Cream causes more inflammation than glucose?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this a US study? The feed and living conditions of the dairy herds, plus antibiotics, growth promotors, steroids etc, are different there, and could influence the results.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this a US study? The feed and living conditions of the dairy herds, plus antibiotics, growth promotors, steroids etc, are different there, and could influence the results.

Good point. I hope it's that. I love cream...

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just reading this and wondered if it could be true. Had anyone noticed a reduction in inflammation (C-Reactive Protein results?) after giving up dairy?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20067961
I quit (cow) milk products because it triggered my reumatism. After going low carb though I can tolerate a bit of (cow) dairy, just not a lot or more than one thing per few days. There's something in cowmilk that looks a lot like something we produce ourselves, and it triggers an immune response. (Don't ask me what exactly, it escapes me right now). Since that has nowhere to go, because no immune response is actually required anywhere, it just attacks my joints. As for the study, they based it on a high fat, high carbodyhrate diet, so that's inflammatory carbs in the mix there too.

I'm happy on low carb with goat's cheese, in any case. ;)

M

Member496333

I would think of more importance for many of us here is cream vs. persistent hyperinsulinemia, before we even get started on persistent hyperglycaemia. The real story isn't cream vs. glucose, but cream vs. constantly elevated glucose and insulin as a result of consuming too much glucose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jjraak and Cocosilk

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My lipids and c-reaction results improved after going low carb - I drink less cows milk, but all full fat instead of skimmed, have double cream everyday instead of very occasionally, and eat more cheese.

I've not noticed this triggers any extra symptoms from my allergic rhinitis, osteoarthritis or fibromyalgia, but some people react to dairy. And I mostly stick to organic milk and cream.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just reading this and wondered if it could be true. Had anyone noticed a reduction in inflammation (C-Reactive Protein results?) after giving up dairy?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20067961

Forgive me - I haven't read the article yet, but would say that many more people than realise it seem to have some degree of intolerance to dairy, or more often the lactose elements. I'm guessing for those there would likely be an improvement at least.

Because of the package of autoimmune conditions spread across my family - past and present, my astonished (that I appear to have missed many AI bullets to date) Endo instructed I go gluten free, "as folks with AI in their lives do well that way" (paraphrased). He then went on to mutter under his breath about dairy. So far, I'm resisting that one, but if any of my swathe of antibody tests start shuffling towards concerning levels, it can go.

Low carb, gluten and dairy free is quite a strict gig, in my view. Respec' to those who do it (I'm thinking @LooperCat , @Brunneria and a few others here).

Edited to add, my last hsC-RP results, from September came in at 0.28, with a range <10, so for now, I'm not getting too twitchy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cocosilk

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @DCUKMod

I haven't managed to kick the dairy habit yet, although I can see it coming in a year or two.
But Low Carb is an utter necessity, if I want to feel well.
And Gluten Free is an utter necessity if I want to avoid constant pain from inflamed joints, with flakey bits of skin falling off all the time (psoriasis for several weeks after every glutening).

As for C-Reactive Protein results, they have been high for years - while going low carb and going GF, then carnivore, none of which reduced the C-RP by significant amounts.

Due for another test in the next few months, and it will be interesting to see if my current anti arthritis campaign (turmeric, glucosamine, chondroitin, bone broth, additional collagen and trying v hard not to annoy my joints doing things that make them hurt) will show a drop in C-RP. At the moment all I can say is that the pain is much reduced, and the joints are a lot less crunchy and poppy and grindy, which is a fab result so far.

Oh, and different joints seem to react to different foods. Anyone else get a clear reaction in their thumbs from tomatoes? Bizarre, but very obvious. lol. Ah well, at least they don't prick (yet), as in by the pricking of my thumbs... ;)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Low carb, gluten and dairy free is quite a strict gig, in my view. Respec' to those who do it (I'm thinking @LooperCat , @Brunneria and a few others here).

I’m not gluten free - although I am cow-dairy & meat free, as well as keto. I eat a little goat/sheep cheese and butter, and make high protein savoury meat substitutes using vital wheat gluten, as it’s really low carb. I do mostly avoid eating grains though, although a little does me no harm as long as I dose appropriately for it. Liv-Life bread is one exception, as were the much missed Lidl Hi-Protein bread rolls :(

M

Member496333

For the most part I am also dairy free now. I eat some hard cheese but my understanding is that it has less/none of the potential issues of regular dairy. Something to do with the proteins being 'folded'. Not something I know a great deal about. I quit cream mainly because I quit coffee. My hs-CRP was already low beforehand, but I haven't had it measured since.

Reactions: Cocosilk

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoy full fat milk and double cream in large quantities, with no reaction at all.

M

Member496333

That rings true with my own experience. I am/was able to glug back an entire pot of double cream with no glucose excursion at all.

EDIT: for the avoidance of doubt my comment was not meant to imply that cream causes elevated glucose. Merely that constantly elevated glucose and insulin (for whatever reason) is a different story to simply comparing short term glucose to cream (with regard to inflammation).

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Member496333

Aren’t you digressing from the thread Jim. My post referred to inflammation.

Sure, ok. I didn't realise you were taking postprandial hs-CRP measurements. But I was just curious so yes let's move on :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sure, ok. I didn't realise you were taking postprandial hs-CRP measurements. But I was just curious so yes let's move on :D
Just to keep you straight. I don’t have any postprandial hs-CRP measurements but to reiterate my post, I enjoy cream and milk without any reaction.

My wife on the other hand, is lactose intolerant. I have been encouraging her to take some goats cheese but so far her computer says no.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Unless Jim is referring to a home C-Reactive Protein test.
Just to keep you straight. I don’t have any postprandial hs-CRP measurements but to reiterate my post, I enjoy cream and milk without any reaction.

My wife on the other hand, is lactose intolerant.

How do you know you have no reaction without testing?

You can do a home C-Reactive Protein test you know other wise your statement is totally subjective.

M

Member496333

My wife on the other hand, is lactose intolerant. I have been encouraging her to take some goats cheese but so far her computer says no.

And on reflection you are right. For some reason I connected your comment directly to glucose. Had I not done so, I would not have asked the question at all. Mea culpa :angelic: