JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Seems standard metformin plus pill cutter is a reasonable way to go.

Not the same I know but when I started on mestinon I had to use a pill cutter and divide a tablet into four and take a quarter of a tablet at a time then half then a full tablet a day now I'm on 6 tablets a day not because of the size they are not that large but because you had to build up your tolerance for them.

Mind you I could still manage to choke on them and I didn't know untill I'd been on them nearly two years that they in fact are water soluble.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Sorry that you are having problems Lucy. I struggle with all of my 42 daily concoctions of tablets, painkillers, Metformin, etc. They did find that along with a gastric stricture I had a hiatus hernia and I have to have this checked every other year. I've found that I do better swallowing when I'm standing up, well leaning on my crutches or a convenient wall. Even the ones I take with food I will try standing up to get them down. When in the wheelchair I sit up as straight as I can before I start taking them. The biggest problem is taking them when I'm stuck in bed but I'm hoping our new sit you up bed will help with this. The ones that can be cut up Michael does them before he puts them in their little daily boxes ready for me. He also arranges for my carer to be here if he's held up at work so that I don't take them on my own, but that might be more that I'd totally forget to take them!

SJS1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I also found those huge metformin tablets difficult to get down! Whenever I went for a repeat prescription it always seemed to be a different brand and then one time it was a different SMALLER brand but still slow release. This brand is called Sukkarto SR by Morningside Healthcare and I just rang my doctors surgery and asked to always have that brand. I do find this tablet has a slight taste whereas the big ones didn’t but mostly I get the smaller ones down ok. As another tip, I always take my pills with sparkling water which seems to get me swallowing better...hope this helps!

gailkeggans

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I need some advice. I have now been prescribed metformin SR. The tablets are too huge for me to swallow, and I cant cut them up. Any ideas on what I can do about this please? They are chalky, even though they are coated for the sustained release.

I am in the UK
Take it in a big spoonful of yoghurt or custard. Slides right over. I have the same problem

gailkeggans

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry that you are having problems Lucy. I struggle with all of my 42 daily concoctions of tablets, painkillers, Metformin, etc. They did find that along with a gastric stricture I had a hiatus hernia and I have to have this checked every other year. I've found that I do better swallowing when I'm standing up, well leaning on my crutches or a convenient wall. Even the ones I take with food I will try standing up to get them down. When in the wheelchair I sit up as straight as I can before I start taking them. The biggest problem is taking them when I'm stuck in bed but I'm hoping our new sit you up bed will help with this. The ones that can be cut up Michael does them before he puts them in their little daily boxes ready for me. He also arranges for my carer to be here if he's held up at work so that I don't take them on my own, but that might be more that I'd totally forget to take them!
Put tablet in a spoonful of yoghurt or custard. Works for me.

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
Now don't laugh at what I'm about to tell you, it is not a joke. A few years ago my son told me about a trick that he had read about difficulty when swallowing tablets. I have done it and it works. Take a large mouthful of water, put the pill in your mouth and then hold your ears closed, yes EARS not eyes, swallow and the pill should go down quite easily. The bit of your ear you do it with is the rounded bit called the Tragus which is flexible so that you can hold your ears closed with your fingers. Don't just push a finger in as it doesn't close the ear off tight enough. I have tried this method while leaning forward quite low so that it isn't relying on being upright and it still works. You could always just try it a couple of times and hopefully it will solve the problem but if it doesn't at least you will have tried my silly suggestion!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Now don't laugh at what I'm about to tell you, it is not a joke. A few years ago my son told me about a trick that he had read about difficulty when swallowing tablets. I have done it and it works. Take a large mouthful of water, put the pill in your mouth and then hold your ears closed, yes EARS not eyes, swallow and the pill should go down quite easily. The bit of your ear you do it with is the rounded bit called the Tragus which is flexible so that you can hold your ears closed with your fingers. Don't just push a finger in as it doesn't close the ear off tight enough. I have tried this method while leaning forward quite low so that it isn't relying on being upright and it still works. You could always just try it a couple of times and hopefully it will solve the problem but if it doesn't at least you will have tried my silly suggestion!
Ok does it make a difference if you're deaf with severe vestibular problems? Stupid question but I'll try it tomorrow, Michael will think I've gone even loopier than usual, might make him smile!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not silly it just looks silly! My hands weren't working too well this morning so he puts the biggest pill in, the Metformin and then he stood behind my chair saying, flaps in position, do your best, and that was it, straight down no bouncing off the side no aftertaste result. We did get the giggles though and when my carer came in to see what we were doing she had a small fit of hysterics, Leroy the dog was running around the table doing his seal impression of ark ark (he never ever barks at anything unless he's dreaming) so complete chaos in our house at .6.30 am, thank you so much Gloucester girl, you are amazing thank you.