urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Can I change from type 2 diabetes to type 1 ?

Technically 'no', the conditions have different pathologies. Us T1's have a dead pancreas which is thought to be caused by an autoimmune condition, (although there is some evidence of drug induced T1 available). With T2's the pancreas is still working but the body cannot properly use the insulin it produces.

It is actually possible to have both types - known as double diabetes, but this is rare and as I understand it, usually starts with a T1 developing insulin resistance.

You can become an insulin dependent T2 but this does not make you a T1 although the symptoms and treatments are very similar.

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please dont call it ‘double diabetes’ there’s no such thing. It isn’t possible for a type 1 to also have type 2 as that would mean they are producing insulin again which they are not. It’s called having type 1 with insulin resistance.

Reactions: NorfolkNic

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Reactions: Circuspony
M

Member496333

You can't change diabetes types as such, but it is possible to develop autoimmune type 1 whilst also having pre-existing resistant type 2. More common would be a type 2 developing a later deficiency that is mistaken for type 1 when it's actually a clapped-out pancreas clogged with ectopic fat.

In summary one could conceivably develop type 1 if they already have type 2. @ickihun may want to pass comment in this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You must agree it’s a stupid term. It doesn’t help with trying to understand the many types of diabetes, not just type 1 and 2. Using the term ‘double diabetes’ is probably why so many people think type 1 can become type 2 and vice versa.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pulsar - I'm not quite clear what you mean.

Do you mean, can a person with Type 2 develop into someone with Type 1 diabetes? Or, are you a T1, but selected T2 when you set up your profile and would like to change it?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
You must agree it’s a stupid term. It doesn’t help with trying to understand the many types of diabetes, not just type 1 and 2. Using the term ‘double diabetes’ is probably why so many people think type 1 can become type 2 and vice versa.
Totally agree with you on that. The confusion when you tell people you are diabetic then they ask if you are the bad 1 or not :hilarious::hilarious:. I seriously think different names would be better!
**Sits back and waits for the comments**

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I once met a man at a Diabetes Uk event who had been told he was type 2 and because he had taken insulin, he was now type 1. I did not even try to explain the difference but think that it is this confusion between injecting or not injecting rather than double diabetes, a term which isn't widely used.
I agree that type 1 with insulin resistance is a better descriptor but double D is catchier term.
I also bristle when people are unsure about my type of diabetes mainly because I think there is some misplaced moral superiority if you are randomly auto immune versus having a condition which is popularly believed to be as a result of 'lifestyle choice' ( i do know better btw).

Reactions: jjraak

Pulsar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I asked because at hospital the diabetic nurse Said that I am now type 1 after 10 years of being type 2.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I asked because at hospital the diabetic nurse Said that I am now type 1 after 10 years of being type 2.
Did they say why they thought that?
If they did as specific blood test that proves its T1 (ie. GAD antibodies and C-Peptide), then its a fair point, however if it's just because you're now on insulin then that is an incorrect assumption without the relevant tests.

Reactions: porl69

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
My uncle was told the same thing. After years of being a type 2 and also very slim he’s recently been told he is now type 1. As most older type 2s don’t get tested for type - gad or c-peptide, perhaps Lada is possible? Or can the pancreas just slowly stop working completely over time?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally agree with you on that. The confusion when you tell people you are diabetic then they ask if you are the bad 1 or not :hilarious::hilarious:. I seriously think different names would be better!
**Sits back and waits for the comments**
If only more thought had gone into the naming game back in the day. I have to agree with you and the confusion when you simply say “ diabetic “ Emphasis your type of diabetes and people think your attempting some form of one upmanship. Especially with being type 1 and no1 being a more important number in some people’s eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak