JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm new to all of this, pre-diabetic and certainly still eating what I like [except cake, chocolate] with some moderate reduction in carbs [potatoes/bread] sort of following a lower carb mediterranean diet with plenty of veg, fruit, nuts, cheese, olive oil. But, but but after years and years of been told low fat is best still cannot go full fat and still opt for reduced fat cheese and lower fat meats. I hear the arguments but it does just not sit well. And yes, in the few posts I have made some replies have been quite dismissive, almost like just do as we say and don't dare question it , not bullying but certainly not supportive. I tend to stay away most of the time now and do my own research with just an occasional visit here.
There are many who are quite willing and wish to support you that does not mean they have to agree with or support all your Decisions or choices just your right to make those choices for your self if you so wish.

Reactions: HSSS

andyR57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eliminating cake and chocolate is I suggest reducing carbs. Eliminating Potatoes and Bread is again, unless I am mistaken also lowering carbs. I therefore fail to see how I have ignored peoples advise. I have also discussed the very low carb, high fat diet with my GP and they have told me it is too extreme in my present circumstances. Thus I have not gone very low carbs and I am not stuffing saturated fats down my throat for reasons I have explained earlier. I have in fact reduced my carb intake from about 250 a day to 100. I accept many people have more wisdom and experience than myself and I don't think I have suggested anywhere anything to the contrary. I made the point, as indeed have several other posters before me, that unless we totally embrace the notion of a very low carb diet - no questions asked, no doubts expressed, then responses are indeed dismissive and far from supportive and the very fact that I have had 3 responses, 2 of which are somewhat barbed in the last hour only illustrates the fact.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cannot believe that such a valued, loved, liked, respected and admired member of what was once a diabetic forum that embraced everyone is now posting a thread like this.
@Cumberland . ( if you’re still with us ) as has been pointed out so succinctly earlier.
“ no body is a prisoner here” which is probably the most disrespectful comment that could be made to someone who has given so much to the forum through thick and thin.
I think it’s obvious what the message really is.
Whatever your decision you will always be bigger than the forum. Like others who have gone before you , you will be a legend.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@andyR57 . Stand by your guns. People talk of experience, chat to a few type 1’s and you’ll soon realise what constitutes years of experience. Recently myself and 5 other T1’s tallied up our years of experience 220+ years.
That’s surviving healthy and in the most happily throughout our lives.
We’ve seen it all before, we thank the NHS for providing and doing their best to care for us, Eatwell plate didn’t kill us, technology was non existent compared to nowadays.
When we refuse to jump on the latest diet bandwagon we get questioned and bombarded with.....every YouTube presentation....known to man.
If you’ve found what works for you then stand tall and don’t feel pressurised into joining the in crowd, no matter how much experience they claim to have.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Folks can we get this thread back on topic please, it seems to have veered off to diets rather than forum membership. Thanks

Reactions: jjraak

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Cumberland, They appear to be ranking on Messages rather than your Ratings. Lies, Lies and Statistics. I really hope you stick around.
Messages 14,344 Ratings:+73,046 Trophy Points:298

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Folks, there has already been one request to keep this thread on topic. Any further derailing posts will be deleted.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again @Cumberland ,

Seeing as this is your topic, & you appear to be going through a difficult time.
Support should be aimed souly towards you. & you have my best on that.

You recently had an eye procedure which needs recuperation from. I hope that's going well?
You clearly seem to have other stuff happening too. (Probably not well timed for your good self.) This will need your full attention to resolve.

A guy's gotta do what he gotta do.. ;) (Not being gender specific, "that's life.")

With regards to your forum ranking issue.
It's common knowledge the forum was down for a couple of days due to maintenance recently. (This can happen from time to time.) sometimes it can be to strengthen a security issue that protects us all on here. Other times a culmination of ongoing development in improvements.. Namely to protect us all online as forum users. (It realy is a full time ongoing war against spammers & wot not.)
I'll give you some ex mod inside knowledge. What the "techies" do is totally beyond everyone. Even as a Mod, one just has to roll with it... (& take it on the chin.)

I'll be honest with you.. On reading the news & the ensuing recent shut down for maintenance, I expected to log in as a "guest" (can that be done?) with the name "Jay-Z." :banghead::D

The issue with topics such as this when they get in motion. Is they never seem to resolve what needs to be taken in hand regarding real life..

I mean this sincerely. Find your mojo. & see you soon. :) Don't sweat the "small stuff." :cool:

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Ok ok

Firstly thanks for the support by good meaning folks

Some comments have been hurtful so thanks for that

Do you know
Apart from Diabetes I have associated with that retinopathy and neuropathy

Retinopathy I have had 2 cataract ops in the last 12 months (each eye)

Neuropathy has got so painful that I was falling over and had to retire from the NHS last November on advice from Occ Health for this and other conditions

Chronic Kidney Disease- Stage 3

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease

Gastro oesophageal reflux disease

Non alcoholic steatopathic hepatitis (Liver disease)

So there’s a lot going on in my life a lot to deal with

And I do know of other good folk on here who struggle with daily life and some who manage ok

But we’re all diabetics (with the exception of a few non diabetic friends)

We’re all soldiers in the diabetic army

That’s all I’m going to say

I will stick to the ‘football’ thread as it’s not in your face and the posters on there are fab

So for the meantime I’m bowing out from the rest of the site and will no doubt see my post count slashed even further

edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tophat1900

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Delighted to see that you have reached a decision Cumberland.
In view of this, and the bickering about ways of eating earlier in the thread, the thread will now be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.