Arggghhh

RoseShiel

So, I tried a cleaning job, 2 and half hours a day 6 days a week, it was good hours, however the management were rubbish, the expectations were so high and the amount I had to clean in them 2 and half hours just wasnt doable for a non diabetic, let alone someone with type 1 diabetes heart problem and coeliac disease. I had one day off sick as my sugars and ketones were on the rise and they wanted proof I was sick as they didnt believe me I was ill and I told them before I started all my problems. So I found that very rude and disrespectful. I went in when I was sick and told them I wasnt well yet they still left me to it and didnt ask me once If I was okay so this made me feel uneasy of course.
At the moment I just find the balance to find the right job without being very poorly, I dont no what to do. I'm not entitled to any help as I can do everything for myself. I'm so frustrated and getting back into my depressive state of mind and that was not a nice place to be.
Do any of you have this problem with work? Not being entitled to any help and just dont no what to do?
Sorry for the long essay and the moaning but it's only you guys that get how I'm feeling xx

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So, I tried a cleaning job, 2 and half hours a day 6 days a week, it was good hours, however the management were rubbish, the expectations were so high and the amount I had to clean in them 2 and half hours just wasnt doable for a non diabetic, let alone someone with type 1 diabetes heart problem and coeliac disease. I had one day off sick as my sugars and ketones were on the rise and they wanted proof I was sick as they didnt believe me I was ill and I told them before I started all my problems. So I found that very rude and disrespectful. I went in when I was sick and told them I wasnt well yet they still left me to it and didnt ask me once If I was okay so this made me feel uneasy of course.
At the moment I just find the balance to find the right job without being very poorly, I dont no what to do. I'm not entitled to any help as I can do everything for myself. I'm so frustrated and getting back into my depressive state of mind and that was not a nice place to be.
Do any of you have this problem with work? Not being entitled to any help and just dont no what to do?
Sorry for the long essay and the moaning but it's only you guys that get how I'm feeling xx
Hello. Sorry to hear you have been having a tough time at work.
I am type 1 and my employers are great if I do need time off work. On the other hand I have no expectation that I will need extra time off to be diabetic (not coeliac or with heart problem so not sure what that entails).
I find that they are reasonable if I don't take frequent days off and pull my weight etc. Not saying you don't and sounds as if they are bad managers because they have unrealistic expectations of their cleaners regardless of heath status as you say. Sadly I can't expect them to understand how tired and ill type 1 can make you feel and do not want to waste my time trying!
If it was only 1 day off then you can self certify but more than 7 days consecutive would require a sick note.
It sounds as if you like the hours but don't like the management's attitude and perhaps want time out but mainly a bit of support? Do you have that from anyone around you? It is a shame that your management aren't sympathetic but they don't have a legal responsibility to be.
I hope your depressive feelings dont develop but if they did I assume you'd be entitled to some kind of sickness benefit? However feeling like this probably would not be helped by being out of work so I would be careful about taking that option.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Oh no! It's so frustrating when employers don't get that while we do get on with our everyday life, we do have underlying conditions that have to take priority over everything else.
I had a similar kind of situation, not quite as harsh though. I worked weekends a while ago in a cafe, for some extra money while i was an apprentice in my main job. I was doing a trial run on the Libre and felt a bit low, so while behind the counter (there were no customers as we were closing in 10) i scanned the Libre, confirming i was low. The cafe manager came in while i was doing this, before telling me not do it while working out front as it might make the customers nervous. I was a bank support worker in a cafe aimed at providing employment for people with special needs, and she thought me scanning my arm through my jumper (no blood, needles or insulin involved) would make them nervous?
Safe to say i quit.
With all the "diversity and inclusion" that's going around in companies you'd think they'd be able to accept genuine medical conditions as a valid reason to be feeling a bit off. Totally understand your moaning!

RoseShiel

Hello. Sorry to hear you have been having a tough time at work.
I am type 1 and my employers are great if I do need time off work. On the other hand I have no expectation that I will need extra time off to be diabetic (not coeliac or with heart problem so not sure what that entails).
I find that they are reasonable if I don't take frequent days off and pull my weight etc. Not saying you don't and sounds as if they are bad managers because they have unrealistic expectations of their cleaners regardless of heath status as you say. Sadly I can't expect them to understand how tired and ill type 1 can make you feel and do not want to waste my time trying!
If it was only 1 day off then you can self certify but more than 7 days consecutive would require a sick note.
It sounds as if you like the hours but don't like the management's attitude and perhaps want time out but mainly a bit of support? Do you have that from anyone around you? It is a shame that your management aren't sympathetic but they don't have a legal responsibility to be.
I hope your depressive feelings dont develop but if they did I assume you'd be entitled to some kind of sickness benefit? However feeling like this probably would not be helped by being out of work so I would be careful about taking that option.
I would of stuck it out if they werent so rude and what they expected me to do in just 2 and half hours. Was a joke. The heart is cardiomyopathy I had surgery 2 years ago and may need it in the foreseeable future. The symptoms are so similar to t1 I dont actually no which one it is playing me up sometimes my heart medication masks out my hypos too so can be dangerous. I'd go out of my mind not working. Dr has ordered 16 hours only no more as my body just cant deal with it like it used to. Just hard sometimes. I feel in the depressive state but I dont think I'll let myself get back there. I cant I'm trying to go forward not back but just difficult. Not entitled to any sickness benefits I've tried even when I was in a very bad way they wouldnt help.

(edited by mod for language)

Last edited by a moderator:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's bad luck and I hope you find something better and can survive in the meantime? Could you volunteer meantime? They will always be grateful (and flexible!) for your hard work.

Reactions: RoseShiel

RoseShiel

That's bad luck and I hope you find something better and can survive in the meantime? Could you volunteer meantime? They will always be grateful (and flexible!) for your hard work.
The struggle is real, luckily my partner is very supportive and keeping us afloat but I hate having to rely on him cause of being so independent. I've got a few interviews this week so gonna see how they go and then take it from there