetes, i heard one nurse say that she had heard that being an overly active child is now connexed with type 1!! which is absolutly absered!
xRachaelx