Type 2 Glucose Monitors

jaymesma

I have been a lurking member for 5 years and have not seen this discussed. Its about glucose monitors. I am a type 2 and not on insulin so do not have a monitor. I am able to buy on but do not know if I will be able to get the strips. To be honest I do not want to test for the rest of my life but maybe 3 to 6 months to get an idea of how different foods affect me. Is anyone aware of being able to rent them for a period of time? If this has been discussed I have missed the conversation. Thanks in advance for your comments.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They can be around a tenner so not expensive. The strips are your running costs. I got my Tee2, phoned them up, asked for 200 strips and they threw the meter in for free.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been a lurking member for 5 years and have not seen this discussed. Its about glucose monitors. I am a type 2 and not on insulin so do not have a monitor. I am able to buy on but do not know if I will be able to get the strips. To be honest I do not want to test for the rest of my life but maybe 3 to 6 months to get an idea of how different foods affect me. Is anyone aware of being able to rent them for a period of time? If this has been discussed I have missed the conversation. Thanks in advance for your comments.

a said they are pretty inexpensive (more so when you consider the possible cost if you just let things slide )
the running cost are the strips.
@Rachox , had a pretty good post reply re meters and who, what , where.

Good idea testing, i think that is how many take it on,
test for a period just to get the information that otherwise might be missing of what it is that specifically affect US. as individuals..

All very well others saying X is good or bad..but many can eat what i can't with little or less reaction, and vise versa of course...so i want to know what X does to ME.

I would however say keep the FBG in the morning going
that to me helps me catch the small trend upwards that i might just miss, and then take action to bring it back down.

Tl;Dr..
Meters..always a good idea.
you could buy a car without a speedo and Guess the speeds,... fine until you have to pay the penalty charge.
same thing.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went online to Spirit healthcare, signed up, waited for the confirmatory email, then ordered a test kit with Tee2 meter and three pots of strips, a box of lancets and some checking fluids - under £40 and the VAT was removed due to being diabetic.
The 160 strips will last some time, and I can always order more on line if I need them.

Reactions: jjraak

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
If your on insulin you should have one supplied by your drs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @jjraak !
Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I can't imagine not having a meter. The information it gives me is invaluable and also keeps my motivation high. The meters themselves are often not too expensive. The strips can be the real cost but for me the real cost is the damage to my body of high blood sugar levels.

Good luck with getting one and seeing how your body reacts to different foods.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable.
I am currently using the Codefree, with TEE2 for backup when I really don't like the reading I get. It is a long time since they have disagreed significantly. In the past I have seen a lot of discrepancies between the two meters, but not now. Perhaps we can hope the strips have become more reliable. I suspect it was a strip problem rather than a meter problem.

Reactions: jjraak and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am currently using the Codefree, with TEE2 for backup when I really don't like the reading I get. It is a long time since they have disagreed significantly. In the past I have seen a lot of discrepancies between the two meters, but not now. Perhaps we can hope the strips have become more reliable. I suspect it was a strip problem rather than a meter problem.
That’s good to know as I still have my Code Free as a backup meter.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also download the mySugr app to your phone. Record the food you eat, including portion size, and the readings before first bite and two hours after. It will help you keep an eye on things and after a few days will give you an estimated HbA1c reading. I found this highly motivational when I first started. Turn off the annoying monster sounds in settings.

The app is free, I pay premium because I am still so grateful for the help it gave me.

Reactions: jjraak