Confusion about coconut oil

cmatanie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I am 65 (male), I have T2 since 2012, fatty liver, high blood pressure, high cholesterol.
After a few years of research & experiences, I concluded to try a low carb/keto life style approach.
It seems to be better. In order to help to enter and keep stay in ketosis, I have read that coconut oil would be very useful. But, in the same time, I read on many sites that coconut oil is very bad for fatty liver (being saturated fat).
So, I don't know what to do: take or not coconut oil ?
I will be very grateful for any advise/ opinion/ similar experience.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturated fat has no known association with NAFLD so far as I am aware .
It's mostly down to the fructose in fruit and a carb heavy diet.

Personally I just eat fatty foods (mainly meat these days) and don't supplement with coconut oil but do add double cream to coffee.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I am 65 (male), I have T2 since 2012, fatty liver, high blood pressure, high cholesterol.
After a few years of research & experiences, I concluded to try a low carb/keto life style approach.
It seems to be better. In order to help to enter and keep stay in ketosis, I have read that coconut oil would be very useful. But, in the same time, I read on many sites that coconut oil is very bad for fatty liver (being saturated fat).
So, I don't know what to do: take or not coconut oil ?
I will be very grateful for any advise/ opinion/ similar experience.
"Coconut oil is high in healthy saturated fats that have different effects than most other fats in your diet.

These fats can boost fat burning and provide your body and brain with quick energy. They also raise the good HDL cholesterol in your blood, which is linked to reduced heart disease risk.

Most fats in the diet are called long-chain triglycerides, but the fats in coconut oil are known as medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). What this means is that the fatty acids are shorter than most other fats.

When you eat these types of fats, they go straight to the liver, where they are used as a quick source of energy or turned into ketones.

Ketones can have powerful benefits for the brain, and are being studied as treatment for epilepsy, Alzheimer’s and other conditions."
Source: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil#section1

As for personal experience: Going low carb fixed my non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and it was REALLY bad when I started out. Endo said there was nothing I could do about it and he'd see me again when it turned to cirrhosis. Sure proved him wrong! I have a large tub of the stuff and I am just about to get up and make myself some bulletproof triple espresso. ;) If you like it, use it.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturated fat has no known association with NAFLD so far as I am aware .
It's mostly down to the fructose in fruit and a carb heavy diet.

Personally I just eat fatty foods (mainly meat these days) and don't supplement with coconut oil but do add double cream to coffee.

When farms want to force fatty liver on geese to make foie gras, they over feed them on corn and other carbs. There is now so much evidence that sat fat does not cause the CV diseases or liver problems so long associated with it that it is starting to look negligent of health organisations to continue with the nonsense.

Traditional societies in places where they had/have to rely exclusively on fat and meat have not been known to have fatty livers or cv disease. It is only when those diets change to include refined carbs and heavily omega 6 biased vegetable oils (along with alcohol and other developed-world indulgences) that these diseases appear. In this paragraph I paraphrase Jason Fung, any mistakes are mine.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

cmatanie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank all of you very, very ...much !
I forgot to mention I do intermittent fasting ( 16/8 ).
I guess I will try coconut oil with 1 tsp daily.
Great forum, great people !
I wish you all the best !

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A recent review says, "High consumption of CHO, simple sugars, saturated fats, trans fat, animal protein (red meat), and processed food, and a low fiber intake are associated with NAFLD development." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6470750/

In terms of the SAD (standard awful diet) they're probably correct.. however in the absence of CHO, simple sugars and trans fats I'm guessing the answer would be very different..but of course your study won't show that..