Insulin out of the fridge

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Sorry @SueJB .... just not true. Take that to the bank from a tarmac load controlling manager that has considerable experience with a LOT of aircraft :)
Thanks @Mike D and @Antje77 for the correction. Just repeating what I'd been told/read to keep all insulin on me and not to put it in the hold. I'll still continue to do that despite your reassurance

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Thanks @Mike D and @Antje77 for the correction. Just repeating what I'd been told/read to keep all insulin on me and not to put it in the hold. I'll still continue to do that despite your reassurance

No worries @SueJB ... but you happen to be right. You should keep it with you in the cabin. You'd be surprised how many forget where items are (on their person or in their carry on) and end up in the hold.

Lost luggage and you're in deep trouble if you didn't pack the personal necessities and I'm not just referring to insulin. I could relate some factual stories, believe me

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Whilst the temperature issue may not be as severe as I'd been told before, I don't think it's the only reason for keeping life saving med's in your carry on luggage. I know that massive improvements have been made with international baggage tracking over the last 10 years or so, but a fair few pieces still get damaged, lost or stolen every year.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

So I am on my first international holiday and I left my insulin in my suitcase for about 48 hours. I honestly forgot about it. I’m wondering if it’s still ok to use/ how will I know?
Do I need to purchase some here?
Any advice please.

48 hours should be fine as long as your suitcase hasn't been lying in a patch of sun :) just pop it in the fridge ASAP!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I personally keep all insulin with me in hand luggage, regardless of the temperature in the hold, it's the fact it could easily be lost as well as the bags getting thrown around by careless baggage handlers, i'd rather not stress about losing my insulin when travelling abroad, I also travel with a frio wallet to keep my insulin in too, so it's kept cool and insulated.

Reactions: karen8967

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

So I am on my first international holiday and I left my insulin in my suitcase for about 48 hours. I honestly forgot about it. I’m wondering if it’s still ok to use/ how will I know?
Do I need to purchase some here?
Any advice please.

What I'd be worried about is your insulin being in a suitcase in the hold of the aircraft which can get very cold and that could damage your insulin. I travel a lot but use Frio wallets to keep my insulin in, in my carry on bag. Frio's just need a soak in cold water and they'll keep your insulin safe for days, depending on the outside temp. I've been in 42C and the Frio's kept the insulin cool. maybe next time? Good luck, hope your insulin does work but check out options for getting more just in case.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have never used Frigo pacs before and have been away for 4 week's insulin always been okay, but I am going away for 5 weeks in January traveling around Myanmar so I may invest in couble of frigo packs and yes I always keep all my medicines which is a lot in my hand luggage, just in case, especially when you have to carry a spare insulin pump +all the senser,s captors etc