Viv's Modified Atkins Diet

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
Just noticed the discussion on Yogurt. Try 'Total 0%' yogurt. It's the only one I've found that is low fat AND low sugar (4g sugar per 100gm).

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
If you're eating a very low carb diet, Benniesmum, you shouldn't avoid fat - unless you are aiming for a very low calorie intake as well, which 'my' diet isn't designed for. I use full-fat Greek yoghurt when I eat it - which isn't often 'cos dairy has carbs too, but it's very good for your gut flora.

I'm not suggesting you force-feed yourself fat - some people just don't get on with it - but don't try to aim for a fat-free diet, your system needs some fat.

Viv 8)

Canderel

In Reply to:
by cugila » January 13th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Here in the UK we use TOTAL carbs when reading labels NOT net carbs. If you use net carbs then you are seriously underestimating the number of carbs you are consuming.......... We don't use the US system here.

Kellogs All Bran..........48g carbs per 100g...........therefore a 40g portion is 19.2g carbs.
Kellogs Bran Flakes......67g carbs per 100g...........therefore a 30g portion is 20.1g carbs.

So if you are tempted to try ANY foods.....always use TOTAL carbs. Saves some heartache and high Bg levels later.

Sorry for being so daft but how did u work this out? Its sumthing i cant get my head round wishing i stuk in at maths at skool :p

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You find out the % of carbs per gram, then multiply that by the serving size:

Kellogs All Bran..........48g carbs per 100g...........therefore a 40g portion is 19.2g carbs.

= 48g divided by 100g = 0.48 grams of carbs per gram of food
= 0.48g multiplied by 40g (Portion size)
= 19.2g carbs per 40g portion

Kellogs Bran Flakes......67g carbs per 100g...........therefore a 30g portion is 20.1g carbs.
= 67g divided by 100g = 0.67 grams of carbs per gram of food
= 0.67g multiplied by 30g (Portion size)
= 20.1g carbs per 30g portion

Hoep this helps!

Grazer

BarbaraMc said:
I would just like to ask whereabouts beetroot fits in the scale of high carb, I know it is high fibre
Beetroot is 8.8 grams of carbs per 100grams weight, compared to potatos 20 - 30, new potatos 16'ish
Beetroot is slightly better than carrots. All are much better than parsnips! (one site shows parsnips as 23g per 100)

carefixer

I lost eight and a half stones on my diet! Extremely effective and it involved increasing my calory intake as well. In fact it was so effective I've had to go on a binge to try and put on weight recently as my waist had got down to 28" which is rather too tiny for a six foot man. I'm back up to 31 now with the help of some extra beer rations. While the weight loss and blood sugar reductions are unrelated in my case I am now down to single figures in mmol/l without medication when a few years ago I had glucose levels in excess of 35mmol/l when taking enough insulin to kill several carthorses every day!

I must be doing something right!

Reactions: 2 people

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You certainly are. And I am jealous.

Please tell me EXACTLY how you have done it! (PM me if you like - but I'm sure everyone else would love to know!)

Laika Laika

Hi I am just starting the low carb diet as I have been a non meat eating person since my pancreas transplant 3 .5 years ago. I have since then put on about 10 kilos and need to lose it by end of November, I also have had a kidney transplant 5.5 years ago. My health is good now and I am impressed with all the comments about losing kilos on this diet. any tips on how to stick to it I have also joined a Gym and walk my dog twice a day. I am 54 years old, young a heart, love mostly in Spain to get away from the english weather although I do back every 2 months to see family. Any help on this diet would be great. :!:

Laika Laika

Grazer said:
BarbaraMc said:
I would just like to ask whereabouts beetroot fits in the scale of high carb, I know it is high fibre
Beetroot is 8.8 grams of carbs per 100grams weight, compared to potatos 20 - 30, new potatos 16'ish
Beetroot is slightly better than carrots. All are much better than parsnips! (one site shows parsnips as 23g per 100)
Good for you but your HBI level should be under 7!!!

Grazer

Laika Laika said:
Good for you but your HBI level should be under 7!!!

Was that comment for BarbaraMc or me, because I AM under 7 and I don't think barbara quoted hers? If you're reading my signature line you'll see I was 8.2 on diagnosis but 5.9 3 months later? Does strike me that if one of us was/is over 7, then a straight comment like yours wouldn't be too encouraging or helpful. Or did I misunderstand you?

pms543

Hi Viv

you say that this is the induction phase...how long does one do it for?

What would be the next phase? if any... or would you carry on until desired weight is achieved?

thanks

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
It all depends on how easy you find the diet and how much weight you have to lose (if any). I have a lot of weight to lose, so I try to keep my daily carb intake to around 30g - certainly below 50g - which I find easy enough.

Atkins originally had the Induction Phase for two weeks, but there are no problems with extending it. I've been on it for 18 months now (with odd exceptions eg birthdays), and all my blood tests are fine. Having said that, I relaxed my control a bit in September, to about 150g per day, and put 14lb back :shock: :oops: which if I'm honest was probably due to wine :oops: . So I'm back on the straight and narrow now.

