Nerve Pain

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I had both legs amputated back in '79 due to an RTA. I am now starting to experience a nerve pain on the top of my right leglet (Stump). It mainly happens at night, but becoming evident during the day now. It's a burning sensation that wakes me and the area is numb.

Are there any other amputee's here that have a similar experience? I am hoping it is not diabetes connected, anyone offer up something?

Thanks.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sorry I can't really help but my step father used to get the phantom pains a lot but I guess that's not what you're talking about.
He was not diabetic.

And he never mentioned directly what you describe but did I know get the odd pains in the stump he lost the lower part of his right leg from the knee down when he stepped on a mine in WWII.

Reactions: DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
step father used to get the phantom pains a lot but I guess that's not what you're talking about.

Thanks for the reply. I have phantom pain, always have, 40 blooming years of it, drives you mad. But this is new and different. Thanks again.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had both legs amputated back in '79 due to an RTA. I am now starting to experience a nerve pain on the top of my right leglet (Stump). It mainly happens at night, but becoming evident during the day now. It's a burning sensation that wakes me and the area is numb.

Are there any other amputee's here that have a similar experience? I am hoping it is not diabetes connected, anyone offer up something?

Thanks.
Numbness and a burning sensation'd usually ring some diabetic neuropathy bells, but you usually get those in extremities. (Feet for instance, which aren't present in your case. I do think the 'nub' would count as a foot in this instance though). What is your HbA1c like, any idea?

This might help. Worth a shot, maybe. But if it's really getting to you, you might want to see the doc... They perscribe amitriptyline sometimes to fix it too, IF neuropathy is the problem.

Good luck!
Jo

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Any history of sciatica? This can also cause symptoms of numbness, burning, tingling and pain.

Worth a trip to the Doc, imo.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Thanks for the input. I have tried many a drug for nerve pain over the years, none have been particularly successful. I will keep an eye on.

Out of interest, a few years back, I went to the Diabetic clinic, and without looking up the consultant asked 'How are your eyes, how are your feet?'. I replied, it would seem my eyes are better than yours. I didn't go back.