EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My 89 year old father has had T2 for about ten years. He's never been particularly high carb (my now deceased mother was T1 so carb wasn't a big part of their diet), but he did have the traditional T2 waistline and maybe a couple of stone to lose.

Since the death of my mother, he's spent the UK winter with me (first in Australia and now in New Zealand) and last Christmas he said he'd like to try low carb to see if he could improve his health and lose the excess pounds (he's very frail and can barely walk so carrying less weight would definitely help). So we duly went low carb, cut out the cereal, bread, potatoes etc and after 3 months he'd not only lost 1 1/2 stone but also significantly reduced his sugar levels.

A year ago his hba1c was 54 (and I believe he had a 60 before that but may be misremembering). He was on 3 * 80mg gliclazide per day. I was a little dubious as to whether he'd keep up the diet at home, but I just heard back from him after his latest trip to the DN. His new hba1c was 43 and she's cut him down to one gliclazide tablet, with the possibility of taking him off medication altogether at the next visit.

So, you're never too old and it's never too late to go low carb to improve your T2 situation. :):):)

He'll be here in a month's time so I'll be able to monitor his blood sugars and see how he's going on the new regime. (He has a meter but only really uses it when he says with me :)).

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

With reference to your title. So you should be.. & He of you. :)

Loving the good news.

Reactions: EllieM

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing which has surprised (and delighted ) me is the increased strength I have now compared with three years ago when diagnosed.
I can compare it exactly as each summer I go to the local Arts University and service their knitting machines. They put them in the same rooms each time, and there are the same number to do each year.
In 2016 I was really struggling, 2017 I could feel that there was a difference, 2018 I thought I was back to normal but this year it was even easier. At the age of 68, to be able to heft knitting machines around is most gratifying.

Reactions: EllieM

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My 89 year old father has had T2 for about ten years. He's never been particularly high carb (my now deceased mother was T1 so carb wasn't a big part of their diet), but he did have the traditional T2 waistline and maybe a couple of stone to lose.

Since the death of my mother, he's spent the UK winter with me (first in Australia and now in New Zealand) and last Christmas he said he'd like to try low carb to see if he could improve his health and lose the excess pounds (he's very frail and can barely walk so carrying less weight would definitely help). So we duly went low carb, cut out the cereal, bread, potatoes etc and after 3 months he'd not only lost 1 1/2 stone but also significantly reduced his sugar levels.

A year ago his hba1c was 54 (and I believe he had a 60 before that but may be misremembering). He was on 3 * 80mg gliclazide per day. I was a little dubious as to whether he'd keep up the diet at home, but I just heard back from him after his latest trip to the DN. His new hba1c was 43 and she's cut him down to one gliclazide tablet, with the possibility of taking him off medication altogether at the next visit.

So, you're never too old and it's never too late to go low carb to improve your T2 situation. :):):)

He'll be here in a month's time so I'll be able to monitor his blood sugars and see how he's going on the new regime. (He has a meter but only really uses it when he says with me :)).
Cheering news. Congratulations on both sides.

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Very Inspiring

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

What a heart warming and positive post @EllieM , well done to your dad, he's a star ⭐

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done to him (and you!).
Changing eating habits isn't easy at any age, but this proves it is possible AND reaps huge rewards.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant achievement both of you! Have a great time together x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A big well done, @EllieM 's dad! That really is a shining example to so many of us.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very inspiring, just shows you can teach an old dog new tricks! It is great @EllieM that your Dad can focus on a new regime and be successful. Brilliant!