If you want to add in more carbs, do so at a rate of 5g per day for a week. So you go from 25g to one week on 30g, to one week on 35g etc. Go for Low GI, slow-acting carbs. The idea is to gradually increase your carb intake until you find the level at which you stop losing weight (as in the book) or find your blood glucose levels going up again, for diabetic control.

Atkins calls this the 'Ongoing Weight Loss' or OWL phase. He lists various foods and portions sizes to give you your extra 5g carb - without his book you'll need scales and a carb counter book!

Once you find the level at which your weight remains stable (or in our case, your BG is under control), you eat at that amount of carbs from then on. This is the Maintenance phase.

One fact that has to be emphasised is that as you increase the carbs you gradually reduce the fat. He never advises low fat, - just be a bit more careful - with the mayonnaise, in my case :wink:

I hope that helps. PM me if you want to discuss it further.

Viv 8)

pms543

Thanks Viv, am so glad to have this thread to refer to lol...

Am starting tomorrow as I need to do a buying in today in preparation...will def pm you later x

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Oh, so glad you're still here Viv....your so inspirational. People still ask me how I can live without bread etc. But it's a lifestyle choice innit? And I've done so well, losing weight and not having to take insulin any more, although I do still need to take Lantus at night. I've lost 6 stone and seem to have come to a halt. I think my problem is exercise. I have osteoarthritis, lymphoedema and fibromyalgia, all impact on my mobility. I'm afraid there is no way I could possibly walk the amount I'm supposed to, although not too long ago I walked for at least 40 mins a day!! Any ideas anyone?? :roll: :roll: :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Well done with the weight loss, Sue - that's brilliant!

I understand about the exercise - I have mobility problems at the moment and find it very difficult to get enough exercise. However, I found a little book on Amazon called Rosie's Armchair Exercises, by Rosita Evans, which does exactly what it says on the tin!. Good for muscle tone.

After a 6-stone loss you're almost bound to have a plateau at some point. Don't let it get you down. If you persevere it will eventually start to come off again. How much more do you have to lose? The less there is, the more slowly it comes off, unfortunately.

Why not have a little careful break over Christmas, and get back strictly on the diet in the New Year?

Viv 8)

sue32

Dislikes
false people
I still have A LOT to go, about 4 or 5 stone to be honest :( . I don't really get disheartened I get frustrated that whatever I do the weight will not shift!! I've found a site www.realage.com....American i know, but there's a few good ideas on it, including a 'walk at home' video that I've tried and it's not too bad. Lasts around 14 minutes, which isn't too long. I find this low carbing has changed my life completely. 2 years ago I was in a right state....swollen legs, could hardly walk at all, had terrible trouble just getting in and out of a car!! Found low carbing and the rest is history. So many people ask me how I can live without bread but they don't realise that it not only gave me high sugars but it affected my body in other not-so-nice ways!!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
sue32 said:
I still have A LOT to go, about 4 or 5 stone to be honest :( . I don't really get disheartened I get frustrated that whatever I do the weight will not shift!! I've found a site http://www.realage.com....American i know, but there's a few good ideas on it, including a 'walk at home' video that I've tried and it's not too bad. Lasts around 14 minutes, which isn't too long. I find this low carbing has changed my life completely. 2 years ago I was in a right state....swollen legs, could hardly walk at all, had terrible trouble just getting in and out of a car!! Found low carbing and the rest is history. So many people ask me how I can live without bread but they don't realise that it not only gave me high sugars but it affected my body in other not-so-nice ways!!

Me too, Sue32 - you are not alone! I have at least another 5 stone to go, but I do find it much easier not to get fixated on the weight when I'm concentrating on the BG levels. I used to have puffy ankles all the time, but today I was admiring them in the shower - sleek to the point of almost bony :D . I wish the same could be said of the rest of me :lol:

We'll get there - onwards and downwards :thumbup: . If I come out the other side of New Year the same weight I am now, I'll be reasonably pleased with myself. My challenge for next year is another 2 stone off.

Thanks for the link - I'll have a look at that site.

Viv 8)

alliebee

Quite simply I think Ive died and gone to heaven,

Viv, This Modified eating plan sounds wonderful, On first reading I was concerned about the fats, but this morning I ran a printout of it for a Senior Consultant Cardiologist friend of mine ( Im a Theatre Sister) .and asked him for an honest opinion for me ( type 2) with high sugars at present.

Fully expecting him to say no, no good for you, I was amazed when he said that actually he has quite a few patients following this diet with a few variations, and that there are some remarkable, results with no rise in lipid levels, quite the reverse in fact he said.

The advice he gave to me is to give it a try, and have keep an eye on what bloods show in 3 months,
He said that this diet can show some huge differences in weight loss, in certain people and also that it is very effective in lowering the HB a1c .

So here goes, I have a feeling I am going to enjoy this.....

Thank you So much Viv

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been low carbing for a couple of weeks now and have seen a real improvement in my BG. But I am not losing weight!! My clothes seem looser, but the scales are not budging - does any one else have this problem?
I am not really hungry, so I am wondering if I am eating too much... I am not snacking between meals, which for me is a miracle :)