Daily Star Article...

kleigh88

Has anybody else read the daily Star Article about a diabetic lady called Pam who's dog saved her while she was asleep?? If not, please give it a read as I am so angry that the paper have written and published an article that is factually incorrect. I have actually just emailed the paper to complain and would hope many of you on here would too after reading it! It is diabetes awareness month and world diabetes day on Thursday and we need to be a voice for all diabetics out there.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anybody else read the daily Star Article about a diabetic lady called Pam who's dog saved her while she was asleep?? If not, please give it a read as I am so angry that the paper have written and published an article that is factually incorrect. I have actually just emailed the paper to complain and would hope many of you on here would too after reading it! It is diabetes awareness month and world diabetes day on Thursday and we need to be a voice for all diabetics out there.
Do you have a link to the article?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hmm, all would have been OK if they hadn't mentioned the words "ketones".

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hypo-alert-dogs.html

A vet has told Pam that the faithful hound would have been able to smell ketones – a harmful substance created when the body does not get enough glucose.

Just take out that one word and replace it by what the dog does smell - stress hormones???

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Could I suggest to moderators that this is moved to Diabetes discussion thread? There is no mention of T1 and to be honest the reporting is dubious to say the very least without being rude.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It is the Daily Star, that say's it all :rolleyes::banghead:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I suggest to moderators that this is moved to Diabetes discussion thread? There is no mention of T1 and to be honest the reporting is dubious to say the very least without being rude.

The OP from historical postings, is T1. There should be validity & credit to where the topic was originally chosen to post. ;)

Hmm, all would have been OK if they hadn't mentioned the words "ketones".

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hypo-alert-dogs.html

A vet has told Pam that the faithful hound would have been able to smell ketones – a harmful substance created when the body does not get enough glucose.

Just take out that one word and replace it by what the dog does smell - stress hormones???

If would have thought, dogs smell the sweat & sense the out of charator confusion like behaviour in the owner?
My dog (though no hypo alert hound apart from knowing food could get dropped on the floor.) watches me like a hawk. Anything bigger than a coat going out the door & he thinks I'm taking off & leaving him behind... Trash bags are exempt... ;)

Reactions: Marie 2

kleigh88

I would just like to say that I haven't used this forum alot so wasn't sure how to even post a comment to begin with so for it to end up in the type 1 discussion thread is a miracle in itself also the article is extremely contradictive, firstly it tells the story of the lady having ketones and needing a chocolate bar which makes no sense and then later in the article it changed to a hypo, that's where the confusion lies and it's such a basic thing.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just like to say that I haven't used this forum alot so wasn't sure how to even post a comment to begin with so for it to end up in the type 1 discussion thread is a miracle in itself also the article is extremely contradictive, firstly it tells the story of the lady having ketones and needing a chocolate bar which makes no sense and then later in the article it changed to a hypo, that's where the confusion lies and it's such a basic thing.
Hi,

Don't worry about the topic placment.

Gosh, I've had someone at work think a pump would "do it all" for me? Then confuses the concept with a Freestyle Libre. Again this flash monitoring device will not do my washing up.. :p

kleigh88

It truly amazes me the comments that people come out with when it comes to diabetes. I struggle to talk to my family about it because in the past they have said 'so if you have a hypo we give you insulin' erm....I'd rather not be killed thank you ! Hahaha.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It truly amazes me the comments that people come out with when it comes to diabetes. I struggle to talk to my family about it because in the past they have said 'so if you have a hypo we give you insulin' erm....I'd rather not be killed thank you ! Hahaha.

Yep, a common misconception along with sugar being our "Kryptonite." Google "superman" if unsure of the "pop culture reference.?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My comment on the page:

"Yeah, that's.... Not how diabetes type 1 works. You have diabetic ketoacidosis, when ketones would kill, yes, but that doesn't happen with low blood sugars. Acidosis kills when bloodsugars are high. When someone's hypo, their blood sugars are low, and no ketones are released. Hypo's can kill too, so yay for the dog, excellent work, and yes, animals can tell when someone's hypo... But this paper, especially in Diabetes Awareness Month, should check their facts before throwing some nonsense out into the world. There's so much of that going around already, you should take some responsibility here."

mouseee

My comment on the page:

"Yeah, that's.... Not how diabetes type 1 works. You have diabetic ketoacidosis, when ketones would kill, yes, but that doesn't happen with low blood sugars. Acidosis kills when bloodsugars are high. When someone's hypo, their blood sugars are low, and no ketones are released. Hypo's can kill too, so yay for the dog, excellent work, and yes, animals can tell when someone's hypo... But this paper, especially in Diabetes Awareness Month, should check their facts before throwing some nonsense out into the world. There's so much of that going around already, you should take some responsibility here."
Literally love your comment Jo!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure a chocolate bar would be my go to choice to be honest. That might take forever.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My comment on the page:

Ah Jo, that was YOU? Fabulous!!!!!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was watching an episode of Frankie Drake mysteries yesterday (I know, I know) and they had a type 1 diabetic who'd been found in a coma (poor bloke had been in one for nearly a week apparently), and wowee, one small shot of insulin and he came round in 2 seconds and was fine. So many misrepresentations. x