Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and water consumption

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
For reference see, for example
https://renal.org/information-resources/the-uk-eckd-guide/ckd-stages/
and
https://kidneyresearchuk.org/kidney-health-information/stages-of-kidney-disease/

I was previously tested with an eGFR of 55 which puts me in Stage 3(a).

This time, before my test, I made a point of increasing my water consumption for a couple of days prior to the test.
I acknowledge that I don't usually drink enough water (as I understand it urine should be a pale straw colour, whatever pale straw looks like).
My urine is usually much darker for most of the day.
The test result this time was an eGFR of 72 which is in the middle of the Stage 2 range and not formally considered to be classified as CKD.
Minimal risk of progressing to kidney disease.

Noting also the various qualifiers about assumptions of muscle mass and average weight.
I assume a high(ish) protein diet might increase the creatinine level in the blood as well.

Anyway, if you want to have one less chronic disease on your score sheet, drink water by the litre before your test!

I don't think this classes as cheating.

Reactions: hankjam

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I wish it was that easy ;)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For reference see, for example
https://renal.org/information-resources/the-uk-eckd-guide/ckd-stages/
and
https://kidneyresearchuk.org/kidney-health-information/stages-of-kidney-disease/

I was previously tested with an eGFR of 55 which puts me in Stage 3(a).

This time, before my test, I made a point of increasing my water consumption for a couple of days prior to the test.
I acknowledge that I don't usually drink enough water (as I understand it urine should be a pale straw colour, whatever pale straw looks like).
My urine is usually much darker for most of the day.
The test result this time was an eGFR of 72 which is in the middle of the Stage 2 range and not formally considered to be classified as CKD.
Minimal risk of progressing to kidney disease.

Noting also the various qualifiers about assumptions of muscle mass and average weight.
I assume a high(ish) protein diet might increase the creatinine level in the blood as well.

Anyway, if you want to have one less chronic disease on your score sheet, drink water by the litre before your test!

I don't think this classes as cheating.

This is wonderful news, @LittleGreyCat. I am sure you're relieved. It is surprising though how sensitive this test is to dehydration -- didn't really know this.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So are you going to keep drinking that much?
I ask because if your theory is correct, and you lapse back to not drinking enough, then you take yourself straight back into your lower eGFR...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
So are you going to keep drinking that much?
I ask because if your theory is correct, and you lapse back to not drinking enough, then you take yourself straight back into your lower eGFR...

I have a slightly different take on it.

It seems that my kidneys are still able to clear my blood stream if I give them enough throughput of water to work with.

So I think that the test was a red herring, in that just upping my water intake seemed to make a big difference to the results. This suggests that my kidneys are still working OK.

I did find it hard to drink all that water because I usually drink when I'm thirsty and stop when I am not.
It usually takes me about an hour to get through a pint of water (or beer).

So yes, I am aware that drinking more can improve my eGFR result but not totally convinced that this means that I need to be awash with water every day.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a slightly different take on it.

It seems that my kidneys are still able to clear my blood stream if I give them enough throughput of water to work with.

So I think that the test was a red herring, in that just upping my water intake seemed to make a big difference to the results. This suggests that my kidneys are still working OK.

I did find it hard to drink all that water because I usually drink when I'm thirsty and stop when I am not.
It usually takes me about an hour to get through a pint of water (or beer).

So yes, I am aware that drinking more can improve my eGFR result but not totally convinced that this means that I need to be awash with water every day.

My Consultant says the egfr can fluctuate a lot (as usual eh?), and that any result for it (other than extremely low) is looked at in conjunction with a barrage of other kidney/liver tests. He said if it's 60 or more it's normal (unless some associated test shows otherwise) and it's almost impossible to give an accurate number anyway so a '60' could be anything between 60 and 100!!, (unless accompanied by some other negative marker) and even if it's below 60 it 'all depends'. Clear as mud.