Hello......We may be seeing more of eachother

Stevo77

Evening folks, I'm Steven and I'm 34. I'm hellishly overweight but have always been very active (golf/football etc). It appears that whilst being run down due to work stress a simple spot developed into an infected haematoma. I was admitted to hospital overnight for treatment and have a cellulitis infection that is currently been treated with antibiotics. Anyhow, as soon as he saw me the Dr arranged for a fasting blood test next Thursday as he thinks/assumes that I have diabetes because of the wound. In the past when I have not eaten for a while I've felt weakened and shaky and then once a sandwich and flapjack or such like had been eaten, I've felt fine.
Now the impending test has me worried and my mind in a mess. I've never really been a sickly person, with visits to the Dr reserved for chest infections etc and the overnight stay in hospital was my first.
Before I was admitted to hospital, a triage nurse measured my blood sugar with a thumb prick and strip and it was 10.1. This was about an hour after a bowl of blueberry shredded wheat and a panicked drive to A & E.
Does this sound like a familiar story or a unique mess?
Any help would ease a worried mind.

barleymo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would just say to you that things are now being looked into and if there is a problem it can be dealt with, if you are diabetic it's not the end of the world and you will get loads of help. I hope you can relax a bit and wait and see - we've all been there. Your blood sugar seems high to me but mine have been much higher so don't panic but post your results when you get them. Good luck.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Stevo

At my local phlebotomy centre (blood tests are not done at the GP surgery) it takes about a week for the results to get to the GP. At others, it may differ from that. Ask the phlebotomist or the nurse who takes your blood and they should be able to give you an idea. Alternatively, ring your GP surgery and ask them.

Hope you get a non-diabetic result but the alternative is not the end of the world. Looking forward to your results post.

Regards

Doug

barleymo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I suppose it depends on your area but I can get mine the same day, hospital computer linked to GP and they can access results immediately. However I find I have to ask for them because unless they are really bad they think it's fun to make you wait. Don't be afraid to ask.

Stevo77

Well fasted from 7 last night and turned up early for my 8:30 blood test to be told at 9:30 that the phlebotomist hadn't shown and cannot be contacted.....good to see my nerves and worry weren't wasted eh......next Wednesday it is :0/

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thats bad, they could have given you the forms to go to your nearest hospital to get them done and you would have had the results by next wed,
good luck Steven hope all goes well for you,.
Sue x