viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Re: Viv's Modified Atkin's Diet

Hi Ailz

Glad you like it! It certainly suits me, and I feel so well on it that it's no hardship to stick to it - apart from the dreaded red wine, of course ! :wink: :oops:

Viv 8)

Reactions: 2 people

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Bumped for Ladybird64 to read.

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Bump.

Read the thread, or at the very least the first page of posts - some very good advice about low-carbing.

Viv 8)

Kazzabon

Hi Viv
Great post -thanks.

One thing I'm confused at is the use of yoghurt - Atkins doesn't include it in his diet, is it one of those grey areas? It would help my breakfasts if I could include them. I'm assuming that they must be full fat.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

The yoghurt is one of my modifications. 'Live' yoghurt is supposedly full of the 'right' bacteria for the gut. I find it helps with constipation, and is a good 'carrier' for things like flax seeds. I use full-fat plain Greek-type yoghurt, organic if possible, preferably sheep or goat if I can get it.

Plain live yoghurt has about 6g of carb per 100g, so if you're sticking rigidly to the '20g of carb per day', which is the weight-loss Induction phase, you obviously have to limit it. If you're going for blood glucose control and allowing yourself a few more carbs, it can easily be worked in - many people have it for breakfast with (eg) berries and pumpkin seeds.

Low-fat and any form of commercial fruit-flavoured yoghurts are definitely out, though. They are usually full of sugar. And, as with anything - read the label. You're looking for 'total carbohydrate', not just 'sugar'.

Viv 8)

Kazzabon

Thanks Viv - I'll add them after a couple of weeks then as I'm defo in the wanting to lose weight phase!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Good luck with it, and let us know how you go on! Don't forget - you need never be hungry, so keep things like cold chicken, hard-boiled eggs etc in the fridge for emergencies. I used to weigh out my salad into a plastic box in the morning, so I could go at celery strips, pepper strips, baby toms, during the day. If necessary eat 5 times a day rather than 3.

The first time I did it my BMI was about 43, and I lost 14lb in the first 2 weeks. I had no problems with the headaches that some people get, and I found myself with so much energy, and feeling so well! Make sure you drink that 2 litres of water - I used to fill a 2-litre jug first thing in the morning and make sure it was empty by bedtime.

You have nothing to lose but the pounds! (or kilos :lol: )

Viv 8)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Viv I have only just read your diet because I am a skinny needing to put on weight I thought it didnt apply to me but I found it very interesting. The low carb high fat is what I follow but I need as many cals as possible so I would like to ask a few questions .Do you limit avocado because of the calorie content ? .I am asuming the limiting of booze is for the same reason (I love my red wine).Thanks for the posts glad you didnt leave us :D
CAROL

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Thanks, Carol!

Yes, avocado is limited because of the calories. The actual reason for limiting red wine is that (according to Atkins) the body comes out of ketosis and runs on alcohol for a few days, so you don't lose weight.

I can testify, after the first 3 months of this year, that regular drinking stops me losing weight on this diet! Far be it from me to encourage you to drink red wine :wink: but if you want to go very low carb but not lose weight, keep drinking! and eat more avocados :lol: Don't forget to count the red wine carbs.

Viv 8)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks Viv I have just finished my raspberries (fresh from the garden) with lots of cream(Jersey double) and I am enjoying a lovely glass of shiraz .
CAROL

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

It's a hard life! :D

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Bumped for Mervyn to read :D

Viv 8)

Grazer

carty said:
Thanks Viv I have just finished my raspberries (fresh from the garden) with lots of cream(Jersey double) and I am enjoying a lovely glass of shiraz .
CAROL[Don't worry about the carbs in red wine. There are hardly any. The more distilled (stronger) alcohol is, the less carbs as the sugar turns to alcohol. That's why spirits like whisky have zero carbs. And besides, alcohol interferes with the bodies ability to turn carbs into sugar, which is why diabetics on meds have to be wary of going hypo mwith too much alcohol! All my best bg readings come after a skinful of rioja! And it doesn't come back to haunt you with high sugars later. MALC]

Kazzabon

Hi Viv
Just a status report - first 4 days I lost 2kgs! A week on and it's come to a halt :( I've been really good too so am a bit disheartend.

My normal day is:

Breakfast: pot of fromage frais with 4 tsp wheatgerm
Lunch: egg 'tortilla' (ie flat omelette) wrapped with smoked salmon, rocket and creme fraiche
Dinner: Meat and small salad followed by piece of cheese.

I drink tea and decaff coffee with cream, and about 1 1/2 litres of water..............

However, I've managed to cut my insulin from TDD of around 45 to around 25....so surely my blubber will shift? I have around 10kilos left to lose.

Any ideas??

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Kazzabon, the less you have to lose, the longer it will take! It's only fatties like me that can drop 14lb in the first fortnight - down from 20 stone to 19 stone!

Don't be disheartened - 2kg in the first 4 days is good going :p . Now, put your scales away until the 7th day after you started, and after that only weigh once a week. Don't focus on the weight loss - focus on your blood glucose readings and your insulin. The weight will go, I promise :D - just keep at it.

Your food sounds okay to me - you can probably increase your salad and veg a bit if you want. The main thing is - are you enjoying what you're eating?

For about 3 weeks I haven't lost an ounce - then all of a sudden I dropped 3lbs. That might happen to you too. Your body's probably adjusting - a slower weight loss might be best for you.

Viv 8)

Kazzabon

:) patience isn't a virtue I have I'm afraid. I have now been on the regime 10 days and am still hanging at the 2kgs loss that happened after 4 days ( mind you the constipation may be a factor :oops: ). As for am I enjoying it, well it's difficult as it's holiday time here and there are loads of feasts in the local villages and I do live in the country of bread and wine :?

The weight I'm at now is where I always seem to get to then nada so perhaps my body is remembering this weight as I usually give up at this point in disgust that I am doing everything right and still not losing! So, I'll take your advice and carry on as I'm sure my clothes are feeling more comfortable. Thanks for the support. K

Lorrie

Hi Viv

Just starting this diet, and noticed what yu said about milk, I have looked at soya milk which seems to have lees carbs and sugar than dairy, is this a good alternative, also which pulses if any are better than others

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
In the Induction Phase, no pulses. I don't eat them myself, except very rarely, so the only advice I can give you is to get hold of a carb counter book and work out which ones are lowest carb.

I'm sure someone else will be able to help you with this.

As for soya milk - again, I don't use it, but it is less carb than dairy, so should be okay.

Good luck! :D

Viv 8)

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
I'm 5 days into a Very Low Carb/Cal diet using Avidlite meal replacements. I've replaced breakfast with a milkshake and lunch with a soup, and eat an evening meal of meat and low carb veg. No snacks. No major hunger issues so far, although I DO miss snacks!

I'm also continuing with my exercise regime of 3 times a week Zumba and Salsa (no problems so far).

I have already lost 2 kg, so 18kg to go.